Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:15pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« My hobby and car dont mix »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   My hobby and car dont mix
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My hobby and car dont mix  (Read 717 times)
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

My hobby and car dont mix
« on: May 24th, 2006, 10:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is for anyone who has a hobby that involves charging NiCad battery packs from a car battery. I play a game called airsoft (similar to paintball) that uses electric BB guns that run to the same type of batteries as remote controled cars. This weekend I was at an event and my spare car battery I use to charge up my packs ran out of juice. So I decided to hook my little charger up to the scorp and ran a couple of charges out of it. Now, these packs are quite small (1100mah 8.4v- 9.6v 3300mah) and rapid charge in under 20 mins. When it came to leave the event on the Sunday afternoon, I had a seriously fun 2-3 mins of trying to get the scorp to start. When I did, it was fine after a run and has had no problems over the last 3 days at all. This takes it back to the whole issue of needing a tip top battery for the car to run. I didnt use that much out of it but it was enough to give me some serious jip and just as well I didnt do any more charging as it would have needed a set of jump leads to get me going. So, anybody out there that uses remote controled cars or nicad packs, dont hook a charger up to yur scorp!!
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

Re: My hobby and car dont mix
« Reply #1 on: May 24th, 2006, 2:48pm »

I also do "wierd" stuff with the scorp's electricity, but i keep the engine on to be on the safe side, or i'm doing it on trip to destinaton  Wink

Greatest consumer i had it was a 600 W 220V inverter (hooked up to a PC)  + one huge car amplifier (2x500 W) + a small power amplifier (4x40W)......+ TFT screen....+ a lot more gizmos...... a week after this "experiment" the car battery packed up without any other signs.....could it be a coincidence  Roll Eyes

I also charge batteries in the car for the the camera  Wink
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2006, 3:06pm »

Think I will get a cig lighter adapter for it and run the car while charging (if I am ever stuck again). I thought about running the car at the time, but did not know if the 14.5v going in to the battery fron the alternator would have damaged my rather expensive charger Roll Eyes. Never had this problem before on any of my cars, even took the battery out one time (rover 416) to run charges through out the day without any bother.
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 24th, 2006, 5:02pm »

You could wire up a second battery in the boot and charge it through the towbar dual electrics if you have them
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.