Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:23am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fixable if i buy it ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Fixable if i buy it ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fixable if i buy it ?  (Read 574 times)
bluemarlin

going for a scorpio

View Profile

Fixable if i buy it ?
« on: Dec 31st, 2005, 11:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guys

Well i looked at a 2.3 Ultima today seemed pretty sound very clean engine seemed smooth, brakes good, aceleration smooth

The MOT had an advisory about an exhaust sheildHuh

Just a  few things which i noticed, the sunroof metal surround seems rusted and it doesn;t close flush at the leading edge - no sign of water in the car looks like any that may have got through went straight down the drain holes. It is electric and works fully in all directions. The 2 arms either side are rusted also.

Is the allignment fixable so to get a flush fit and i guess with the state of the surround i may needa whole new roof??

small bubblng of rust on nearside rear wheel arch - can be treated ??

the door tray with theseat memorys on seems loose - just a fixing to tighten i guess?

other than that it seems pretty sound for an s reg with 99k on 2 owners ford and then one private owner, all alloys un-marked, 4 new tyres and new spare tyre, all old MOT's but no receipts for any work done - although it looks like nothing has had to be done to it, the fuel cut off loom looks inmaculate, engine looks clean but not too clean.

Martin
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Fixable if i buy it ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 11:22am »

Whats the gear box oil like ,  and the gear changes? Does it engage gears immediatley or within a second or two, particularilly reverse?
The sun roof seal is replaceable but as the car has CC i doubt if you will ever use it.  I don't on mine!
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
bluemarlin

going for a scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 11:31am »

Gear changes ok - not quite sure what you mean with the second or two - it's a manual just seemed to change as any manual i've driven

Is the allignment on the sunroof a fixable thing.

Martin
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 12:38pm »

Sorry did not realise it was a manual I was refering to Auto. With regards the sunroof See here for the manual http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/sunroof.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 1:42pm »

Hi Martin,

glad you got to see the car.  

As per the link that Snoopy posted the sunroof is not an insurmountable problem at all. One or two owners have even replaced the glass with one from an earlier Granada as rust seems less of an issue.

Exhausts have heat shields, usually just held on with a couple of bolts. They keep heat away from certain parts of the car but do rust away eventually, sometimes quite quickly.  

As our Scorpios get older (oldest are 10 years now) they become more susceptible to rust so a bit of bubbling on the arches is by no means unexpected and can be treated or removed completely by a suitable bodyshop.

Door trays can come loose (2 bolts) or the holes that the fixing bolts go through can become too large and the tray rattles. You can get round this by putting a washer on the screw as it goes through the tray.

Hope this helps  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
bluemarlin

going for a scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 4:07pm »

Well from what you guys say it seems like the bits wrong arn't major so i will be making the guy an offer

he wants 1990 for it but without any warranty appart from standard sale of goods act so i think that gives for some reduction - another i have seen had 6 months warr. with it. also there are bits that need attention so ....  

Martin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.