Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:30pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Bushes »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Bushes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bushes  (Read 583 times)
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

Bushes
« on: Jun 11th, 2006, 7:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've recently noticed a knocking sound from the front suspension, particulary on bumpy roads, and also a slight wander at high speeds.  

I've traced this to the bushes. Tried pushing on the wishbones with a crowbar, and there was a noticeable movement in all directions on the rear bushes. The front bushes only moved slightly horisontally, not vertically. I guess this is normal?

Will I need to change the wishbones as well, or will it be enough to change the bushes?

Oh, and if I only need to change the bushes, is it necessary to remove the frontmost bolt to get off and put on the new bush, or is it enough to remove the bracket for the bush itself?
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Bushes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 7:46pm »

hi there

you can get the rear bushes from ford, but imo, it's better to replace  the whole lot (wishbone). if one part is worn, then there's a big chance the others are too.

down side to replacing both wishbones is the cost. £113 each, when i changed mine!

hth
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 9:17pm »

I have changed just the right wishbone bushes the big bush was shoot, the rubber was split  Undecided. After removing the bracket it's needed to remove a screw that holds the bush on the wishbone. Now i need to do the same on the left part, as it started to do a sound when going over bumps (same sound it was doing on le left side before renewing). Also i got a bit of wander at speed over 140 km/h (87 mph). The wandering dissapears after 160 km/H (100 mph)..... Undecided althrough i ussualy drive under 140 km/h. At 200 km/h (125 mph) it felt verry stable and "heavy" a verry secure feeling, but with the quality of the roads i will not go such fast sooner  Angry
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 9:52pm »

My plan was to change the bushes on both sides and see if things improve, if not then I'll change the wishbones too.
New bushes: £39 each incl. VAT
New wishbones: £151 each incl. VAT

If they got the bushes in stock, I'll probably have a go at changing them tuesday.
Hopefully the wishbones are okay, atleast I couldn't find any abnormal movement in them.

Now, when this is done, all I have left is to find what wires my FMD has messed up, as my speedo and reverse lights doesn't work. The speedo does kick in from time to time, especially when the weather is warm, so it's probably not torn off. The problem came when they had it in to change the head gasket and exhaust manifold gasket. Wouldn't mind any suggestions to where they may have done something wrong  Wink
It's a manual 2.0 16v btw.
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 7:10pm »

Check the drop links as well while you are at it. I had a proper rattle on the front with bumpy roads and my mechanic said it was the droplinks; changed them and bingo....no more rattles. I also changed all of the bushes too the following day just because I had already bought them!!!
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 8:57pm »

Will do, boss  Grin
Is it these? http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/linkrods.htm
B/c I checked those (pushing on them with a crowbar, no movement what so ever)
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.