Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:23pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« third brake light wireing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   third brake light wireing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: third brake light wireing  (Read 970 times)
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

third brake light wireing
« on: Aug 26th, 2006, 2:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does any one happen to know if the scorp comes pre wired for the extra brake light and are the wires hidden under the parcel shelf somewhere.
Just thought I would ask before I splice into the wires leading to the rear lights.
IP Logged
shaun

shaun

View Profile Email

Re: third brake light wireing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 9:02pm »

no there is no spair plugs but i will let u no on sunday night the easy way coz im stripping one at mo so it do matter if i cut the wrong one ,as the wires come from back in to the car will try to take pic too help,if you need.
IP Logged

[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/shau
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 9:11pm »

No thats okay mate, just thought I would ask on the off chance.
I will be able to trace the live feed for the brake lights and just splice into it.
Cheers anyway
Any chance of a pic of those chrome sill covers Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 10:17pm »

Worth a look but it's easy to wire in if not, so no worries either way mate Wink
IP Logged

Dave
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 7:05pm »

My 2.3 had the cables and conector just under the shelf, it was a simple matter of stripping it and connecting the lamp.....40 LED aftermarket one Grin.....
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 11:06pm »

Al

hope this gets to you before you do the job.

The wiring for the high level brake light is under the left hand speaker (looking from inside the car) It is taped up and wrapped in songe to stop it rattling. If you need the light, I have a spare or two!!

Baz
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 6:52am »

cheers Baz,
Got a brake light of howie, I was happy to just splice into the wires leading to the light clusters but I kinda figured the wires may be there anyway.
Thanks again.
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 10:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

After removing the plastic surround I found that my Scorpio was all pre-wired ready for the third light to be bloted on (estate model).

But the member I got the third light from (Mummra) sold me it because his estate was not pre-wired,...seems that it's a matter of fortune whether your car is wired up or not, but it should be no big thing to run a wire loom up for the light.
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 8:10pm »

Just replaced the bulbs in the high level brake light for five 10 mm led's at 15,000mcd (with any luck people may notice when the car is stationary from now on).
I did a few photos along the way if anyone is interested I will do a quick write up.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 7:33pm »

Always good to see peoples mods Al. I fitted a high level light from a Rover 75. It is an LED one and looks OK from inside and outside. I just had to replace the parcel shelf cover with one from an older car without the brake light!
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 8:32pm »

This is how I replaced the bulbs in my new (thanks Howie) high level brake light.
Started with the standard light and unclipped the black mounting plate and also the reflector that houses the bulbs

Next I removed the bulbs from the reflector and the copper rails that takes the power to the bulbs.
I found it easier to use a tiny precision screwdriver to do this but be carefull cos were going to reuse them.
They are attached to the reflector unit with a tiny plastic nipple try not to brake this as you gently lever the copper rail over it.

Next came the fitting of the led's I discovered that they were a tiny bit to big to fit where the bulbs go. This being the case I decided to take the dremmel with a small grinding wheel and take a very small amount of material off the base of the led Be carefull doing this as it realy is just a small amount. they should fit snuggly into the hole.
And I should have worn gloves. You could do the same with sand paper etc.

Here you see the legs of the led's out the back of the reflector make a point of putting all the positive legs (long ones)to the same side. As my car didn't come with a light the positive and negative terminals can be decided later. However, it may be worth making a note of this when you remove the light from your car as this will determin wich side copper rail you use for the longer positive leg of the led

solder the resistors in place and put a short length of heat shrink tubing or similar insulation over the resistor and all the way down to the led the resistor itself does not need to be covered.

Repleace the copper rail to the earth side of the led's I found that the clips for the bulbs can be left in place as the led legs will fit along side these in the holes then solder the negative legs to the rail.
Note the heat shrink on the positive side

On the rail for the positive side I snipped off the clips that would have held the bulbs and reffitted it, a bit of superglue may help here. once in place solder the resistor to this rail dont let the stick out to far as they will foul the light housing when you refitt it.

Resistors in place

check your work over and check the led's all work before you put it all back together.
I used five red 10 mm at 15000mcd and they make the brake light bright enough to hurt your eyes.

The finished light, all that remains is to fit it in the car.

IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 12:28pm »

And here it is fitted along with the 6x9's and a leather cover for the parcel shelf.
I did try to get a pice of leather to match the seats etc but couldnt get an exact match so I fitted the brown leather that I had lying around.

IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 1:23pm »

Looks good mate.
IP Logged

Dave
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 1:46pm »

cossie, how did you fit the 6x9's in?  
i was looking at trying it but got a bit put off by all the metal struting.
i have bought a pair of 6.5" bass cones for 99p on ebay with the idea of keeping the original speakers and adding the new cones for the bass the system seems to be lacking......
IP Logged

cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 3:52pm »

Hi taliban,
I have posted about this before but didn't go into much detail.
When I got the car the 6x9's were already in the car but not really fitted.
By the looks of things the original speakers were removed with a claw hammer and the holes made bigger with an axe and the speakers dropped in the said axe holes. (not one fixing on either speaker)
So I removed the parcel shelf cover to tidy it up the holes were not even close to the shape of the speakers so I cut some thin mdf to match the holes and glued it in place then covered the under side with a thin layer of fibreglass.
Once this was completely cured I cut the holes to match the speakers and covered the top side with a layer of thin upholsteres foam and then the leather.
Again once the glue was dry I cut the holes in the new upholstery to mathch the previous holes.  
With the shelf cover still out of the car I bolted the speakers to it making sure the bolts are just long enough to get the nuts and washers on.
As for the holes in the metal work this was a real mess bits of sharp jaggered metal everywhere. I did what I could with a junior hack saw then a file, this was a long and nasty job and I lost the skin on most of my nuckles doing it.  
Its still not great but it is a lot tidyer.
I replaced the shelf and speakers as one unit using the original fixings.
This was when I discovered the first set of bolts were to long and had to be cut to length.
Next on the agenda is to cut the holes in the metal work a bit bigger and fit a box of some description to the underside (in the boot that is).
Hope that helps mate it a lot of work but well worth it.
Al
EDIT
forgot to mention I am also going to copy Richard if he doesnt mind and put 6x9's in the front like this
 http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=OT;action=displa y;num=1157108097
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 4:17pm »

cheers for that, making a new shelf with mdf then covering with faux leather is simple enough, but as you say its all that metal strutting that has to be cut for the depth of bigger speakers......
IP Logged

cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 11:26pm »

yes mate its hard work but still worth it and by the way its proper leather like it grew on a cow Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.