Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Which would you choose-Scorpio dilema!!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Which would you choose-Scorpio dilema!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Which would you choose-Scorpio dilema!!!  (Read 997 times)
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

Which would you choose-Scorpio dilema!!!
« on: Jun 7th, 2005, 8:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Guys,

Really need to some professional advice on the Scorpio dilema I've found myself in.......

2 weeks ago (Wednesday 24/5) I bought (from a garage) a Cosworth Ultima, auto saloon. N reg '95 with 88k on the clock. FSH upto 70k and a few receipts for odds and sods. Up for £2300, £1300 p/x on my current car, £100 deposit then £900 to pay upon collection.
(The car only has 1 key and 1 remote. The auto dim mirror has faded and is near to useless and the speakers are well and truly broken-all would need replacing at a fair old cost)

When I went to check it out the radiator had sprung a leak and I was told not to worry as that would be replaced when they serviced it. Told it would be ready on the Saturday.
It wasn't-the water pump had gone, so that too would be replaced. They had ordered one and i was told it would be ready Tuesday/Wednesday (last week)  
I called them and apparently the wrong pump had been sent and they were having troubles sourcing a new one...would I mind waiting a few more days?
So, I called on Saturday and good news! They'd found one and it would be delivered Monday, or Tuesday at the latest (Today) so the car would be ready tonight.  
I called them this afternoon after work and yet again....still not ready-pump yet to turn up-can I wait till tomorrow!

I don't know how anyone else would feel but I'm feeling a bit like a mug. Its as if I'm chasing a carrot on a stick. If I wait till tomorrow then it probably still won't be ready and I'll have to wait even longer! It makes me wonder if there has been anything else wrong with the car? Don't get me wrong -the garage do seem genuine (though I've never used them before) but it feels like it isn't meant to be.  

I told the garage to "knock it on the head". I'm tired of waiting and said i'd collect my deposit later. He said ok then hung up.  

To make matters a little more difficult, yesterday at work I met someone who has a '98 S reg Scorpio 2.3 Ultima estate who was p/x'ing it on a car tomorrow. He said I could have it for £1500. 110k on the clock but fully serviced-everything maintained-no expense spared.

He's a really nice, genuine guy and he brought it round tonight for me to have a look at. Everything is in tip top condition-the autobox is smooth and it drives like a dream. The only thing wrong is a tyre would need replacing for the MOT. (comes complete with 2 keys, 2 remotes and the red master key too)

I love his car and I think £1500 is a bargain! But it would leave me with 2 cars. Obviously I would have to sell the other but I really haven't got the time to be bothered with the hassle of advertising and dealing with people coming round to see it. I'm currently on a course for a foundation degree and the majority of my spare time is spent studying.

What do you think? Should I call the garage tomorrow and hope its sorted and go for that one (3 months warranty but costs a bit more)
Or should I get myself a bargain (the estate would be better for us/its newer/seems a better condition+car) and then worry about selling my car at a later dateHuh??

Why isn't anything simpleHuhHuh

Thanks for any input.....if you've actually got this far  Grin
IP Logged

After years of wanting I finally got!!!!
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

Re: Which would you choose-Scorpio dilema!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 9:10pm »

that a hard one Wayne but only you can answer  
24v great i would love one but a s reg 2.3 would be great too ,,,,,,, at the end of the day go with your gut feeling and worry about it later if it was wrong
       Lee
IP Logged
ADroste

S-Type 2.7D SE 2008 replaced Scorpio 2.3 Ult.1998

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 9:32pm »

Wayne,

for me this would not be a question: take the 2.3 Ultima! The 1998 cars have overcome nearly all design and manufacturing problems of earlier models. And the 2.3 is not so thirsty as the cosworth. For my taste the '95 car as some weak points too much. So try to shift the deposition to a moment when you have more time.
HTH
Armin
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 9:57pm »

Thanks guys,

Thanks for sticking with it and getting to the end....bit of a short story going on there!

Practically came up with the same thoughts of you both and went with the gut feeling and called the guy with the 2.3.....and bought it from him-pick it up tomorrow at work  Grin  

We're gonna take my current car to a few garages at the weekend and see what happens.....if not theres always the weekend after.
The interior seems a lot more solid and looked after in the 2.3.....the insurance is cheaper and the mpg is a whole lot better. Will save more in the long run    Grin Grin
IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 10:05pm »

As a 24v owner, I feel that I'm meant to say "Go for the Cossie".
However, as you said yourself, it seems like that one's not meant to be  Undecided

Now this 2.3 sounds like a good one, and the 2.3's are great cars. So personally, I'd go for this one. Go for the better car and have the hassle of selling yours later.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 10:07pm »

AHA... you beat me to it.

Sounds like you made a wise move   Cool
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 10:59pm »

They did overcome all of the design flaws....apart from the rusty rear wheel arches c/o the old Granadas!!
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 11:03pm »

As much as I'd love a Cosworth the voices in my head are been sensible for once and telling me it sounds like an unwise investment.
I've got a motorbike that can crack a ton in 6 seconds so if I'm honest I don't really need the performance.  

The guy I'm buying the 2.3 from seems the sensible type who wouldn't scrimp on servicing/maintainance costs etc.....and he is buying a new Jag  Shocked

Just can't wait till tomorrow...................finally got me a Scorpio  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 12:15am »

Wayne,

you'll have to change your line at the bottom of your posts now!!
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 9:35am »

Wayne,

the '98 car will probably be a better bet for the money, like you say if this chap is upgrading to a Jag he is unlikely to have scrimped ovet the Scorpio. I have the 24v and have no experience of the 2.3 but believe it is a very good engine.

Hope all goes well  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 3:31pm »

Got the 2.3 today!!!!!
And went to the garage and got my deposit back as well. Its a good day!!!!! Though I can't change my insurance over until Saturday/Sunday as I've just put a claim in on my other car for the windscreen. (Don't you just love comprehensive insurance and autoglass!! £50 for Mondeo windscreen) Think i'll have to spend the next few days sitting in the car and polishing it  Sad  Wink

Baz-thanks mate. I totally forgot about the bottom line. I'm working on it  Cheesy

I hope so Dave-first impressions are good so far but there are a couple of things that I'll have to sort out.

Finally a Scorpio owner!!!!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

craig

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 3:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

and a fellow 2.3 as well Wink Wink Wink
IP Logged
music_master

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 9th, 2005, 10:29pm »

just like me to craig a fellow estate owner and u and baz know wot  i think of the 2.3  love it love it love  Grin happy motoring  ROFL
IP Logged
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10th, 2005, 11:33am »

Me too got a 2.3 and love it to bits,also remember that the 2.3 was also designed by cosworth...and it shows.
Smooth and powerful. Well done mate! Grin
Ferret
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11th, 2005, 5:59am »

Cheers chaps,  Grin

Very confidence inspiring! Certainly sounds like I made the right choice! (aaaaannnnndddddddd-apparently the Cossie still isn't ready  Shocked )
Just hope I can sell my Mondeo quickly.

IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 11th, 2005, 7:11am »

Any photos then?   Roll Eyes
IP Logged

waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11th, 2005, 7:49am »

As much as it frustrates me Paul I've decided to leave it at work until its insured and I keep forgetting my camera.
Hopefully if the new windscreen gets installed on my Mondeo today the Scorpio will be insured this evening  Grin
In all honesty though I'm a little reluctant to go too far as the rear tyres are probably past the legal limit.

Will get some pics tonight......hopefully  Wink
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.