Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.5 td problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   2.5 td problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.5 td problems  (Read 425 times)
coasty

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

2.5 td problems
« on: Aug 9th, 2006, 9:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all
     I have an old shape 1994 2.5 td estate.
It has recently started to lose power and all the symptoms are very similar to this http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/replacemap.htm however Ford say my car hasn't got a map sensor and i cant find anything that looks like the one pictured although there is a component bolted to the inner wing that looks similar. Can anyone help? is there any form of diagnostic that can be run . i think the turbo itself is ok ,ie there is not loads of black smoke , its not oily and it passed an mot recently on emmisions.
Is there anywhere in Bexleyheath/Dartford areas that anyone could recomend i take it ?

Thanks
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: 2.5 td problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 11:04pm »

Check for air leaks on the intake pipework - particulary where the hoses connect between the turbo, intercooler and inlet manifold.  Can you tell if the turbo is working?  Is there a definate increase in speed once you get above 2000rpm?

Have you replaced the air and fuel filters?  Fuel filter more likely than air but harder to swap!

Finally, pull off the vacuum hose going to the EGR valve diaphragm (I assume your engine has one?) - it'll be mounted on the front of the inlet manifold and have a metal pipe going from it down under the turbo heat shield to the exhaust manifold.

Your initial problem is finding whether the fault is in the air intake/EGR or fuel system.  

Darren
IP Logged
coasty

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 10:45am »

Thanks for the reply darren , i will swap the filters as it did have some problems with gumming up the fuel filters in the past , although i think it is fine now. The car does have an EGR valve diaphram , why are you suggesting i pull off the vacum hose , do you mean to then run the car to see if there is any improvement ?

Thanks agaibn  

Phil
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20th, 2006, 11:24am »

If the EGR valve isn't fully closed then you'll lose a lot of boost pressure and power.  It is operated by the blue circular thing behind the RH headlamp and controlled by the ECU which takes it's cue from the TPS.  Pulling off the vacuum pipe simply takes all that lot out of the equation - unless the valve is physically sticking open!

Darren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.