Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 1:24am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Auto box removal »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Auto box removal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auto box removal  (Read 840 times)
Mickey_2.9

Up and running again ! Love it !

View Profile

Auto box removal
« on: Apr 9th, 2006, 7:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am planing to remove an auto gearbox from a 2.9 12 valve car that is being broken for spares. Got a few of questions;

1/ The car is on a driveway, will it be best to take the engine and gear box out as one unit and seperate them after or remove the gearbox from under the car?  

2/ I want to keep the ATF that is in the box ( no point in putting in a £100 worths of new in if the box is no good) I'm I right to assume that the prop shaft pulls out of the box?  

3/ If I am corect about the above  has anyone any ideas of how to stop the oil leaking out once the prop shaft is remove. I have thought that maybe I could cut the shaft so that I could push the front part back in and use it as a blank?

Any ideas greatfully recieved!
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

Re: Auto box removal
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 10:11am »

Got to say that you're a brave man removing the box on the driveway. The normal removal is from under the car but that is almost a nonstarter for you as there won't be enough room to get the box out. The ATF shouldn't be costing £100, nip down to your local accessory shop and you should be picking it up for about £10 a gallon. The propshaft does pull out of the box and the fluid will leak out... cutting the propshaftHuh Not a good idea I think.

Might be worth considering getting an autobox shop to do the change for you. Generally won't cost much more than £200.

HTH

Thunderchild
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 1:24pm »

on Apr 11th, 2006, 10:11am, Thunderchild wrote:
Got to say that you're a brave man removing the box on the driveway. The normal removal is from under the car but that is almost a nonstarter for you as there won't be enough room to get the box out. The ATF shouldn't be costing £100, nip down to your local accessory shop and you should be picking it up for about £10 a gallon. The propshaft does pull out of the box and the fluid will leak out... cutting the propshaftHuh Not a good idea I think.

Might be worth considering getting an autobox shop to do the change for you. Generally won't cost much more than £200.

HTH

Thunderchild

Hi there, thanks for you reply. This is a box that I am removing from a breaker. What I was really asking was is it easier to remove the whole unit instead of just the box from under the car.  

I want to blank off the output to stop oil coming out all over the drive, the idea of cutting the shaft was just to use it as a blank, I wouldent be using it again. I have since thought that If I knew the size of the inside spline ( of the prop shaft ) and the outside diameter I could turn a cup on the lathe that would push in after the shaft is removed and stop the oil coming out?..........If you know what I mean.  

The other way, maybe the best is to find the P/N of the blank/plug that Ford must have used when building the gearboxes from new. Any help on that wouild be great.

Mike.
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 2:44pm »

OK Mate didn't realise it was a breaker. In that case it's definitely better to pull the engine and gearbox together. As for stopping the fluid,  well I would try just wedging a rag in the end and hopefully that should stop most of the fluid leak. I guess it really depends on how long it will be between removing the prop shaft and pulling the engine/g'box out. Obviously there longer the delay the more chance there is of fluid leaking out.

HTH

Thunderchild
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 6:56pm »

on Apr 11th, 2006, 2:44pm, Thunderchild wrote:
OK Mate didn't realise it was a breaker. In that case it's definitely better to pull the engine and gearbox together. As for stopping the fluid,  well I would try just wedging a rag in the end and hopefully that should stop most of the fluid leak. I guess it really depends on how long it will be between removing the prop shaft and pulling the engine/g'box out. Obviously there longer the delay the more chance there is of fluid leaking out.

HTH

Thunderchild

Yep, sound advice cheers mate. I think maybe a clean lint free rag pushed in around the shaft and then maybe a bag wrapped round the end will work. I will also have a drip tray, the last thing I want to do is spill ATF all over the guys drive!

Having said that if anyone has a 2.9 12 valve auto propshaft to hand and wouldent mind measuring the OD and ID for me that would be very handy.

Cheers  

Mike.
IP Logged
fordcos

all i want is for everything to work for once

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 8:31am »

hi pull the prop out and quickly fit a rubber glove over the end of the gearbox. you will only lose a very small amount of oil secure it with a cable tie.
IP Logged

where are all the good spares
bertie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 10:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

put the car on ramps, then jack the rear end up and shove axle stands under.

the prop has a rubber donut coupling just after the output shaft in the box. Undo this, from memory, 3 bolts 17mm head and on the other side 3 nuts 13mm head. leave output shaft in box, remove propshaft.

Undo the bell housing bolts etc etc and then roll the trolley jack with block of wood on top, put under sump pan of box. Pull box backwards gently, ideally 2 people, 1 each side and lower down to floor. The box will slide out from front of car.

No need to remove engine and box.

leave the cooler pipes connected to box if poss, and undo from radiator, if crappy, cut them 4 inches or so from box, so fluid does not leak from the 2 holes.

hope this helps

simon
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 10:59pm »

Thanks for the info Simon Smiley

IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:44pm »

on Apr 12th, 2006, 10:04pm, bertie wrote:
put the car on ramps, then jack the rear end up and shove axle stands under.

the prop has a rubber donut coupling just after the output shaft in the box. Undo this, from memory, 3 bolts 17mm head and on the other side 3 nuts 13mm head. leave output shaft in box, remove propshaft.

Undo the bell housing bolts etc etc and then roll the trolley jack with block of wood on top, put under sump pan of box. Pull box backwards gently, ideally 2 people, 1 each side and lower down to floor. The box will slide out from front of car.

No need to remove engine and box.

leave the cooler pipes connected to box if poss, and undo from radiator, if crappy, cut them 4 inches or so from box, so fluid does not leak from the 2 holes.

hope this helps

simon

Thanks for everyones input on this especially Simon. I removed the box today. Left engine in car an didn't spill oil on the drive Grin  
Now got to do it all again with my car so that I can fit this one!

This was alot easier a job than I thorght it would be and didn't take that long. Might be a bit harder getting the box back in? Will see.
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 8:10pm »

Just make sure the torque converter is engaged properly in the gearbox - apparently you measure the distance between the spigot in the centre of the converter and the front edge of the gearbox (i.e. back and forth measurement) - it should be recessed into the gearbox by this amount.  Can't remember the figure but somebody here will know; failing that it's in the PDFs on the main site for the automatic transmission.

Darren
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 9:50pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2006, 8:10pm, sector-9 wrote:
Just make sure the torque converter is engaged properly in the gearbox - apparently you measure the distance between the spigot in the centre of the converter and the front edge of the gearbox (i.e. back and forth measurement) - it should be recessed into the gearbox by this amount.  Can't remember the figure but somebody here will know; failing that it's in the PDFs on the main site for the automatic transmission.

Darren

Ok Darren, good point well presented Wink I will look at the main site and see what I can find.

Mike
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 5:35pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2006, 8:10pm, sector-9 wrote:

Darren

Can any one help with this measurement?  I have looked here: http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/autotrans/A4LDeV612V.pdf

but can't find it? I am quite sure that the convertor has not come out but it would be nice to check if I did have the measurement. Mike.
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 1st, 2006, 7:42pm »

The measurement you're looking for is 9mm - this is from the flange face of the converter housing to the front of the TC centre bush.
This is in the general instructions for the A4LDE - http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/autotrans/A4LDERemInst.pdf

IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:34pm »

Thanks for that Eric. Just to make sure, that is for the 2.9 12v box as well?  

Also quick question, an auto trans technician has told me not to use any high temperature grease on the spigot because it can hydraulic, has anyone got any thoughts on this?     Mike.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.