Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 3:32pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Power drain »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Power drain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Power drain  (Read 1123 times)
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

Power drain
« on: May 2nd, 2006, 9:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Was just outside now, attacking my battery with my multimeter. Connected it in series with the battery, and did some readings.

With everything turned off, except the boot light, the power drain is 0,8-0,95A. When I close the boot, the drain falls to about 0,6A. Disconnecting the battery for a sec and reconnecting it makes it drop to below 0,2A. Opening and closing the boot again makes it rise to 0,6A. Re-disconnecting and connecting the battery makes it drop to less than 0,2A again.

Anyone have an idea what the 0,4A current draw can be?
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Power drain
« Reply #1 on: May 2nd, 2006, 11:46pm »

Stuck switch so glove box light on all time.
Just a guess  - as no idea really - but easy one to eliminate
david
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2006, 12:18pm »

The glove box switch works. I tested.

What I forgot to test was if the outcome was the same when opening and closing a door instead of the boot.
IP Logged

Mummra

Mummra-the-ever -living

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 3rd, 2006, 1:08pm »

You may want to check the glove box light actually goes out when the glove box is closed, even though the switch works it doesn't always get pushed closed enough to turn the light out. It is best to check it at night.

I had to stick a rubber pad to my glove box door where it hits the switch, as mine was not turning off.
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 3rd, 2006, 3:30pm »

Yes, I will, but my current problem is to find out why the current draw increases by 400mA whenever I open and close the boot. There is something turning on whenever it's opened and won't turn off until i disconnect the battery.
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 3rd, 2006, 4:34pm »

That's strange 0.2 A is about ok (mine draws 180mA). Could the boot light have a kind of time off like the inerior lights ? Maybe the power saver relay. Reading further your msg gives me some ideeas. You say that everything is disconnected does this include the lighs from the footwels. If yes than remember that opening the boot and closing it starts a 20 second relay that should keep the lights on. Eaven though the bulbs are out the relay consumes. See if after aprox 20 seconds the current goes down.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 3rd, 2006, 4:56pm »

Thanks, I will (although the current draw did fall from ~0,9A to ~0,6A when I close the boot, so I would guess the 0,3A drop is the boot light turning off)

Don't know if I have lights in my foot wells, atleast the foot wells are unlighted at the moment. Either blown bulbs or no lights fitted at all, I guess. Checking this is on my to-do list.

"Everything" in my original post refers to the roof lights and dashboard lights.

As a note, I don't know if the draw is 150mA or 249mA, since I use the 10A input on the meter (don't wan't to accidentally destroy it). That input has 0,1A as the smallest reading.
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 3rd, 2006, 5:46pm »

Try unplugging the boot release solenoid? Don't think it'd be that though - you need to start unplugging electrics in the boot area and check the loom near the hinges.

FWIW, 400mA at 12V equals roughly 5W which sounds like a bulb; might be worth pulling a few out and see if it makes any difference...

Darren
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 3rd, 2006, 8:33pm »

on May 3rd, 2006, 4:56pm, Kjetil S wrote:

Don't know if I have lights in my foot wells, atleast the foot wells are unlighted at the moment. Either blown bulbs or no lights fitted at all, I guess. Checking this is on my to-do list.

There should be one light under the dashboard, near the pedals, one under de dashboard at the passanger feet, and 2 in the backseat. I saw on mine that the driver front side lamp was fallen inside and it was lighting but could not see it. These lights operate for 20 seconds when the boot is opened, or a dor (open / shut). When all four are lit up the take about 2 Amps. Also these lights are switched on by a relay that takes some current.

on May 3rd, 2006, 4:56pm, Kjetil S wrote:

As a note, I don't know if the draw is 150mA or 249mA, since I use the 10A input on the meter (don't wan't to accidentally destroy it). That input has 0,1A as the smallest reading.

I also have used 10A scale but it seems my multimeter has bigger precision, it has two decimals. So i got 0.18 A = 180mA
IP Logged

Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 3rd, 2006, 10:11pm »

I read on the page that

Quote:

FORD SCORPIO ULTIMA

The Ultima was additionally equipped with the following;

Courtesy lights in front and rear footwells,  
 Kerb lights,  

Mine is a low spec version, so it probably doesn't have any of those (but I will still check later).
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 4th, 2006, 12:07pm »

Mine is not an ultima, it's ghia ....but still have thoes lights. Lower spec ones did not have the puddle lights and the kerblights, these are mounted on each door, under it and near it's corner.
IP Logged

Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 4th, 2006, 3:19pm »

Had a quick look around the foot wells, and I couldn't find any lights. So unless they're as well hidden as the one in the glove box, I don't have them. It also seems like my car has reflective surfaces instead of lights in the doors.
IP Logged

david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 4th, 2006, 11:09pm »

Hello
Mine only has relectors in doors - 95 24V Ghia saloon.
Have you tried removing / disconnecting / switching off all unnecessary bulbs & electrical extras.
Would either definitively remove them from the equation or prove where the fault lies - subject to further logical elimination of remainder.
Hope you get my point
david
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.