Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Clock Spring replacement »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Clock Spring replacement
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clock Spring replacement  (Read 440 times)
landbarge

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Clock Spring replacement
« on: Jun 4th, 2006, 10:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After following all the information regarding my Faulty Horn problem - see Problems entry - I decided to replace the Clock Spring.

Whilst at the Ford Dealership buying a Link Rod for the off side I asked about a replacement for the Clock Spring.  I was expecting a huge dent in the credit card, but was delighted to hear that it was cheaper than the link rod.  With the VAT it was just over £40.

Installation took just 55 mins, and most of that was working out how Ford positioned the locking clips on some of the connectors.

Follow the instructions from the Ford downloads available through this site. You will need 'Clockspring - Air Bag Control - Remove and Install (33 392 0).

YOU MUST wait for 30mins after disconnecting the battery before messing with the air bag.  Ford say 15mins, give it longer.  You can remove the airbag from outside of your car quite easily.  The fixing screws are said to be Torcx screws, mine were No.4 hex screws.

The wires down the steering column were fixed with several zip ties.  On replacing the unit, I found one was ample.

Look closely at the route the cables follow and feel confident at removing any necessary clips and connectors that are in the way.

IT IS MOST IMPORTANT that you follow the instruction for 'Centralising the Clockspring'. You will find this easy to do off the car.  You will not be able to exactly line up the markers as they will move slightly when you fix it to the steering column; there is some play which is normal.  If you do not follow the Ford instructions you may risk a release of the airbag when making a tight turn!

When everything was put back together, it was comforting to hear the horn again and use the Cruise Control.

Post Script.

Inside the clockspring housing in a coil of Milar ribbon.  It is 8 feet in length (yes I measured it) at either end are the necessary fixed connector plugs which lead on to various components.

At the upper connector assembly position is a curved arm of plastic which is part of the connector assemble.  This had weakend and separated from the connector.  It was held in place by the ribbon but allowed a portion of the ribbon to fold back on its self.  Over time this eventually split the metal strips which run the length of the ribbon and caused all my problems.

Epilogue

If this happens to you, follow these simple checks. One, check the fuse and replace if necessary. Two, check that the horn does work by running a length of suitable cable from the positive terminal on the battery directly to the horn connector. If it sounds then it is ok and move on to the relay.  In prising off the old one, the horn sounded, which means that the relay is ok.  I had already bought a new one (£10) so I replaced it. Three, look for other associated faults.  My air bag warning symbol was flashing for one second repeatedley (airbag fault). For other flashing combinations look on this web site.  My cruise control was also erratic.

The replacement was straight forward and should be within the scope of any competant motoring DIYer.  Remember ALWAYS FOLLOW THE WARNING INSTRUCTIONS!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.