Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Temperature Gauge -shotgun approach »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Temperature Gauge -shotgun approach
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Temperature Gauge -shotgun approach  (Read 413 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Temperature Gauge -shotgun approach
« on: Oct 29th, 2006, 11:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The last of the electircal niggles bit the dust this evening, I am pleased to say.

I had a good look at what the gauge was doing and it was obviously an electrical problem due to the speed the needle was moving about. No air lock would cause it to move that quickly up and down.

I used a shot gun approach. I fitted a replacement sender unit whilst the system was still quite warm. Removing the filler to release any pressure, then allowing it to cool a little created a bit of a vacuum allowing me to remove the original sender without loosing any water.  

I again tried pulling the senders plug to ground, with no noticeable change in the gauge reading. Voltage measured at the plug was about 0.7v with a high resistance digital meter, where as I would have expected something closer to 12v - this was with the rubber plug just connected to the meter alone.  

I then traced the stat wire back to what turned out to be a very robust looking multi-plug on the offside inner wing - with a bolt holding the two parts together, a quick disconnect point for much of the engine electrics for the removal of the entire engine.  

Pulling that apart I noticed a small amount of oxidation on the pins, cleaned it up and gave both halves of the connector a good spray with WD40 and several plugging and unpluggings to help clear what was left of the oxidation.

Whilst it was off, I checked the continuity between the rubber plug and the multi-plug which was fine.

I then reassembled everything, jacked up the front of the car, took the filler cap off and ran the engine - the suggested method for curing airlocks in the cooling system around the sender. absolutely no air came out at all, despite my squeezing the hoses to help it along.

After which I took it out for a 10 mile test run (any excuse to drive it), the gauge stayed rock steady at very slightly above the horizontal.  

So whatever it was, it is now fixed. What do I think the problem with the gauge was? Almost certainly the oxidation on the multi-plugs pins.  

I also checked out the rest of the engine loom for signs of it suffering heat and/or moisture damage, but I'm glad to say it all looked to be in surprisingly good condition.  

This is the first car I have had in a very long time, where the guage actually settles close  to the mid point - all my other recent ones have settled some way below. A matter of component tollerances. All that is important is knowing where the gauge normally settles and watching for any strange behaviour from the gauge.

I will say this 2.9 engine generates an awful lot of heat and very quickly. My late Granada 2L despite the stat being checked took for ever to get to the point of opening the stat fully and never needed to run its cooling fans in anger - you couldn't miss them kicking in, they would drown out the engine noise. I once did a high speed run of a 100 miles in that in the middle of the day with record temperatures, parked straight in the garage and deliberately left it running with the radiator blanked off -to see how long it would take to provoke the fan to cut in - it still took it 30 minutes before the first fan cut in.

That appeared to be a remarkably fuel efficient engine and returned some brilliant mpg figures throughout the time I have had it - better than some of the small cars I have had over the years. This is now sold as of this evening. If only this 2.9 would come close  Sad

Now, does anyone know a fix for the fuel wrning light turning itself on so soon after you fill it up Grin  

So that is petty much all of the above decks bits covered without yet crawling underneath for anything but a quick safety check. The proper checks below should start next week.  
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Temperature Gauge -shotgun approach
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 6:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Almost certainly a Fuel Sender Unit issue.

Try working your magic on the contacts down there.

Fuel safety precautions apply of course!!  Shocked
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 6:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi there

Quote:
Now, does anyone know a fix for the fuel wrning light turning itself on so soon after you fill it up    

think this is a bit of dry humour. Wink Grin
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 3:35pm »

Fell for that one didn't I.   Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 5:03pm »

Harry. I've left you a message. (See top of the page).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.