Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 3:16am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« fuel problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   fuel problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: fuel problem  (Read 481 times)
atressler

I have a 2.9 12V

Alextressler
View Profile Email

fuel problem
« on: Apr 28th, 2006, 7:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 2.9L 12V and it seems to be having some sort of fuel problem. It starts up, but then dies. I changed the plugs, and fuel filter, and still the same. So I put in some injector cleaner, and it worked great! So tomorrow, I'm cleaning the injectors, and hoping this will cure the problem. If not, what could some other problems be? I'm just curious, because a local mechanic said it could be ANYTHING! but i'm a mechanic (generators, not cars), and that just didn't seem right. So what else could it be if it ISNT the injectors?
IP Logged

-Alex
Atlantic_blue

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: fuel problem
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 6:43am »

Fuel pressure regulator, blocked fuel filter?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 8:49am »

Have a look at the fuel pump relay it may be failing when it gets HOT.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
twoakers

2.9 12v Ultima on LPG

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 10:40pm »

I had a fuel problem which caused mine to fail the MOT test on emissions. Angry  My 12v Ultima runs 99% of the time on LPG  Cheesy  
They tested it on petrol - doh!
I then found that the petrol in the tank was stale - well it was about a year old  Tongue
Half a tank of BP Super Unleaded restored the emissions to well below the limits as usual.
So try 'fresh' petrol whenever you have problems. Remember what happens to your old lawnmower when left  Cool
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2006, 12:14am »

Certainly sounds like fuel pressure problem.  Can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn the ign. to pos II?  You almost certainly will be able to but as Snoopy suggests, the pump may be cutting out (for whatever reason).

You don't mention how long it runs for after startup before it dies.  Does it suddenly stop or cough/splutter before it does?  IIRC, the fuel pressure regulator sits at the end of the fuel rail and has a vacuum connection to it - might be worth checking that it hasn't split or something silly.  The other option is the crank sensor, but the engine shouldn't run at all if this is broke as there are no other sensors it can use to determine ignition timing.

Finally it could be something as simple as the coolant sensor so the engine is defaulting to a mixture too lean to start from cold (though it will fire and maybe run for a second or so once enough fuel has gathered in the intake) - that's the only thing I can think of which the injector cleaner may affect.

Best bet is to get some flash codes from the ECU - it'll either point to a duff sensor or if no codes at all then it's probably fuel pressure regulator, vacuum hoses, etc. which aren't capable of being monitored...

Darren
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 1st, 2006, 7:38am »

The 12V does not have crank position sensor it has a coil and distributor. It has to be something electrical which is getting hot and preventing current flow. When it stops are you still getting a spark ?

Could be coil if NOT
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
atressler

I have a 2.9 12V

Alextressler
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:14am »

I think i fixed it! I looked at the injectors, and they needed cleaned BAD!  So I cleaned them off, and put everything back together and BAM, car started beatuifully, and runs even better than before. I haven't driven the car much since I fixed it, so it could still be  broken.
IP Logged

-Alex
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.