Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heat from where! and drive belt fun »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Heat from where! and drive belt fun
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heat from where! and drive belt fun  (Read 365 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Heat from where! and drive belt fun
« on: Oct 30th, 2006, 5:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I earlier asked the question where was the heat for the cabin coming from after travelling only 100yds or so from a completely cold start. I just could not believe the engines cooling system could produce heat so quickly after a cold start, so assumed it must be fom the a/c - CC.

The temperature gauge was not working until late yesterday evening, so I had not much idea what the coolant temperature was or just how quickly it could rise on this engine.

I started it up this evening, after being stood for 18 hours and kept an eye on the newly fixed temperature gauge - as took it for it's fifth trial fitting of an a/c drive belt [1]. The gauge rose at an amazing rate, it was almost up to normal within the 100yds of pulling out of my garage and the CC's heater fan kicked in to warm up the cab. So that's where the heat is coming from.

I've never seen anything like it, the pointer just shoots up then stops at slightly above the horizontal and stays there rock steady. You can actually see the needle moving. The certainly fastest warming engine I have ever seen.  

[1] I have had tremendous problems getting hold of an a/c compressor drive belt of the correct size and problems with the main belt too. The first offerings were a pair of V belts, but this engine uses flat ribbed drive belts for both.  

I suggested the belts for my 2.9 12v might be the same as the 24v Scorpio and the main belt for that fit, but not the a/c one it was too small. A slightly longer one was ordered and again that proved too short, the next one was the correct size on the packaging, but in fact was the same size as its predecessor as stamped on the actual belt another ordered which was nearly long enough, then finally a correctly sized one turned up today.  

Both were well worn, though would have lasted a while longer. With them changed it is one less potential cause for a breakdown and should there be a problem with either in the future - I always keep any small light usuable parts such as drive belts - safe in the boot as spares.  

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Heat from where! and drive belt fun
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 7:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

FYI The drive belt details are DRiVE BELTS for future reference.
As for the heat you have to remember that the gear box uses the left hand side of the main radiator as a cooler and there is also an oil cooler fitted.... all adds to the quick warm up.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.