Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Replace sunroof - how hard is it? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Replace sunroof - how hard is it?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Replace sunroof - how hard is it?  (Read 673 times)
BrianT

What does Jeremy Clarkson know?

View Profile

Replace sunroof - how hard is it?
« on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 9:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is a bulge of rust under the rubber seal alomng the rear edge of my sunroof, right where the join is in the rubber. I might be able to rescue it by pulling off the rubber and putting rust eater on when I've wire brushed it, then siliconing the rubber back on, but if it's too far gone I'll need to find a sunroof in a scrapper. Anyone carried out a replacement? I've seen the guide on this site but how hard is it for a home job?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Replace sunroof - how hard is it?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:58am »

easy enough, only problem i had on one of them was with the runners.

once all the screws are out the only thing thats holds the two runners  in are two spring clips above the rear seat.
You cant get to them but the sunroof should just pull out then the new one push back in.

It felt there were still screws holding mine somewhere but it must have just been 10 years of stiffness Smiley

Took a big effort to pull it out though
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 1:27pm »

If you go for a replacement the one in the previous model Granada is a match if you can't locate one from a Scorp.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 4:12pm »

It is the exactly the same as the one on the earlier Granada, which I to replaced on the Granada when I first got it.  So either the Granada or Scorp could be used as a source for a replacement.

Not having any better information, I pulled out all the fixing screws, but even so it wasn't too bad a job. Just follow the instruction on the website.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Andy

Scorpio driver, Goth, and Gary Numan Fan

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 9:51pm »

I had a rusty bulge in my sunroof in the exact same spot. Thought I'd have to replace the glass (which I couldn't afford to do at the time), but my brother is a resourceful fellow!

What we did together was first carefully peel back the rubber seal to expose the metal frame surrounding the glass. then we removed as much of the loose rust as possible(taking care to catch it as it fell so as not to clog the runners or anything.

Rust converted the metal, which fortunately had not rusted to the point that its shape had gone. Then we cleared all traces of loose rust from inside the rubber seal.  

Then we carefully filled the rubber seal with silicone sealant (clear stuff), and carefully refitted the rubber seal using and arrangement of small g clamps and metal rulers. this was so that we could maintain the relatively square shape of the rubber seal so that it would not catch the roof every time it tilted up and down.

After the silicone sealant had set, we removed the clamps and the job was done. It's been ok ever since, and that was earlier this year.

On paper it looks like an awful lot of messing, and it probably is, but it got me out of a fix, adn it could work for you provided that the metal hasn't corroded too badly.
IP Logged
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:23pm »

The glass comes out without removing the runners,from inside 3 screws each side hold it to the runners.
IP Logged

Gary
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 7:06pm »

I did mine just a few weeks ago. And as others have already said, its not such a bad job. 2 people preferably, but I managed it on my own.

The thing is to take your time with it and make sure you remove all the screws (its easy to think you've got them all but miss a couple). Then it should come out pretty easily.

I'm sure you'll be fine  Cool
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.