Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3  Ultima Estate Auto O/D  ?? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   2.3  Ultima Estate Auto O/D  ??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3  Ultima Estate Auto O/D  ??  (Read 336 times)
paulw

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

2.3  Ultima Estate Auto O/D  ??
« on: Nov 7th, 2006, 5:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,
  Have driven a Granada 2.0 Estate for over 6 years,
best car I`ve ever had ,in every way. Have only ever opened bonnet to check oil etc then quickly shut it again. The garage has done what little else has been  
needed.
 I am now considering a `98 2.3 Ultima estate Auto O/D, with 111k miles on the  clock. What are the worst things  
that might happen? I have heard that the auto-box
may give trouble, and also, slightly less of a worry,
the head gasket .

Anyone with any expert advice ?
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

Re: 2.3  Ultima Estate Auto O/D  ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 6:25pm »

Hi Paul,

Autobox is no better or worse than many others, unfortunately the mileage on the car means the box has done well, and I beleive there is a problem with Inlet Manifolds cracking on these engines too.  I'm an ex auto box man though so haven't had a lot of experience re this particular engine.

As far as the Transmission goes though, if it is driving ok in all the gears, remove the pan, change the fluid and filter, clean the pan and magnet and put it back with a new gasket.  This will significantly extend the life of the gearbox.   Wink  

Don't do what most people do and wait till its playing up, do this as preventative maintenance, not as a cure.  

Once they are playing up it is a downhill slope,   Cry  and time for a professional re - build.  Beware of the cheapies, and don't even think of going to Mr Clutch LOL !!  ROFL ROFL ROFL

Hope this helps, and good luck with the car.

Regards,
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 6:39pm »

Hello Paul and welcome aboard Wink

Things to look out for when buying a Scorpio:

- Autobox, pull the dipstick (the black one on the left, the yellow one's engine oil) and check the colour of the fluid; it should be red/pink, if it looks more the colour of engine oil and smells burnt then be very wary or walk away. This is the best indication of the condition of the 'box. Try and get it on a decent test drive and take notice how the gears engage, notice if there are any thumps and see how long it takes to engage D or R from P; the longer it takes the more worn the autobox is.

- Rust, all cars get some rust as they get old but later Scorpios can have bad areas (even my June '96 P reg has more than average). Places to check (from experience, but on the saloon though) are the door edges, door bottoms, boot edges, rear wheelarches where they meet the rear bumper.  

- Head gasket can fail, as can the cylinder head itself but it seems most Zetec engined Fords are prone to this (my Cousin's 2.0 Mondeo has just blown a head gasket). Check the coolant for level and traces of oil floating on top and take off the oil filler cap and check inside for 'mayo' if you're worried about any leaks.

- May be worth checking that the AC works (not major but it can get expensive on any car), with the car warmed up, set it to LO and then HI and see how cold/hot it gets.

- Also worth checking how well all the electrical gizmos are working (windows, central locking, audio system etc). Not fatal but could save you some headaches later on. Have a good read through this site before you commit yourself to anything.

It can be a pain but the 2.3 is a nice engine, much smoother and refined than other Ford 4 pot units and the Scorpio is a nice drive, a genuine improvement on the Granny.

Bit of a ramble but hope this helps you, others will be able give advice too. These are the things I check when browsing motors Wink

Good luck.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 6:43pm »

Give it a good check over, test drive and get an OBD scan done on it if you can before you buy it.
Check the autobox fluid!

Other than that its pay your money and take your chance  Grin

Have a look here  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/advice.htm
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.