Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 11:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Reversing camera »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Reversing camera
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Reversing camera  (Read 1472 times)
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

Reversing camera
« on: Jul 25th, 2006, 5:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Evenin' all  Cheesy

Has anyone any experience with reversing cameras Huh and any suggestion, if so, of a good one please  Grin

Thanks
Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
craig

Email

Re: Reversing camera
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 7:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

mike....
did think about it t 1 point,but then thought about where to put the screen where it doesn't look out of place  Huh....
and also you can take your chances with a cheap camera from japan off of ebay,or pay top notch for 1 here.....
fitted a good set of reversing sensors in the end.. Smiley....
nice subtle display in the cabin,and if you wanted you can even colour code the sensors... Wink
IP Logged
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 11:44pm »

Id go with the sensors every time (have them on mine)wide angle camera & watching tv in front of you when going backwards seems wrong to me!!
IP Logged

Gary
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 7:26am »

I fitted a four sensor set to my estate years ago, about £45. Simple job, works a treat,very accurate and the display sits on top of the mirror.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 8:23am »

I too was considering adding a reversing camera to mine as i already have tv screens fitted in my sunvisors, and they have an additional av input for a reversing camera. Would be a case of wiring up the camera so that it came on when the reversing lights were, then flipping down the screen for a close up of where i'm going  Smiley I do worry that i'm gonna end up taking out someones bumper one day squeezing into parking spaces with the tow bar sticking out the back.

If you wanted to be a flash watsit you could always mount a small tft moniter in place of the rear view mirror and have a camera mounted on the back screen pointing at whats behind  Smiley wouldn't know if it would be any good but it'd look pretty cool  Cool

Matt
IP Logged
granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 5:10pm »

Well chaps the only reason to be honest why I am contemplating the camera is that I am replacing the radio in the dash with a DVD player with screen and it happens to support this function, which sounds like a good idea to me especially when I'm trying to reverse the car up to the caravan and getting conflicting signals from my helpers.

Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2006, 6:48pm »

I've put a cam on mine with a small monitor which i've mounted in the sunvisor.
Works quite well considering what it cost me, under £60, ideal for backing up to the caravan,  will take some pics when I have some time.
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2006, 9:26pm »

Mike,

the unit you are fitting in the dash, it doesn't have one of those pop out, flip up screens does it? If so, have you checked that the clearance is OK on the Scorpio dash? I looked at a few a while ago when I had my red S Reg but none of the ones I checked had the screen coming out far enough before it hit the overhang above where the radio fits. The screen then ended up facing the gear lever because it couldn't sit upright

There is a 1DIN unit available now which has a 2" built in screen and plays dvds too, saw it in Halfords last week. £350 or so I think so not expensive

Baz
IP Logged
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27th, 2006, 10:05pm »

That is probably a JVC Baz, I have a Sony CDX-M9900 that has a TFT screen too, this could also be used with a camera.
IP Logged

RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28th, 2006, 8:30pm »

Not finished properly yet but here are some pics,

As i say not quite finished but works well IMO
IP Logged

granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 9:55am »

Thanks Richard for the piccys. Cheesy
It actually doesn't look bad at all, thought it might of looked like a giant squashed bug  Lips Sealed  the curvature around the camera on the bumper makes it look a better fit but unfortunately this is something I obviously won't be able too have  Cry  May I ask if you just went out and bought a camera or did you do some research on them.  Is there any difference in quality between an expensive one or those currently selling for less from ebay. Basically do you get what you pay for or does this not really apply nowdays with these I wounder  Undecided  Huh  

Mike

IP Logged

- Mike -

granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 9:55am »

on Jul 27th, 2006, 9:26pm, Baz wrote:
Mike,

the unit you are fitting in the dash, it doesn't have one of those pop out, flip up screens does it? If so, have you checked that the clearance is OK on the Scorpio dash? I looked at a few a while ago when I had my red S Reg but none of the ones I checked had the screen coming out far enough before it hit the overhang above where the radio fits. The screen then ended up facing the gear lever because it couldn't sit upright

Baz

You are quite correct Baz they won't fit so instead I am fitting this:

it has a 3.5" screen which although not brillant in size will service its purpose for what I want it for (I hope). It has also the facilty to run JPEG files, MP3s etc. and via an adapter will run DAB.  Cheesy The good news is that I have been able via an adapter to keep the original ford stalk controller but unfortunately it looks like I may have to invest in a new autochanger as I can't find a JVC to Ford adapter  Cry

Mike

IP Logged

- Mike -

granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 10:18am »

Baz  Smiley

I've just had a thought, you mentioned in a post some time ago about a power saver relay please could you tell me how they work and their benefit.  Also any idea where I may possibly obtain one please....maybe Maplins Huh

Thanks  
Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 9:11pm »

Hi Mike,
No research done, just took a chance and got a cheap one on ebay.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 6:25am »

Richard, I'm intriuged by the rear bumper. How come it has a numberplate recess,no numberplate light fittings and yet the tailgate is standard with the number plate surround in place??. Huh
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 10:11pm »

on Jul 30th, 2006, 6:25am, Simmo wrote:
Richard, I'm intriuged by the rear bumper. How come it has a numberplate recess,no numberplate light fittings and yet the tailgate is standard with the number plate surround in place??. Huh

Simmo, Unfinished project, The bumper has been modified (like the front one), cut in half and dropped 4", number plate recess added and tailgate to be delocked and flushed one day.

IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 1st, 2006, 6:56am »

Thanks Richard. Curiosity satisfied !. Good luck with the project and look forward to  seeing the final result as I am sure will others. Mike
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.