Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cheap fuel »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   cheap fuel
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cheap fuel  (Read 2919 times)
tjp_lawson

I love bob( thats my engine by the way)

View Profile Email

cheap fuel
« on: Feb 12th, 2006, 10:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all don`t know if this has been mentioned already but there is a company trying to secure cheaper fuel prices for all who join, they have already in priciple made an agreement witha large supplier, Smiley the website address is   www.pipelinecard.org  it only takes a moment to register could be valuable to any one with one of our tanks
IP Logged

tyroe
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: cheap fuel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 11:51pm »

I do like the idea, but it says in the first few pages that:

We are not 'motorists' as we have been branded. We are teachers, nurses, professional and business people, parents. We drive because we have to.

Then when you read the short biography of the guy who founded the idea; Ben Scammell it then says:

Ben has always had a keen interest in performance cars and motor racing. He is a very active member of the Mitsubishi Lancer Register (the owners club for his dream car, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution!), and spends much of his free time organising events for the clubs member's. Ben also enjoys racing his Caterham 7 Roadsport in the Caterham Roadsport Inter championship with "varying" success! (Schumacher's safe for a few more years yet.....)

Sounds like pretty good description of a hobby to me rather than a neccessity!

This will never get going to any great degree because the fuel people don't have to reduce their prices; Ben and the gang will still have to buy it even if it goes back to a pound a litre because like them, we all have to get to work and some of us decide to drive ridiculous gas guzzling mobsters. Now don't get me wrong, I think that the price we pay is far too much but even though some progress was made during the fuel protests a few years ago, the one they tried last year was met with total apathy because while the likes of Shell continue to make £18 Billion pounds in profit, they aren't going to reduce prices because their shareholders won't let them.

Just as an aside to this, one of my customers is a company which sells fuelcards and runs the operations. They have only offices, no trucks or fuel stations. They started just before my company was formed and the guy who owns it has just paid 1.75 million for a house only to completely gut it and spend another 1 million fitting it out again. His company only makes a penny or so a litre but when you realise how much we buy and he makes out of it, he isn't going to give that up is he?

LPG is the only way forward now. Just about to fit it to mine, the equivilant of running a Cosworth for the price of a diesel!
IP Logged
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 10:29am »

on Feb 12th, 2006, 11:51pm, Baz wrote:

.LPG is the only way forward now. Just about to fit it to mine, the equivilant of running a Cosworth for the price of a diesel!

I agree with that.
I bought my scorp already converted. How much this has changed pocket. Wish I had done this ages ago.
I dont think I will ever go back to anything else again. Grin
IP Logged

derekne
leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 6:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hmmn yes... LPG

Been thinking about this one for a while.  

Just a few thoughts though.
Many many many MANY miles need to be traveled before the initial outlay cost has been recuperated though.  What are we talking for fitting?  A grand?

Hasnt the price of LPG also risen in the last few years?

If everyone starts to use LPG wont the government start taxing that also to gain its losses or just because they are greedy things?

Is performance the same as with petrol?  If not, kind of defeats ownership of a Cossie does it not.

Loss of boot space or spare wheel?

Extra Danger having a pressurised container in boot?  Incidentaly how come warning signs dont have to be displayed on the rear of cars fited with LPG?  I used to drive a hospital truck and it was covered in warning signs 'cos it contained bottles of Nitrogen/CO2/Oxygen etc.  I know these can be rather cold/smothering/volatile but they were only the odd bottle.

Forgive nme but i dont know much about LPG in all fairness  Lips Sealed
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 7:51pm »

hi there

a couple of general figures....

unleaded  88.9p  v  LPG 39.9p  (less than 1/2).
MPG     20  v     20 (same mpg).

miles per year 12,000
cost of petrol   £2429
cost of LPG £1213
saving   £1216

fitting about £1700 inc.
payback time about 18 months (less if more miles)

re badging. yes, all LPG conversion should have a sign (mine are on both wings). the tank are solid. at least 3 times thicker than a petrol tank. mines in the wheel well. i carry a can of 'foam', like the clio sport.

re performance. no difference. you need to check it's on gas!  

regards
IP Logged
leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 9:56pm »

And dont you have to start the engine on petrol first or summat?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 10:04pm »

yes, but only for about 2 mins.

if i wanted to, i could set mine up just to run on gas.
IP Logged
leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 10:21pm »

And if its so great.....

... why dont you?  Or is it not allowed?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 10:40pm »

easier to start on petrol. remember you don't have lambda control for the first 3 mins. by letting it start on petrol, the car does the hard work. the gas is in liquid state until heated. once warmed up a bit, every runs smoothly.

as i said, just makes it easier. Smiley
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 12:16am »

I've got a full LPG system in my boot ready to fit, cost me less than 2 months worth of petrol, can fit it myself, get it certified by an approved installer for £40.00 (providing I do it properly!!) and it is the same system fitted to the car on the website owned by the webmaster himself (or it was owned then by Steve!)!!

Even if it runs a bit less better ?? on gas, if you want true "Cosworth" mode, just switch back to petrol! I have been thinking about it for ages and when this came up it was too good to miss. I went to the South of France in my Cossie last year and it cost me nigh on £600.00 in fuel alone would work out just over £250 on Gas
IP Logged
barrie

24V The only way to fly

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 7:12am »

Baz our 24v runs on gas, we had ours done as soon as we got our car. If it is set up right there will be no difference on performance at all.
IP Logged
janspeed

Mmmmm Beer

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 8:28am »

Smiley
I used to have a Landrover Discovery V8 3.9.
The tanks were slung underneath, i went on a off road holiday to France on a battle field tour.
I went over rocks U.X.B`s and ther were a few scratches on the tanks but none were ruptured.
I read that they test these tanks by filling them with water, pressurising them and drop them from a helicopter at about 500 ft.

Then i had a 4.6HSE Rangy, that was great, i could start that on gas.
There was no loss of power, well none that you could notice, not in a 4.6.
That had a wheel well tank and a tank in the boot with out any big loss of space, total 160 ltrs.
Had to get rid due to the spiralling maintenance costs and another addition to the family.

Jay
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 8:46am »

I can relate to the tank strength, I am not a small bloke but I struggled getting out of the old car and into my boot!!

Just got to wait till I have cleared a space in the garage to get the nose of the car in so I car start the front end. so may be a while yet, but it will be done and hopefullly off to Germany in August!
IP Logged
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 2:46pm »

on Feb 14th, 2006, 7:12am, barrie wrote:
Baz our 24v runs on gas, we had ours done as soon as we got our car. If it is set up right there will be no difference on performance at all.

Mine has the same performance as petrol I cant tell at all. I have tried this on steep hills and mile for mile its exactilly the same.
IP Logged

derekne
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 5:35pm »

I love having LPG..it never stops making me smile when I dont have to give that Gangster..sorry Chancellor 75% fuel duty a litre.. There are only 120 000 out of 28,000,000 cars converted so far so it's not in their interests to tax it yet..cos they ll make more mony on the conversion costs like Vat and business tax..when the numbers rise of lpg cars significantly then the gangsters in Downing street will tax the poor yet again for the 2000 th time since 1997... and of course patronise us all by blaming Putin and the cost of his gas  when we all know its an offshoot  of petrol production. Do what Im doing mate and get out of this dump b4 the country implodes..Canada loks very good to me esp as they ve just discovered a massive oil deposit Agree Agree Agree
IP Logged

leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 6:06pm »

on Feb 14th, 2006, 5:35pm, stafford wrote:
Ithen the gangsters in Downing street will tax the poor yet again Agree Agree Agree

Dont you mean Kildare Street mate?

Cheesy
IP Logged
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 6:23pm »

no i live here my friend and suffer along with my english friends!!!
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 6:36pm »

Did you try your pic yet Stafford?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 6:39pm »

got the flag up ok looking nice blowing in the wind. What do i do again to get the pic of my car on the bottom of the threads.. i tried going into My Profile and do itHuh
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 6:46pm »

In the signature part of your profile type this  

IMG]http://atlas.walagata.com/w/highlander250469/Stafford.gif[/IMG]

with a [ at the beginning before the IMG, I might need to play about with the size of it a bit if its too big
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.