Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Lazer blue headlights »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Lazer blue headlights
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lazer blue headlights  (Read 1626 times)
Chad66

'96 2.9 12v Ultima

View Profile

Lazer blue headlights
« on: Oct 20th, 2005, 8:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone got any recommendations about changing the headlights to those fancy blue/white lamps as opposed to the normal yellow/white lamps?

I brought a pair of supposedly 'lazer blue' lamps from Halfords which don't appear to be any different from the originals....

I've also seen those "super bright xenon lamps" advertised on e-bay...I don't believe the hype though....

Any advice?
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Lazer blue headlights
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 8:34am »

I have tried many different bulb types to try & improve on the very poor performance of the scorp h/lamps, including some of the xennon bulbs in 55 & 100w, small improvements were made with seperate aux relays to each h/lamp, additional earths to the bulb holders, best bulbs to date are Lucas rally blue, I know they are not for road use as they are 100w, but it brings the h/lamps up to what I think is the min acceptable, I do a lot of night driving on unlit country roads, even so they arent even close to the lights on my other car (Rover 827) even if I use standard bulbs in that, in the old days I would just bolt on a pair of super oscars.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 9:18am »

You could go the whole hog and get a set of proper xenon lamps, ballasts etc. but expect to pay at least £150 for a decent set
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 11:21am »

hi there

i use these ones

as i said in the past, the biggest lose of light output to the road is worn lenses. if you ever had to drive with one new and one worn lens, you would see want i mean!
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 2:02pm »

Can   lenses  wear ?    Is  it  not  a  dingy   reflector  that  dulls  the light output ?

I find  that whatever bulb you put in , whether they are advertised as " 50% more light "  or " SuperBright  Xenon ,  they   are  still only rated at  55 watts,  which aligned with the inferior  H1   bulb size     is   a   pretty  poor   combination.  Dipped  beam  on  country  roads  can be   rather  hairy.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 2:31pm »

hi mr floopy

the lens is the glass part. all the grit, flys, etc all scratch the glass, a bit like a pair of glasses. when they are all scratched, you can't see very well. same thing, really. it's much easier to see when comparing new for old.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1115456481;start=1#1
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 3:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i tried just about every bulb going including the 100w ones (did quickly take these out though because of the risk of the wiring melting !!!),i now run the halfords super xenon white ones,i do however agree with scorpio_ man that the lenses can make a BIG difference,i replaced the bulbs when i still had the old pre facelift lenses in,and to be honest could only see a small improvement,however since changing the lenes as well to the newer facelift ones,you really do notice the difference,so in my opinion,for the sake of about £90.00 you could have 2 new lenses and the brighter bulbs as well...................
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 11:08am »

trying out different bulbs on my scorp i found that changing the dipped bulbs to 100w made not much different, but changing the full beam bulbs to 100w items they made quite a big difference. The biggest difference was when last week i fitted a pair of 9inch Hella long range spotlights to my grill, even with 55w bulbs you can see a mile ahead, currently trying to track down some 130w bulbs for a little bit more power  Smiley  will see how good they during my rally tonight...

Matt
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 2:25pm »

130 watt!    Am I right in thinking that the wiring  is designed for a certain  bulb wattage   and any  upgrading  of wattage can  overheat  the wiring?
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 2:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

yes...... Shocked
IP Logged
Chad66

'96 2.9 12v Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 3:00pm »

Oh dear, this thread seems to going the wrong way....

I don't want to increase the wattage of the existing system....previous threads will spell out the dangers to anyone considering this....I don't think Scorpio electrics respond well to tinkering!!

But, I do like the look of those blue/white lights that BMW/Lexus/Merc have at the moment...even saw a Nissan Primera with them!

Are they a totally different type of light fitment or can we replace bulbs like for like?

IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 3:20pm »

hi there

they are HID lamps. about $350 a set (i think!) not even sure if they fit or not Undecided
http://gohid.com/hid-automobile-table_2809.html
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 3:55pm »

I've read other threads saying that the wiring is most probably not be up to it, so not to tempt fate the spotlights are wired up to a separate relay which is activated when the main beam is switched on, so hopefully no melting of wires. been running 100w dipped bulbs and 100w main beam for a while now and they seem to be ok.

Matt
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 8:25pm »

I used to have a MK2 Granada with 8 130w spotlights on the front (boy racer days) Cheesy
had to use seperate wires and relays for them but it made a difference at night Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Big_Green_Tank

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 2:57pm »

Just done some quick maths on the head light wattage.
Remembering that the formula is IxV=W, then W/V=I   I is the current drawn!
So with a 55 Watt bulb it is 4.5 amps and with a 100 Watt bulb it is 8.6 amps.
Any one know what the power feed wire to and from the headlight relay is rated at?
Unless they have used less than 10 amp rated wire for it I would think that the 100 watt bulbs probably won't cause a problem.
But don't quote me on it cos maybe the were real "Skinflints" on the headlight wires!

Bob
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 9:34pm »

I think the wires will be the last that burn, first thing will be the light swith that goes, and then the signaling stick .......if they dont the wires will eventualy melt away  Tongue
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.