Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« sump plug »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   sump plug
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sump plug  (Read 665 times)
swiss tony

View Profile

sump plug
« on: Aug 31st, 2006, 8:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi , does anyone know where i can get a replacement sump plug for my 2.5 tdi?
It won't fully tighten and is leaking slightly.
Have tried halfords but no use .
cheers guys
IP Logged
Sturdybloke

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: sump plug
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 8:06pm »

Try your local Ford main dealer. You might be lucky, as they usually keep small items like sump plugs in stock.  

Hope this is of some help.
IP Logged

1995 Scorpio ultima 2.5 TD manual in red.
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 8:08pm »

dont forget the 2.5tdi has 2 sump plugs......
IP Logged

mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 9:22am »

...unless its the very early engine (1995) and has just the 1.
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 11:41am »

thats interesting mazzy, im sure mines a 95, well it has a cable throttle and no MAF, so i assumed its the earlier 115bhp version..
but it does have 2 hex socket sump plugs....
IP Logged

Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 7:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have you tried the Parts for Sale section?  

Someone breaking a car might have just what you want. Failing that, what about your local breakers?
There are still plenty of these cars around  in scrap yards.

Good luck  Wink
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 11:27pm »

you say its fully tightened and leaking slightly? does it have a washer? you could try a compression washer.....
IP Logged

mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 12:31pm »

Hi taliban, i think there were actually 3 very very slightly different VM derv engines fitted to the scorp. My early 1995 diesel has the 1 sump plug engine and also the wiring to the injector pump is different and the glow plugs are on the side of the cylinder heads. I believe ford used some of the older granny scorpio derv engine in the early scorps possibly. My 1996 car has the  115bhp 2 sump plug engine which has the glow plugs re-located and the rockers are different. The last engine i don't know much about other than it has the MAF, variable turbo, and fly-by-wire. also more power.
The 2 other engines had neither of these.

EDIT:If you need another sump pan with the single sump plug i have a spare one (or 2) if you need it.

Matt
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 1:48am »

i know the later engine is fly by wire and is 125bhp.
variable turbo? dunno if mine works, never had turbo before, i know its meant to kick in at 2200rpm, but i dunno how you tell if its working? a mate said i should feel a 'kick' and might hear it whirr, never felt a kick although the car seems to pull ok.....
IP Logged

mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 9:11am »

Hmmm, i think the turbo had variable vanes (controlled by the ecu) in it so that it worked better over a wider rpm range.

As for telling if the turbo works, floor it from standstill and from about 2k onwards you should be pushed back in your seat. Well, mine does anyways  Grin After 4k it goes a bit flat. If you want it to go quicker all you need to do it ditch that useless EGR system (by plugging the little vacume hose), remove the inlet manifold and clear out all the black tar-like gunk (from the EGR), and then increase the fueling (easy peesy job if you follow sector_9's write up) about a turn on the dial. It will smoke a bit more when you boot it, you could adjust the turbo wastegate to let more air in and reduce the smoke but i havn't got round to that yet. The mpg will stay the same as before at a constant speeds.  

Matt
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 12:17pm »

interesting mazzy, mine deffo has no 'kick' although it pulls through the revs pretty smoothly.
i've already plugged the egr vacuum hose and the engine feels sligghtly more 'free', though i havent cleared out the manifold end.
at the mo i dont want to increase the fueling as mine smokes a fair bit under acceleration, im interested in adjusting the wastegate to reduce the smoke though?
IP Logged

mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 1:46pm »

Mine used to just pull smoothly, until i did the mods and transformed it from the slug it was  Smiley The wastegate sits on the side of the turbo and has a threaded actuator rod. To increase the boost you shorten the actuator length and is done so by loosening the locknut and twisting the threaded part. one full turn changes the boost pressure of round about 1psi (from what i've read). Don't go too mad adjusting it as the whole reason the wastegate is there is to prevent the turbo pressure from getting so great it blows its self to pieces! Maybe 2 turns and see what its like. Thats what i'd start with. The standard actuator isn't that great at holding its pressure, so what i'm going to do when i have time is invest in one from turbo technics and retro fit it.

I've heard of people with smart cars (which are turbos) shortening the wastegate by bending them because they were seized, not really recommended!!

On mine i've got rid of that plastic intake cover behind the bumper on the rhs and run some induction pipe to the air filter housing so it acts as a force feed letting more air get into the engine which will = less smoke.

Matt
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 2:14pm »

ooooooh interesting, im off work next week which was ear marked for decorating, i now have the feeling i'll be playing with my car lol Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.