Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:33am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wiring harness »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Wiring harness
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wiring harness  (Read 1048 times)
kimi

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Wiring harness
« on: Sep 10th, 2006, 10:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Evening chaps, anybody know if the harness from the two plugs on the o/s inner wing ( with the bolt holding the plugs together ) and then running down the V between cylinder heads and feeding / returning various engine electrics and then on down to the gearbox is available from Ford and how much is it Huh or shall I make a replacement myself . making a replacement will not be a problem I'm just lazy !!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Wiring harness
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 7:03am »

Try reading THIS which may give you the incentive to DIY!. This may also help . The Junior timer housings and terminals are NOT compatable with ours as I sent them a sample for comparison and that was their reply.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
kimi

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 10:52am »

Thanks for that , I already knew about  " Vehicle Wiring Products " as Ive used them before, Ford say a new loom is no longer available ( and I wouldn't give Ford £300.00 for a few bits of wire , well quite a bit of wire really ) it's a waste of money. So I'm going to make/repair mine origional one ....Kimi
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 6:36pm »

on Sep 11th, 2006, 7:03am, Simmo wrote:
This may also help . The Junior timer housings and terminals are NOT compatable with ours as I sent them a sample for comparison and that was their reply.

Never seen that site before, I got all the stuff for mine from Farnell Sad

Make your own, easy enough and FAR cheaper than the Ford part, made a fuel cut-off loom for my 2.3 a few months back, silicone wire, loom sleeving called 'Gremfix' from Farnell, works perfectly (touch wood) Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 7:53pm »

Bruce, like you I have recently done some work on the loom. With great difficulty I managed to extract the terminals from the plugs and re-use them. The 'junior timer housings' look identical and thus would save the grief of trying to re-use the old ones( unless the wiring is sound some way back from the plug.) Regretfully that is not the case. If you know of a source of compatable connectors I'm sure we would all like to know as this problem is a continuing one and they are not available from Fords.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 8:23pm »

Simmo, I see your point, they look the same on the picture. I reused mine too, don't know of anywhere to get new ones I'm afraid. The problem is that the connectors on the coil packs for example are sometimes so badly damaged with the heat that they are unusable. Mabye some sourced from a more sheltered part of the loom from another car would help, I'm sure the connectors in the Mk1 Mondeo at least are the same type.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 8:32pm »

Bruce,Will have a look next time I'm at the Scrappy. The chap at Vehicle Wiring Products did say that Fords were a particular problem but if the style is used on later types,as you suggest, maybe that could be a source of supply. Thanks.Mike
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 8:34pm »

I'll check the Mondeo now...reply again in 10...

EDIT: Yes, they look identical, I'd bet my life they're the same part. Also looked at the Haynes manual which covers them up to 1999, the connectors in the pics look identical too so a Mk2 Mondeo donor may be in the picture too.

Hope this helps. Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 9:28pm »

Thanks Bruce, Will check on next visit to Scrappy. Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
kimi

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 5:12pm »

Wireing loom repaired and wrapped with Gaffer first, then a layer of self adhesive alluminuim tape ( to reflect the heat away from the loom ) then a final layer of Gaffer tape... works fine but I didnt have any electrical problems before, I noticed the insulstion was beginning to breakdown so its more preventive maintainance  before problems do start. Plus it was something to do.....Kimi....
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 6:31pm »

Should be fine, just keep an eye on it Wink
IP Logged

kimi

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 12:52pm »

If it is of any interest to you fellow scorpioists the self adhesive alluminium tape is used to seal hot air heating ducts , it comes on a roll thats about 3" wide ( thats 75mm to you young wippersnappers ) I got mine from   " Wickes "  ..... Kimi .....
IP Logged
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 2:05pm »

I replaced my main wire harness a wile ago.
I replaced it with a brand new one from ford. It was £100. The reason I did this was. The engine bay was about to catch fire. With the dangerous wireing. The wire wasnt just damaged. Where you can see on top. But all the way through the engine bay. Where over time heat has developed. The wire looked fine on the outside (plastic caseing) but inside it was a total mess. It was corroded  and had been baked so much. It was so fragile and would snap apart with little or no force.
It was also easyer as it had the sensor plugs all ready on.
In my opinion and my opinion only. I wouldnt dare replace bits here and there.
Sometimes its best to do a job once safley and properly. Wink
If anyone would like pics just let me know. Im sure I still have them. Smiley
IP Logged

derekne
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15th, 2006, 6:01pm »

Yes Derek, like mine. I went to replace the plugs and the entire thing fell apart, I had to suck all the bits out of the wells before I pulled the plugs. This shows the last time my car had a 'full' service despite me paying £190 last September for that and new plugs/filters, my car will not go near a dealer again if I can help it. Every Scorpio owner should check their looms, both V6 and DOHC. I started to get a cold start problem, it disappeared once I made the new loom, it must have been this causing it.

My problem with buying a new Ford loom was that (apart from the price) was that it would probably go the same way, my new loom is made out of silicone cable and sleeving, both aviation grade. I'll post a pic of the new loom if it can help anyone.

Regards, Bruce.

EDIT: Photos of the way I did the connectors on the new loom, not the best pictures but it's not easy balancing a camera over a hot engine Wink

IP Logged

howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 16th, 2006, 10:22pm »

Tiberius looks a really good job you done there. Wink

Alot of Ford cars have dodgy looms between 1994 & 1996.

They didn't just pick on the Scorpio Cheesy
IP Logged

Dave
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.