Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:17pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Wheel Bearings »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Wheel Bearings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Wheel Bearings  (Read 777 times)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Rear Wheel Bearings
« on: Jul 11th, 2005, 6:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm   hearing disturbing  stories  of  the  weakness  and subsequent  failure of   rear  wheel  bearings.  Any  quick and  sure way ( apart   from  dismantling them ) when  jacked  up  of   testing  their   condition?
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Rear Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 8:03pm »

Only the age-old method of wiggling the wheel to check for a wobble, and rotating it whilst listening for squeaks 'n' scrapes.  Undecided
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
dart

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 8:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I once heard a whinning,droneing niose from the rear near side of the car and thought"It'll be alright for a while yet"It was the wheel bearing,it shattered,loud bangs and clonks!  I had only noticed that noise for a couple of days!,on holiday in Scotland!. It gave in 17 and a half miles away from anywhere,(No mobile signal)so I limped it back down the side of Loch Maree to the digs at 4mph(destroying the stubb axle in the process) 3 and a half hours of worry!  If you here the said noise,Don't test it,replace it straight away!! Wink
IP Logged
Ultima_Stu

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 9:40pm »

Been here and got this T-Shirt!

As above if you can here it, do something. The cars soundproofing does a great job of hiding it.

I did the same 'it will wait' and destroyed the bearing, hub, disc & pad, caliper mount etc and it all adds up as the wheel does all but fall off. Fortunately it went bang at low speed and not on the motorway where I had been not half an hour before.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 11:19pm »

Seems to be a real weak point on the  scorp.  I'll  just  rely on  the fact   that  after driving  many  weird and wonderful  high mileage   crocks  for more years than I care to remember, not  once have I had any trouble with wheel bearings.

Undecided
IP Logged
dart

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 10:21pm »

ooh you fate tempter!! Grin Grin
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 11:14pm »

As said if you ever hear that noise? Change the bearing A.S.A.P.
The bearing will never have play in it unless the nut is loose or if the whole thing has shattered or cracked from the heat build up.
Often people think the bearing has play but infact it is the suspension arm bushes.
IP Logged

Dave
locky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 7:30pm »

Guess what happened to mine today!! Roll Eyes

Rear wheel bearing failure, luckily it gave in on the motorway slip road and I hadn't built up much speed.  Locked the back wheel up completely, at about 55mph Shocked Shocked Shocked

Had to limp it back home (not nice) so off to Ford tomorrow to get all the bits!! Undecided  Had been reading this thread as mine started to squeek too over the last few days, Roll Eyes  so best follow advice given above CHANGE IT!!!
IP Logged
dart

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 9:29pm »

As you have seen from above post ,I've been in the same sticky spot! let us know the cost of repair! mine was £200 for bearing and ground down axle replacement (I was on holiday at the time,not going to do it myself Wink) Sorry to hear of the problem Locky ,hope all involved where OK?
         dart
IP Logged
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 1:02am »

if i'd have 'gone a knacker' alongside loch maree, i'd have just sat on the shore, sipped my bottle of single malt, and listened to runrig! some things in life can wait! But if you were up there, in that state, just enjoy the surroundings (beats the hard shoulder of any motorway, any day!), and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow!
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.