Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fuel capacity »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Fuel capacity
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fuel capacity  (Read 1328 times)
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Fuel capacity
« on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone, might have figured out my weird fuel issue! Tank capacity according to manual is 70 Litres. Trip computer never seems to reflect the actual amount of fuel in the car, The orange "fuel low" light comes on and i've still got loads of fuel left (Going by how much it takes on fill up). Have just started checking the fuel level using the "trip reset" ie hold down for 5 secs and going through menus. Just filled car up to second click on pump checked level and it says 66 litres Huh Is this a built in thing so even when the trip computer says 0 miles you've still got a gallon left (71-66=5 litres)? Could other members do the same when they fill up and let me know their  
readings so i can figure out if its my car or that's the way Ford intended it. By the way my fuel gauge never quite reads full sits just below, have i got the only scorpio with a 66 litre tank Grin
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Fuel capacity
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:42pm »

Dare I say that the computer may be lying to you? Roll Eyes

When I bought my car it was on the red (so empty that it stalled more than once), yet it still had a couple of miles on the display.

The computer in mine enjoys lying too, looked today and I'm getting 27.9mpg, apparently...

28mpg on a 2.3 auto? I think not Smiley

I work it out sometimes on what I put in on an average week, normally around 20-22 crawling around in town (not often) rising to 24-26 on fast roads.

I believe the fuel light will come on with about 30-50 miles range left in the tank, does in most other cars.

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:03pm »

i think you'll find that the orange low/reserve light comes on when you get down to the last 10 litres, this i checked on my TD. this equates to 2.2 gallons, for me around town that is roughly the 50 mile mark.
the manual does say 70 litre capacity for all models, but i would think its more like 72 if you include the filler neck. i havent checked this against the computer bit on mine, mainly because i've only ever once filled it right up  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

gary1

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:42pm »

Hi
I have a 2.3 manual estate and my fuel warning light comes on with 60 miles left in the tank. I get on average 28.5 miles per gallon combined driving and between 33 and 35 miles per gallon on motorways and that is sticking to the speed limit honest officer.  
 Gary
IP Logged
Bobbit

Scorpio 2.3 ghia x estate

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 8:44am »

I have a 2.3 manual estate and get 28 mpg round town and about 30 on motorway.
My warning light comes on when I have 50 miles left?
Bobbit(Bob)
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:05pm »

30 + MPG? Crikey! Surely I'm not that lead footed Cheesy

Filled up late last night, went about 40 miles on clear A roads, on reaching home it said 28.4; worked it out myself, I'm getting about 25-26 - thats taking it easy on the happy pedal. I never ever use sport mode, never floor it or push it hard and still I run low on juice...

There is no justice in this world Wink

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:46pm »

tiberius, my td only returns around 22-25 mpg around town, but on a run i get 35-45  Grin
IP Logged

PeteB

2.0 16v Ultima Saloon RIP \ 2.5 TD Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 3:35pm »

I was getting an average of 29 in mine ( 2 litre manual ) however after a service it dropped to 26 Sad lord knows why lying computer me thinks

Pete
IP Logged

cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 4:04pm »

Thanks everyone, what i need to know though is what the on board diagnostics say when you've filled the tank to second click on petrol pump. If you're not aware: If you hold down the mileage reset button(Engine running) for about 5 seconds it goes into a sort of diagnostic mode press the reset button each time and it goes through various readings one being fuel in litres. Mine reads 66 litres when full what are other members getting?
Cheers, Guy
PS You'll find the next time you switch on the ignition after the test the dials react as if the battery has been disconnected ie swirl right round and back,this is normal!
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 4:08pm »

If i remeber corectly the tank has 75 liters
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 4:26pm »

On a 400 mile Motorway trip to from  Perth  to  Preston  and  back  ( at 60 ish MPH )  my  average was   34.5  MPG.

Not  bad  for a   2  litre 16v.
IP Logged
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 5:12pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:46pm, taliban wrote:
tiberius, my td only returns around 22-25 mpg around town, but on a run i get 35-45  Grin

You obviously go on a run more slowly than I do tiberius!!! Grin

Tank is 70 litres, normally 2 or 3 extra for pipes. I pur 70litres dead in mine last time, had been on red for 70 miles though! I was driving like a nun for the last 30 or so!

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.