Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 5:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« switch illumination »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   switch illumination
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: switch illumination  (Read 1062 times)
daz_38

97 2.3  ultima

View Profile

switch illumination
« on: Oct 7th, 2006, 2:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi everyone after reading about changing bulbs in switchs i thought ide have a go myself and managed to change bulbs in all the switchs /front rear heated screen / heated seats window switchs and sun roof switch but with this one you need a switch from a mk3 scorpio/granada and i was very lucky to get hold of some of of the net  these can all be replaced quite easily but great care is needed when opening switch housing   i would like to know if any other member has done this or needs advice doing the job also would like to add photos  to furum if poss how do i do this  thanx Huh
IP Logged

long live the scorpio
craig

Email

Re: switch illumination
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 2:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

have a read of      THIS HERE
IP Logged
daz_38

97 2.3  ultima

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 2:43pm »

yeah thanx for that craig  this page is where i got my ideas from  to change the bulbs just wanted to see if any other members had done this  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

long live the scorpio
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 3:55pm »

Get your photos hosted by somebody like these people, when you've uploaded your photos, copy the IMG tag and paste it into your post where you want the photo Smiley

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 8:11pm »

I have LEDs in ALL my switchs inc. the sun roof & electric rear seat switchs & replaced every dash bulb too as half were blown when i bought the car,it lights up like a xmas tree now!!
IP Logged

Gary
SnowyScorpio

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 7:49pm »

Im trying to get my heated seat switches stripped to change the bulb. How exactly is this done?  Undecided
IP Logged

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 8:31pm »

on Feb 4th, 2009, 7:49pm, SnowyScorpio wrote:
Im trying to get my heated seat switches stripped to change the bulb. How exactly is this done?  Undecided

Switch comes apart quite easily but be careful not to lose or break anything.

I'm in the process of getting hold of some LEDs etc... to do mine. If it doesn't take me too long I may offer a repair / exchange service to site members.
Just waiting for the bits to drop through the mail.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
SnowyScorpio

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 10:45pm »

Aha... i got that sucker open.

The button part (where your thumb presses) and the actual switch is "snapped" together.  

I couldnt get this two pieces to separate with resonable amount of force so i did it like this.

First i popped the switch open in the bottom. The switch comes out a few milimeters.  

Then i made a small L shaped hole with a blade on the side of the switch to allow me to insert a small screwdriver in between the to pieces and gently separate them. And then the switch came apart.

Im now soldering a 5mm gren led and a 1,2k resistor into each switch.

That storm u britts had the other day got me when i was driving home from work today. Subzero rain made my scorp into a icecube, but now it´s snowin so i guess the trip will be better tomorrow....
IP Logged

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2009, 11:47am »

on Feb 4th, 2009, 10:45pm, SnowyScorpio wrote:
Aha... i got that sucker open.

The button part (where your thumb presses) and the actual switch is "snapped" together.  

I couldnt get this two pieces to separate with resonable amount of force so i did it like this.

First i popped the switch open in the bottom. The switch comes out a few milimeters.  

Carefully put a thin screwdriver in the gap between the button part and the housing (first on one side, then switch sides). They are stuck in the end where the seat symbol is. You need a bit of gentle force, but it will not easily break (not as easily as those Ford->Din stereo frames do, I have broke two already and I have had the car since september last year). The housing opens pretty easily with a thin 1mm flat screwdriver.

Worked on first try with both switches.

I went for red for a change, I swore at some point I wouldn't bother, but then you start to notice all the burnt bulbs...

Takes around 5 minutes if the soldering iron is hot, and about the same for a single window switch.  

For the window switches it's safe to waste the resistor and put a new one in of correct rating. The window switch uses a 3mm 5V omnidirectional led, so no standard led can be used with the old 390 ohm resistor (measured). I used a 620ohm resistor with a diffuse beam 3mm red led (also goes for yellow). The mcd rating of the led could be 400-700 and it will light up very bright (for diffuse beam ones). For green, use a 470ohm. The anode (+) is on the pin soldered to the resistor.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.