Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« car fire »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   car fire
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: car fire  (Read 7288 times)
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

car fire
« on: Aug 27th, 2006, 11:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fellow Scorpio owners Be Aware I am a disabled driver, last Sunday whilst a few hundred yards from home my Scorpio developed a smell that was obviously something getting hot.  On turning the ignition off I could hear a whirring noise coming from the back of the car, outside the car it was obvious that the noise was coming from around the area off the petrol filler cap. So thinking it maybe the petrol pump running  I decided to take off the battery leads. On opening the bonnet I noticed a stronger  smell of burning, so I hurried to remove the battery leads. As I did so I could see light smoke coming from the  fuse box. I removed the lid to the fuse box, between the side of the fuse box and the floor of the fuse box I could see a red glow tiny sparks and flames part of the fuse box lid was missing and the fuse box wall bowed out. I quickly removed the leads from the battery. Then telephoned the fire brigade, Going back to the car with the fire extinguisher I noticed the flames etc had gone out but the fuse box was still very hot. After a few minutes the fire brigade arrived and examined the car for fire that may have spread to any other part of the car.
They praised my action in removing the battery lead as it had definitely stopped a major fire and that the car would have gone up in smoke without my actions.
     I telephoned my insurance explaining that I was a disabled driver and was totally housebound without my car.  They told me not to worry the car would be a write off considering its age, they asked me if I wanted to arrange its removal to a scrap yard or would they. I asked them too. they informed me they would provide a car. A couple of hours later an engineer telephoned me from the insurance company to ask some questions about the fire. He asked how much smoke damage there was to the inside of the car I told him non that I could see, he asked me to hold, this I did. When he returned  he said that they would be able to repair the car. He informed me they would send a truck to collect it. This they did and delivered the hire car. Midday Friday I recived a telephone call from the garage saying, the insurance company were refusing to pay for the repair as he could not find any evidence of fire damage. All there was, was damage caused via an electrical fault.
I asked had he removed the fuse box as all the damage would be under there plus that was the seat of the fire he never answered.
    I telephoned the Insurance Company and said, I thought the garage had not looked under the fuse box where the damage was. The insurance insisted it was just an electrical fault so I was not covered. I told him as far as I was concerned there were flames so that was a fire.  After further conversation he admitted if I had let the fire burn and it had damaged the car more they would have paid out. After many phone calls I finally got a representative of the garage to admit they had never looked under the fuse box,  I then telephoned the insurance to explain this to them. He said there was nothing to take out as the fuse box was in the glove compartment. At this I asked did they know there were three fuse boxes in the car and the one in the clove compartment was not the one with the problem. He went silent then said oh I can see that on my diagram. I asked them were they even looking at the correct fuse box, he did not answer. However he said they had had the car running and his decision stood, as it was just a fault. I informed him that I had a verbal statement that the seat of the fire had not been looked at by the garage, it now appears they may not have even examined the correct fuse box I was not happy. He said I should go and get my own report. I said I think they should have it looked at again as it had not been looked at correctly, he then asked me for my care registration  number and sounded as if he would get back to me. However as I did not hear from him I telephoned my broker, they telephoned him and informed me as far as the insurance company was concerned their decision stood.
      I had earlier in the day telephoned my national motoring breakdown service who say they will provide  legal representation with decisions with insurance companies they gave me some preliminary advice.  
 So I telephoned them again to explain that the car had not been properly inspected. They asked for the insurance company involved, I told them, they then said sorry we can’t get involved as the insurance company and the motoring organisation involved  were owned by the same people.
      So all in all if you have a fire let it burn let it do more damage, don’t believe your motoring organisation
Their legal advice only covers you with certain insurance companies.  
As a result I am now after nine years without a claim, (and it would be longer other than my car was stolen  nine years ago.)  I am here housebound with no car no help from my insurance company, no help from my motoring organisation. No means of buying another car.
  So take my advice if you have a fire let it burn
IP Logged
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: car fire
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 12:26pm »

Who are your insurance company? This sounds like another typical excuse to try and get out of paying, you could complain to the insurance ombudsman, but you'll have to go through the insurance companies complaints proceedure first.
IP Logged
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 4:11pm »

Hi Again Norwich Union and the RAC are the motoring organisation that are conected Agree
IP Logged
nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 4:28pm »

sorry to hear you probles with the fire, although the following link is different (but similar) read it all through(this will take an hour), you may find some info that will help you. you are not alone.

http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28074  

hth

Russ
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
km449

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 5:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Really sorry to hear your story.

Time to call in What Car methinks

If you are in dispute with someone they will try to sort it out - you can email them at  

wchelpdesk@haynet.com

hth

Keith
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 5:44pm »

I'm surprised you're   running around   in   an   ancient   ( but brilliant,  as we all know  )  and  trouble prone  Scorpio.

Can't  you get  a  disability car ?

My neighbour, whose  only  disability   is  a  persistent  light  cough,  has just taken  delivery  of  a  spanking new  black   Ford Focus.
IP Logged
Dazzer0016

1997 Silver Saloon Bradford W Yorks

DAZZER0016  
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 8:38pm »

hi can,t offer any advice
but just been reading the post mentioned above about the mazda fire...

can't believe the insurance companys  

you pays your money ....you don't claim....then when you have a problem....they dont want to know
IP Logged

Scorpio owner for five years until now
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 11:03pm »

get some advice from cit advice and try and call their bluff by issue a county ct summons at your local county ct..they will have to come all the way to your court if the wish to defend the action that will mean time and solicitor fees which cld amount to 1000s esp when on the day of the first hearing you suddenly fall sick with some sort of attack and its then adjourned costing them more money..plus ring the local paper and get a reporter on your side ring your local tv channel and start the name and shame ...name the company at every opportunity it ll cost them 1000s in lost revenue as ppl avoid them..dont be a victim fight these scumbags all the way without fail..if they do defend it and its looking bad like the judge is going there way..pm me for some very nice lit tactics i can share with you.. use the power of the web as well..it takes minutes to set a blog or web site up on this subject ...
go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!!

remeber a company called powerhouse the electrical retailer they tried to f*** me once and by the time i had finished with the manager he left town.. seriously he did ..i paid 30 uni students 20 quid each, went to b and q got some stick and white board and camped on his doorstep ..he took about 20 quid all day as customer after customer left the car park... then a film crew from the same uni went in like bloody roger cook asking him all sorts of questions ..i was nearly coughing up blood i was laughing so much!!! WE MUST NOT PUT UP WITH THESE PPL
IP Logged

ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 7:46am »

Hi all thanks again for your replies and advice and support  all gratefully recived, and to our friend who suggested The Mobility Scheme or should I say scam, PLEASE DON’T START ME OF ON THAT ONE LOL or we may have to start a new forum. Oh and by the way my old Scorpio has been VERY reliable, it has only NEVER failed to start in all the years I have had it and it has not had any major repairs other just normal running costs and servicing.  Once again many thanks, Ash
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 8:34am »

So.....NORWICH UNION screw Disabled Drivers do they!!!

Send this whole thread to EVERY national Newspaper Ashley!! They all have websites.

I would have thought that the fire brigade would have known what they were talking about, especially as the Insurance clown didn't even KNOW that the car has three fuse boxes!!

Typical Insurance Company. Take your money, and then "Run and Hide".

I like Stafford's post. That's exactly the sort of thing I'd do. Put them in the full glare of as much publicity as you can!!  Wink
IP Logged
km449

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 1:45pm »

Write direct to their MD/Chairman in Norwich re this. Guy called Patrick Snowball.

I think he'd want to be aware of this
IP Logged
shaun

shaun

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 9:49pm »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,23,00.html
I THINK WEE SHOULD HELP THIS MAN ,,,,POST ALL THIS TO THE SUN PAPER I HAVE,THIS IS THERE WEB SITE THE MORE THAT DUSE IT THE MORE NOTICE THAY WILL TAKE,,LETS HOPE THAY TAKE NOTICE,,,,,,,,,,,IF YOU ARE STUCK I WILL POP OVER AND TRY TO SORT IT FOR YOU ,,WEE NEED TO STICK TOGTHER ON TIMES LIKE THIS.......................................................SHAUN ,,,,PM  ME IF YOU NEED MY HELP FOR FREE..... Wink Grin Tongue
IP Logged

[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/shau
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 12:47pm »

Hi Just to let everyone know that NORWICH UNION are arranging a second inspection of my car so we wait and see. HuhHuhHuhHuh? Ashley.
IP Logged
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 9:48pm »

top drawer shaun ..nice stuff mate!!! Agree
IP Logged

ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 7:35am »

Hi all just to keep everyone up to date, as I had not recived any contact from Norwich Union re an engineer visiting me to examine the car. I telephoned them again as usual on their premium rated telephone number.
 Only to be told no engineer would be calling around to examine the car as their field engineers did not take parts of to see any cause or results of any damage. I protested as this was the agreement that I had come to with Norwich Union even as late as last Friday when I telephoned and last Wednesday when the telephoned me no mention of any change to this arrangement was mentioned. After a long and argumentative conversation with Norwich Union during which they tried to turn the clock back 3 weeks and say that their original report stood. I said to them that I would contact the national newspapers if something were not sorted out. . They finally gave in and promised they would send an engineer out this then took me back to where I stood 10 days ago. I pointed out that I am disabled and that with not having the car, I was left with no option but to cancel doctors appointments, blood test, etc Further I had had to do this already and that I was housebound without the car.  This made no difference whatsoever, they promised me they would have a date to give me by four PM yesterday when an engineer would visit however four PM came and went without anyone calling me. So that my friends is how it is at this moment time I think to take your advice and call the newspapers.
IP Logged
km449

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 8:37am »

Ashley, why not try this too

"What Car? Helpdesk
If you are in a motoring dispute, get in touch with the What Car? Helpdesk    

wchelpdesk@haynet.com"

Keith
IP Logged
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 2:58pm »

Hi Kieth and thanks I have done as you suggested thanks for the advice . Ashley
IP Logged
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Sep 17th, 2006, 11:28am »

Hi all, Firstly I would like to thank you all for your support, sorry to say the matter still remains unresolved. I have tried to gain some support from the press radio and television nationally and locally  however without success. One person from the press told me, off the record that  Norwich Union Spent large amounts on advertising with the media in general, therefore I would get no support. All I can say is to date they have been correct.
 On Thursday ANOTHER INSPECTOR CAME OUT FROM NORWICH UNION,  He admitted there was damage from the fire he took photos of the fire damaged fuse box and its lid with the clip burnt off and other damage to the fuse box. He then said as I stood with the aid of my crutch. Well I think you have shot yourself in the foot, your speedy action in putting out the fire has meant that there is limited damage so Norwich Union won’t change their minds.  He went on to say they would not pay up and if I had let the fire burn they would have paid without problem.
     I informed the fire brigade who attended that I am being repeatedly told by people involved with Norwich Union, I would have been better of letting the car burn they are up in arms about it. The crew informed me they are informing their headquarters about the matter and confirmed to me and are willing to put it in writing that if I had not taken the action I did the fire would have spread, not only within the car but also to the caravan, standing feet from it,  in turn the gas bottle could have exploded involving the other cars buildings and our home.
     So my friends it is now 4 weeks ago that I had the fire for the last three weeks and  more I have been housebound as you all know without the car I can’t go anywhere. I have missed check ups and clinics at my doctors also treatment.
    So that’s it, I wrote to the managing director of Norwich Union there was not even an acknowledgment of my letter. I have tried the press and other media they don’t want to know.
   My only hope is the Financial Services Ombudsman they have sent them a preliminary letter and that’s it.  
So As Norwich Union People say I would have been better off letting the fire do more damage. Thanks Again  any suggestions always welcome Ashley
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 17th, 2006, 2:05pm »

Hell, that makes my blood boil Angry

If you'd let the fire go as they said, you would've lost everything, nobody from the insurance company would have wanted to know. With regard to advertising, I know from personal experience what you say is true (a friend of mine who worked at our local newspaper); if they tread on toes so to speak, advertising gets withdrawn overnight and the paper risks going broke.

I hope when you DO get this sorted you'll be changing insurance provider, I hope you get the chance to wipe the floor with these b@st@rds, not only claiming for the damage to your car and transport costs but also for the stress they've put you through. Don't give up, it's your car and your policy and Norwich Union are there for you, the customer although some of them may like to think otherwise...

Mabye the ombudsman can still help, making a nuisance of yourself with recorded letters can do wonders Smiley.

Best of luck, regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
kimi

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 17th, 2006, 3:49pm »

Hello Ashley ,  
     I to am very sorry to hear your tale of woe, I to am disabled and can understand how frustrated you must feel. Have you considered talking to a solisitor ? they will come to see you at home, mine does, and it's free (depending on your finanical situation). Usually if/when  they win your case they claim their fees from the insurance company. Most will talk to you for free over the telephone to advise if they can help. What have you got to lose......LET YOUR FINGER DO THE WALKING as they used to say.....Kimi....
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.