Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ticking »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   ticking
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ticking  (Read 804 times)
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

ticking
« on: Oct 9th, 2006, 1:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi after losing my scorpio in the fire I am  still trying to find a Scorpio, I have found one its £1300 with a full years MOT and tax until 5/2007.  It has 76,000 on a p/1996  2.3 with full service history.   As well a having some rust spots around the back wheel arches its has a very light ticking that seems to come from around the drivers door or betwen there and the wheel.  Whilst the car is stationery this ticking is not heard, however it does not seem to change frequency or time when speed is increased or decreased.  It is very quiet and light almost as audilble as a pocket watch, never getting and louder or quieter.  Also the steering wheel is slightly off centre and other observations include the auxilary fuse box could be brand new  screws are shiny.  Any thoughts would be appreciated    Ashley
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: ticking
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 5:08pm »

Welcome back Ashley Smiley

Rust isn't too bad a problem, my 2.3 has a trace where the rear arches meet the bumper (on my 'jobs to do' list Wink), it seems the salt/mud collects on the edge of the wheel arch liner.

As for the ticking sound I'm not quite sure what it could be, perhaps something aftermarket fitted? It's not possibly a relay is it?

As for price, you could try haggling below £1000, saw a very clean 1997/R reg 2.3 Ghia facelift the other week, 100000 miles for £850, don't see why you need to go over £1k.

And get a car check from the RAC or somebody just to be on the safe side, far better to pay a few ££ on that rather than buy a car with hidden history.  

Good luck mate, hope you find what you're looking for Wink

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 9:44pm »

Hi all one problem solved the ticking was a lose wheel centre cap. One down but some to go lol
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 12:33am »

The Scorp is such a silent car, so you do tend to hear odd noises that you wouldn't hear in most other cars.

I once had a ticking noise....hunted high & low for it....just couldn't find it........drove me mad it did. Angry

Then, one day (happened to be my Birthday), got into the car (sporting my nice new digital watch that the wife had bought me), & I noticed the ticking had gone. Cheesy

Not heard it since, & still don't know what it was Huh

IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 8:03am »

ROFL ROFL ROFL
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 9:39am »

The off-centre steering wheel can be cured by slight adjustment to the track rod ends.  

There's information about this procedure on the  site.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 9:55am »

It's HERE
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.