Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Xenon Headlamps Legal Warning »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Xenon Headlamps Legal Warning
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Xenon Headlamps Legal Warning  (Read 2588 times)
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

Xenon Headlamps Legal Warning
« on: Nov 10th, 2006, 6:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi  Wink
I have been informed today of a legal obligation regarding vehicles fitted with xenon headlamp bulbs that must be taken in to consideration for those of us contemplating fitting them.

Quote:
Main headlamps with xenon low beam are available as optional equipment. Ellisoid headlamps and lamps charged with xenon are likewise used.  The light generarated by xenon headlamps has a similiar colour to daylight, providing brighter illumination of the road area than halogen light. The increased dazzle effect produced by xenon light make automatic headlamp range control and high pressure headlamp washer systems a legal obligation.

Advantages of automatic headlamp range control:.
* Ideal headlamp range under all conditions
* Range of vision is not shortened when braking
* Other road-users are not dazzled on acceleration
* Compensation of slow alterations to the vehicle inclination (e.g. tank contents decreasing)
* Compensation of all payloads

High pressure headlamp washer systems:
* Clears lens from contaminants causing refraction of light

This information cannot be ignored so I may just stick with the normal xenon gass filled halogen bulbs which are still considerably brighter than the normal ones.

Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Re: XENON BULBS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 11:28pm »

I'm still waiting to be convinced by someone who has  tried swapping one side only for the xenon bulbs, that they do produce a genuine and worth while improvement. There is plenty of advertising hype, but little first hand comment to support it.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Xenon Headlamps Legal Warning
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 10:56am »

Mike,

who told you of the legal obligations?

The Fiat punto in some guises were fitted with xenon lamps as were a few other entry level type vehicles and they didn't have auto height adjustunits or headlamp washers....

I fitted xenons to mine and it has just passed an MOT with no advisorys. Mine has manual afjust height and washers and as yet I have had no issues with people being dazzled and flashing me or from the plod (who would probably be too busy changing the film in speed cameras to worry anyway)
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 12:18pm »

Same here, just fitted the same HID kit as baz, took the car to local garage to have the allignment checked, had no issues at all Smiley
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 12:35am »

I often get dazzled at night by on-coming & tail gaters. The first thought is they have their full beem on, but obviously they've got xenon bulbs fitted.

I was under the impression that xenon bulbs could only be fitted to headlamps that were designed to take them...i.e...modern car headlamps with different reflective qualities than old cars.
Most of the cars that seem to dazzle me are older cars which obviously weren't designed to take xenon bulbs.  
Sometimes after being dazzled I literally have spots in my eyes for about 5 minutes, as though I've looked straight into the sun.

Surely these cars can't pass MOTs with these bulbs fitted Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 9:31am »

I wonder what the power usage of these bulbs are. I use a series of high grade Xenon torches ranging from 6v to 9v and they cain battery power in lithium cells. Leaving your lights on while the car is not turning over would probably kill your battery in a much shorter time than Halogen. Also, if the Xenon uses all 12V that it has been supplied from the system (not resisted to a lesser voltage) then the brightness must be nearing 300 lumen (high grade bulbs) which is nearly 2x that of a standard headlight. To give you an idea, full beam is about 400-500 Shocked. Going on this I would say they have to be limited to be legal at all never mind the narrow beam pattern.
Here's an interesting fact for you; these were developed for police and military use to stun bad guys with one short burst of light so they dont shoot back.... Just think about that one...
IP Logged

Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 10:29am »

The HID systems use less power (less amps) then a standard bulb as they run at a very high voltage in order to strike. tipically they need a few 1000 volts, hence the balast. a normal bulb is rated 55/60w, the HID i have fitted is rated at 35w

as for running the headlights with the engine off, with my cossie the headlights go off when i turn engine off, so thats not an issue

as for a upgraded regular H1 bulb, theses are normally filled with diffrent gasses in order to increase the brightness or give the blue HID look. anything over the 55/60w rating i would assume these be illegal or at least risk overheating the wiring to the lights

i think the issue here is people having badly adjusted or running self leveling systems at the wrong setting...

matt
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 4:35pm »

i thought the hidd systems were developed for motor sport; rallying at night, le mans 24 hours etc.
oh well, i'll make do with my blue h1 bulbs, they're good enough for my use....
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 5:33pm »

Hmmm...I'm sticking with what I've got, far less hassle Smiley

Some headlamps are blinding, seems mostly German cars but now I'm noticing others too. I agree in part with Matt about beams being badly set but some of the kits are too powerful and don't work well with all types of lenses.

Main beam is fine but you have to flick it off every time you pass another car, the headlamps on the Scorp are good on normal lit roads but it's pitch black on others, the fogs are useless most of the time...

It's times like this when I miss a working dipping rear view mirror Roll Eyes

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Why do people change their headlamp bulbs anyway?
The ones that are supplied as standard on the vehicle, are pefectly adequate for driving, and I agree that bad headlamp performance is often due to poor adjustment, or old bulbs.

New bulbs are usually all that's needed, as the Scorpio Headlamps are generally pretty good.
Down here in Devon, I do a fair bit of my mileage on unlit country roads, and certainly have no complaints at all.  Wink
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 9:03pm »

on Nov 13th, 2006, 7:21pm, Spannerdemon wrote:
Why do people change their headlamp bulbs anyway?

My own experience is that they are perhaps very slightly better than my Granada on dip, but not nearly as good on main beam. On main the Granada had double the wattage of the Scorpio's main beam, with four lamps lit versus the two of the Scorp. Neither car has/had the lighting performance of some of the more modern cars.

My Scorp's light output improved noticeably, by simply installing replacement bulbs of exactly the same type as originally fitted.  

Working on the theory that the more light the better, I am at the moment considering replacing the lamp bulbs with H1 xenon versions - if only I could find some reliable reviews to check the validity of the claims for these types of lamps.  

IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14th, 2006, 9:55am »

Harry,

I think you'll find the Scorpio has 2 bulbs per headlamp and both these are lit on full beam.

I have bad eyesight, but with correctly adjusted lamps with good bulbs I find my Scorpio's Headlamps more than adequate. I often comment how good they are at night, so I do think the issue here is old bulbs and adjustment.

Regards,
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14th, 2006, 3:48pm »

on Nov 14th, 2006, 9:55am, Dave2302 wrote:
Harry,

I think you'll find the Scorpio has 2 bulbs per headlamp and both these are lit on full beam.

You are of course correct. With main beam selected the Scorp has 2x main and 2x dipped on. On the Granada it had 4x main beam on. Perhaps the Scorpio's lighting up of the immediate forground with the dipped beam, makes the main beam seem worse than it is?
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14th, 2006, 4:15pm »

Quote:
I am at the moment considering replacing the lamp bulbs with H1 xenon versions - if only I could find some reliable reviews to check the validity of the claims for these types of lamps.

A HID kit is an expensive upgrade and could be hard to justify if you don't do much night driving. However, Baz and I have fitted a HID system to the Scorpio and from my experience, the light improvement justifies the cost for me.

As i posted in the other topic about upgrading the headlights currently running on the forum, for a free light improvement and one that deffo works, strip the headlight down (remove the outer glass) and using a clean and dry paper towel or cloth, very very carefully clean both sides of the dip beam lense (small circular one at the top). It amazing how dirty that gets

Matt  Smiley
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 14th, 2006, 6:16pm »

The standard ones are alright for me, I do most of my driving at night and most of the roads around here are unlit. Main beam is more than adequate and the headlamps are way better than they are on the Mondeo (and they aren't bad Wink), the dipped could throw the light a bit further but mabye that's the dipping pattern anyway (had them checked recently). Fogs are useless as driving lamps but then the name 'fog lamp' surely implies something? Cheesy  

It's up to the individual what they do but after toying with it I don't think I really need it. The mod does look nice but then so do nice silver standard pre facelift bug eyes Roll Eyes

I did strip mine down last year and clean them (water...don't ask Undecided), the insides of the lenses alone get a milky dust on them.

@ Harry: The old Granada had a large headlamp cluster, mabye they are better than the Scorpio's. A good friend of mine in London has owned a 1987 Granada 2.0 Ghia from nearly new, the next time we're in the garage I'll ask him if he wants to do a side by side headlamp comparison Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 8:55pm »

Bruce, you may think the original lights on the Scorpio are good but if you were to put it alongside mine or Matts, you would see an amazing improvement on the standard bulbs.

Matt is correct, most of the dazzling headlights are caused by incorrect settings, badly loaded cars (i.e. two fat people in the back!!) etc. After I fitted my xenon kit I went to my mates garage and got him to set them for me correctly (he has an MOT station as well and there has been no problems on that front either)
IP Logged
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 9:09pm »

my 16year old granada has a far better light show than my ultima,is that because of the four main beams ?whereas the ultima has two dips and  two main beams on when on full beam, incidentally the ultima has a slighter better dip light  than the granada, i now run my ultima on phillips vision plus bulbs , better than O.E. fitted
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Nov 15th, 2006, 11:21pm »

neil, have a look on ebay and try the japan murata blue bulbs, i paid 1.04 for a pair (4.33 including postage) and they work a treat, worth a look when you need some more.
the granada i believe uses H4 bulbs which give a more 'global' spread of light, less definitive than the H1....
IP Logged

big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 16th, 2006, 9:33am »

£1.04 for a pair of headlight bulbsHuhare you sure there any good talibanHuh
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Nov 16th, 2006, 12:20pm »

yeah, they work a treat. was told about them by someone on here, cant remember who, i won them for 1.04 because the only other bidder (cossie hehe) had only bid 99p on them and didnt check the bidding....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.