Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« wiper blades »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   wiper blades
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: wiper blades  (Read 911 times)
frank.a

97 scorpio 2.0 16v

View Profile Email

wiper blades
« on: Oct 11th, 2006, 4:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

just had a new screen fitted to my scorp.

what blades should i fit ?
IP Logged
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: wiper blades
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 4:43pm »

Oh, new screen, i'm jealous. I believe you wont go too far wrong putting 20's on both sides.
Guy.
IP Logged
frank.a

97 scorpio 2.0 16v

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 5:53pm »

Thanks cossieguy.  
maybe i worded it wrong in asking
what blades to use. i meant what make of blades would  
you suggest. Wink thanks Wink
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 6:19pm »

Hi Frank,  

Any decent makes such as bosch, champion, motaquip, motorcraft etc, just avoid the cheap chinese ones from the markets!

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 6:55pm »

Bought some new Unipart ones for mine this morning. Went for the same brand as was on there. And boy have they been on there.... for the 4 years I've had the car and god knows how long before!  Shocked

Anyway, they are indeed 20" and the whole blades (not just refills) cost me 12quid.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 3:18pm »

I purchased some bosh 20 inch blades from halfords a couple of weeks ago and the drivers side wiper kept hitting the metal trim on the top of the screen. No matter how I adjusted the blade, on ramming speed the blade was certainly going too far. Now I am not the most patient of men...I solved the problem by grinding off the metal tip from the top of the blade and then nipping the end of the metal to secure the rubber vane.
I then dipped the bare metal end in kurust. Result, blade does what it should and dosent hit the metal trim.
Now the question is,when you buy a supposed quality product and I have always bought good gear for the car, cos I like to see where I am going and like to stop when I brake and trust in the grip in good tyres ect. does the quality seem to be missing or rather lack lustre.
I tell you why, Its because these so called quality names are out sourcing their business to foreign manafacturers. Those of us with long memories will recall marks and spencer who for many years sold high quality products and then they got greedy and outsourced their clothing to the far east. The direct result was shoddy workmanship and the M&S Co nearly went bust.(not opionion, fact)
Just my two cents worth maybe but from now on I am keeping the box untill I know that the kit is fit for the job Angry
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 3:34pm »

Agree

I've found a cheapo brand which is actually FAR better than any bosch wiper (both longer lasting and leaves less water on the screen), and costs about 1/4 (approx £5.50 a piece).
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 4:56pm »

Yeah, the Bosch stuff probably is cheap foreign crap in a decent box. That's why they stock 'em in Halfords.

Like I said, I went for the UniPart ones again. They don't clash on anything and are so nice and quiet. Oh, and they wipe good too.

Product Code: UGCGWB920
£12.55 inc VAT for the pair
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 5:57pm »

Hi Ferret, did you actually check to see that the blade was in fact a 20" one?  It dont matter how cheap and crappy something is, 20" is 20", (ask the missus  Grin )!!  If the blade you got is say a 21" boxed wrong it will bash the surround.  If they came from Halfords its more likely some spotty oik has put it in the wrong box  Grin Grin Regards Dave
IP Logged

ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 2:49pm »

Yes the blade was a 20inch jobbie and as the workshop next to mine is motor vehicles, I tried all sorts of connectors to try and relieve the problem but the end result was just the same...thus grinding the end off was a last resort Angry
The thought did occur to me that something more sinester was occuring with the wiper linkage...........
....nah, crap wipers. But Hey! at £17.50 a side there is no need to worry. Illigitimas Scroatumus Germanicus.
IP Logged
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 4:52pm »

Hi, Ferret,
Sounds to me like Illigitimas Rippusoffunt Halfordium  Grin Grin if they charged £17.50 per blade Shocked Shocked   SC motor Factors do Bosch at about £6.50 each.  Seriously though, I've just checked and measured mine and each wiper is 20" and when vertical on the screen they are 3" away from the top screen trim.  Perhaps your wiper arms are wrong??  My Wiper Arms are 20" long passenger side and 18" drivers side.  Are you sure some Illegitimus Windscreenum  Fitterus hasn't put yours back on the wrong way round at some time ??
Would be interested to know Wink
IP Logged

v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 5:38pm »

hi i just had a new screen too, £185 tpft insurance Angry i fitted 20" blades to mine chrome rip speed ones look good and work well too, both have spoilers so stick to the screen well. £10 each from the dreaded halfords
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16th, 2006, 8:53am »

I had new screen fitted in the summer £60 on full comp.
Nice to have both sides of heater working. I have been out and measured the linkage and it is all as it should be. So I am rather at a loss on this one Huh
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.