Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cyliner head gasket replacement »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   cyliner head gasket replacement
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cyliner head gasket replacement  (Read 351 times)
foxie3888

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

cyliner head gasket replacement
« on: Oct 31st, 2006, 2:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi I have a scorpio 2.3 16v with a blown head gasket between cylinders 3 and 4 in order to remove the burn marks out of the head 0.50mm has to be skimmed from it . the present depth of the head is 147.599 mm and with the information obtained from the site the minimum this can be is 147.45 mm only allowing .149 mm to be skimmed does anyone have a solution to this I thought maybe 2 headgaskets has anyone tried this with success HuhHuh
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: cyliner head gasket replacement
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 2:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is definitely not an option. Absolutely not.

It can be done with some older engines, and with some marine applications (in fact some engines require 2 gaskets), but for this engine..........NO!!

A car engine is subjected to extreme forces and temperatures. Combustion occurs between the piston and cylinder head. In time the temperature and forces associated with this combustion will warp or burn the surface of the cylinder head. This is directly in the gasket area, so you'd have BIG problems.

Engine rebuilders MAY (in some cases) be able to weld the damaged area, but I think in your case, they would be ill-advised to do this, because the head will still need skimming after welding, and with the out of limit  tolerances you have quoted, it's certainly not something I'd be happy about recommending to you.

Having said that.....It's your shout!!

In my opinion your only option is to find another cylinder head. There should be plenty about. Or even another car. MOT failures go for peanuts. 

There's a Complete Engine on Ebay at the moment. Steve Savill. Described as in good condition (still in the car so may be possible to hear it).

Item  4638787418

Might be cheaper than a new head!! AND you'll have all the other bits!  Wink
IP Logged
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 4:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good luck in finding a second hand head in good condition, A new one will cost you over £400 and will probably have to be ordered and come from Germany.
IP Logged

Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would also have a good search round your local breakers. There are plenty of these cars around, and it's possible you'll strike lucky.  

Also check the Parts for sale section on this forum.  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.