Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Alarm troubles progress! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Alarm troubles progress!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alarm troubles progress!  (Read 402 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Alarm troubles progress!
« on: Oct 21st, 2006, 12:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

A major step forward this morning, following my collection of a working key fob from Dave in Salford - thanks Dave and a pleasure to meet you Wink

I/we tested the remote when I collected it, but it didn't work when I tried it a little while later when I put the car to bed at home.

I fitted a new set of batteries late last night, but was just too tired to go test it.

This morning I carried a out re-pairing of the remote with the car and it works again with the car.

Pressing the 'lock' button once locks the car and the LED on top of the dash starts flashing to indicate the alarm is also set - I could not get the alarm to set at all using the actual keys. Pressing the lock button twice I can hear the double locking come in and the alarm also shows as set.

So now we know there was nothing much wrong with the alarm or the double locking and that the '95 Ultima did indeed have a double locking system fitted.

Deliberately triggering the alarm, the only noise is a tick, tick - tick, tick of a relay some where. So my best guess is that the alarm horn might be faulty - not a great problem to solve.

Dave did suggest the problem with the alarm/double locking via the actual keys might be due to problems with the lock contacts - it seems he might be right, but I cannot yet fathom out why it manages to central lock on the key with faulty lock contacts. It also seems a little odd that it should affect both front doors.

Thanks again for all of the help.      

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
swannee0

2.3 ultima manual LPG

View Profile

Re: Alarm troubles progress!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 12:23pm »

Hi Harry, thanks and a pleasure to meet you also.the reason why the central locking on your car works without arming the alarm with the key is because it acctuates the central lock solonoid which is attatched to the lock assembly itself and not on the door lock barrel it was late lastnight and brain wasn't fully functioning,the alarm gets it's set signal from the contact switch which is directly on the back off the barrel if memory serve's me right. Anyway good luck with the car mate.
         cheers Dave.
IP Logged

member nearly eight years but still a newbieHuh?
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Re: Alarm troubles progress!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 6:40pm »

Sorted.... exactly as Dave suggested - The door key locking contacts.

So from the top...

There was no sound from the horn despite the ticking relay because someone had unplugged the horn, once cable was back in place it worked fine.

Double locking and alarm was now setting with the remote, but not able to do that with the key in the door. Global open worked, but not global close.

I eventually managed to get the double locking and alarm to set once today by turning the key, which rather confirmed the poor contacts on the lock theory.

Pulled door trims off, the lock unlock switches and treat them to some cleaner. Double locking works, alarm sets and whats more it now global closes if you hold the key for a few seconds in the lock position.

Now what I think must be the explanation for this behavior....

The switches were intermitant, making brief contact, just long enough to operate the central locking. The setting of the alarm and double locking need more than brief contact to make them operate and the global locking several seconds of good contact.  

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.