Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Interior mirrors and 6x scrap Scorps »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Interior mirrors and 6x scrap Scorps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Interior mirrors and 6x scrap Scorps  (Read 574 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Interior mirrors and 6x scrap Scorps
« on: Nov 18th, 2006, 2:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have now managed to get hold of a working interior mirror, £5 from a scrap yard. Mine was fitted with a stuck on type, fitted below the original bracket - so this had to be removed before I could fit the electronic version. Wary of cracking the screen, I used a bit of thin steel wire in a sawing motion to get it off, which caused the wire to stick several times - next time (if there is one) I might try a bit of oil on the wire to stop it sticking  Roll Eyes

For those wanting to test the dipping/dimming effect just cover the forward facing light sensor and the light falling on the rear facing one should cause the reflection to dim. It is a slow almos imperceptable change to dim, taking a second or two and only happens with the green LED lit.

I have yet to see how effective it is in use on the road.

Babbingtons at Leeds claimed to have five Scorps in but I could only find 3 one of which is as yet untouched (Ultima) apart from the mirror Smiley - The rest have plenty of good parts and several engines plus gearboxes between them.

There is a fourth (or sixth) one at another scrap yard not far away from Babbinton's  

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Butterfingers

2.3, 16V auto R Reg Ultima

View Profile

Re: Interior mirrors and 6x scrap Scorps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 6:51pm »

£5 is dirt cheap. Usually they go around £30 upwards. The one I have now is the best so far, I notice a difference when I turn ot off an on. It really does dim the lights behind me but then you just end up getting blinded in the wing mirrors!
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Re: Interior mirrors and 6x scrap Scorps
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 7:15pm »

on Nov 19th, 2006, 6:51pm, Butterfingers wrote:
£5 is dirt cheap. Usually they go around £30 upwards. The one I have now is the best so far, I notice a difference when I turn ot off an on. It really does dim the lights behind me but then you just end up getting blinded in the wing mirrors!

The one I picked up a few weeks ago from a scrap yard for £7, but it turned out to have a bubble in it which I had not noticed. Out of curiosity, I'm just wondering if the air bubble can be drawn out by putting the mirror in a vacuum, then quickly resealing the edges. It didn't seem to work when I tried it, but I was probably expecting a much more pronounced responce to light.

Today I managed to get hold of a full set of mud flaps and a spare CCModule. It is easy to swap, just to test if it was programmed to flash on lock/unlock as mine doesn't.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.