Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:37am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« electrically conductive paint »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   electrically conductive paint
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: electrically conductive paint  (Read 1074 times)
Andy

Scorpio driver, Goth, and Gary Numan Fan

View Profile Email

electrically conductive paint
« on: Mar 25th, 2006, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smiley I read somewhere on the site about 'electrically conductive paint' being a way of repairing a worn scorpio 'remote key fob', and the price mentioned was around £12, sourced from Holland.  

I did a little hunting around and found that the online electrical giant 'Maplin' sell a small vial (containing enough to repair many fobs!) for around £6.99 plus postage and vat.  

I got mine for around a tenner, and it arrived very quickly through the (not so) snail mail, and I am now happily 'remoting' my scorpio.  

Not wanting my locks to seize up, however, i have followed your advice and wd40'd the locks and use the key as well.

Having only bought the car three weeks ago, I'm still working my way around it. I have discovered that I have no red master key, so am taking steps to sort that out.  

And my sunroof doesn't work - there is an awful sound from it, like the cogs have stripped - when i press the button, and it doesn't open.  

Anyway, until the warmer ,drier weather arrives, I've sealed it up with some clear tape - water was dripping on my head on rainy days! - until i get eh opportunity to have a look at what is required to fix it. possibly a new motor, hopefully not the whole sunroof.

how do i post a picture of my scorpio to the site?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: electrically conductive paint
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 6:59am »

Welcome. You need to say what car and when it was first registered as I understand that some of the later cars did not have a red key. As for the sunroof it sounds like you are correct in that the 'plastic' yes 'plastic'! cog in the motor has been chewed up. A common fault .It sounds as though the roof hasn't moved for a long while as there are drain holes in the front which should allow the water to run away down pipes behind each windscreen pillar. This will help you.http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/sunroof.htm. As for the photos you need to post them to a host site and then link them to this site. I'm afraid I am a dunce in these matters but the advice will be posted shortly I'm sure.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 7:14am »

With regards the RED master key this can be done cheaper than through a FMD try the autolock smiths  local to you they also have the equipment try here cost is about £60 for NEW red key and two new keys also the come to you . Well my guy around here does  
http://www.home-own.co.uk/ala/
If you live near Luton there is a member on the site who does it a bit cheaper.AFAIK.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 7:48am »

As for the photos, you could try www.photobucket.com I understand.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 8:09pm »

Cheesy Thanks for your advice, I'll follow up a local auto locksmith before going any further with the red key quest, although i have recently bought a red blank off ebay. Not a genuine Ford one though.

My Scorpio is a 1997 Ultima 2.3 estate, which I bought from Derby for £1,780.00.  

I've had a look around it and overall it seems a good solid car, but I have found that a small amount of welding will be required on the crossmember just forward of the rear bumper, and before the petrol tank.

I'm hoping it's not going to require removal of the fuel tank. If it doesn't, then I might do the job myself as I can mig weld. perhaps i can shield the entire area. has anyone else had to carry out this type of work before?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 8:39pm »

Try reading this and see if it helps. http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cracks.htm.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 8:48pm »

Shocked Blimey! Hope that's not going to be me in the future! Thankfully the rusty bits I've found aren't in that area. As the warmer weather arrives I'll have a closer look though.
IP Logged
david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 10:17pm »

Hello
Getting back to post....
I opened up one which I got from Steve.
Where the lock / unlock rubber keypads are - the rubber is worn & "chewed up" on the underside.
However the "contacts" appear to be micro switches not contacts.
No sign of conductive rubber remains to suggest ever present.
Strangely the boot keypad is a contact not micro switch !!!
Going to try rubber glue/solvent above micro switches.
When got spare time I'm going to program it to car & see if it works using fine s/driver on micro's.
All site discussions I,ve seem to date have been about conducting film repair / replacement with "silver paper" or paint etc.
Anyone else noticed this? Carn't see it just been me who has one.
david
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 11:18pm »

I've found the rubber trick to be very successful,  just  give the remote control  pads  and  contacts a good  rub  with a rubber,   oh!  do   stop sblack personing  Perkins Wink,  or  an  eraser.  

Works every time now.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 11:30pm »

If you're wondering what    "sblack personing "    is in the previous post ,  then so am I!

This is the word  I originally typed,    this time   I'll spell it backwards  in case  the system   censors it again...  

"gnireggins"  

Hilarious ROFL
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.