Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Parking radar install. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Parking radar install.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Parking radar install.  (Read 887 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Parking radar install.
« on: Oct 28th, 2006, 9:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I've had the system for about 8 months, but just got around to installing it in the 'new' Scorp. I have never used or installed one before.

It is one of those 4 sensor types, covering the rear only and I used the locations for the sensors as described in http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/8proximity.htm
 for the rear sensors and located there they seem to work quite well. When I bought it via ebay it cost around £30, a little more than the two sensor ones, but it leaves no blind spots behind you that I noticed.

Like most of them, the display is linked to the 'black box' mounted in the boot, by a single multi-core cable, then the 4 sensors plug into the 'black box'. Lead lengths were more than adequate.  

I used masking tape as is usually suggested for making the holes, but it stuck so well to the bumper that it managed to lift some paint as I took it off  Sad If you use masking tape remove some of the stickyness first by dabbing it on another surface first. I installed the display well out of the way in the far corner of the of the dash, behind the tax disk. Cables from the sensor fed without too much difficulty along the inside of the bumper with a bit of fishing and emerged together to pass up and through the grommet in the boot for the number plate lamps. The black box hides neatly behind the plastic panel to access the off side tail lights, using the bolt for the boot lid for ground connection. A revesing light feed was a little more difficult ot find due to the lights being fitted in the boot lid, but I managed to tap into it where the loom emerges from the off side hinge. It is the Orange wire with Purple tracer.

I fed the display cable around the rear of the boot, through to the nearside of the cabin, then just left it draped across the top of the carpet for now. I have another cable to run front to back for the 12S socket, so I shall hide them both in one go under the carpet.  

The display is a neat unobtrusive half moon shaped thing, which gives a bargraph display of left and right, a bleeper and a numeric distance to the obstruction starting at just under 2m with a 'P' displayed and a continuous tone when you get about 0.1 m from the object which translates to about 2" before my towball makes actual contact, so when it suggests I stop, it really does mean it.

How well does it work...

It does rather become confused by objects which are not directly behind and seems to pick up walls which are alongside, rather than behind you, but as you reverse the side objects don't get any nearer in the display so you learn to ignore them.  

Accuracy of the indicated P distance was spot on everytime I tried it and it was much closer than I would normally try to get whilst manouvering in or out of a parking spot.  

The install took me most of the afternoon today, but I wasted an hour when the supplied hole cutter fell out of the drill after cutting the second hole, landing inside the bumper. I eventually managed to retreave it with one  of those magnets on a telescopic wand, bending it in a curve to probe deep into the bottom of the bumper.  

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

Re: Parking radar install.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 1:06pm »

I fitted what seams to be a very similar system when I got my car back from the body shop. (The wife kept driving into things)
So there I was brand new bumber with new paint and a drill with hole cutter.
I had a one of those "what are you doing" moments Grin
IP Logged
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 3:38pm »

on Oct 29th, 2006, 1:06pm, cossie_al wrote:

I had a one of those "what are you doing" moments Grin

Had similar thoughts when doing mine,  went along the lines of "Do I really need parking sensors?" luckily fought through it and drilled the holes, best decision in ages, parking is so much easier now.
Guy.
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 4:01pm »

on Oct 29th, 2006, 3:38pm, cossieguy wrote:

Had similar thoughts when doing mine,  went along the lines of "Do I really need parking sensors?" luckily fought through it and drilled the holes, best decision in ages, parking is so much easier now.
Guy.

Agree Agree Agree

Though not only easier much safer....

Why do the sheeple choose the moment you start reversing - to decide to risk walking through the gap?
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.