Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 9:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Starting on 2.9 12v »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Starting on 2.9 12v
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Starting on 2.9 12v  (Read 716 times)
Spannerdemon

Email

Starting on 2.9 12v
« on: Nov 25th, 2006, 6:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My 2.9 12v has always started first time, immediately after turning the key, and without touching the accelerator.

However, the other night, went out, shock horror, and now it will only start if I press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor first. A bit like another car I had once where you had to do this to set the automatic choke.

Nothing has been touched, and I just wonder why this has suddenly happened. Car still starts fine, runs fine, and the only difference I can detect is that it sounds a little muffled to what it sounded like previously.  

CAT is in good shape, so pretty sure it's not that. Best description is that when it starts it sounds as though one plug may be suspect, but it runs fine firing on all cylinders without a problem. If I get time I might change the plugs & Leads, but as it runs fine, not sure this will make much difference. Dizzy is clean inside and out, and rotor fine. Had a look last night and no tracking that I can see.

Bit tight on time to look at it at the moment due to work, but any ideas welcome.

Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

Re: Starting on 2.9 12v
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 11:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hmm.. It shouldn't start at all with the throttle pushed all the way. So atleast your tps i dodgy  Wink
However I don't think that's the problem. Just a wild guess, but maybe the iacv is permantently closed?
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 8:15pm »

Thanks for this.

Yes, I think the Idle Control Valve is going to be high on my hit list. The car starts and runs, and for the time being, that will have to do because I am really mega mega busy with a new job, and it's taking a load of time!!

I've noticed that the ICV bracket is a metal to metal fit, and wonder if, in fact there should be a gasket there!!  Smiley
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:29pm »

Yes there should be a gasket  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:36pm »

Do you have to do the same if the engine is warm? or is it from cold? it may be coolant sensor fault?
IP Logged

Gary
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 10:08pm »

Dave, Thanks for that. I've just been out, unscrewed the ICV, and there was no gasket, so I've cut one from some 3mm gasket paper that I always keep. I have also noticed that the O ring that sits in a recess between the housing and the valve itself is so loose and thin, (and fell off right down into the F*****g engine tray meaning THAT had to come off as well  Angry  Angry ).......... that it's a complete waste of space, so I'll source a new one next week.
It has recovered a bit even with just the gasket, so I think I'm on the right track. I think with a properly fitting O ring, it should be OK.

Hellblue, thanks, but I'm pretty sure it's the ICV.

If it comes to it, I'll have to replace it.

Thanks  Wink
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 1:16pm »

Nice work  Smiley
IP Logged

Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 8:57am »

Yeah......I've had a bit of difficulty sourcing the exact O ring, so have gone completely over the top and bought a Multi Box containing 420 'O' rings........so if anybody else is stuck for an O ring !!!  Grin  Grin  Grin
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 3:02pm »

Grin
IP Logged

Zombie

Will dance for petrol...

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 7:25pm »

on Nov 25th, 2006, 9:36pm, hellblue wrote:
Do you have to do the same if the engine is warm? or is it from cold? it may be coolant sensor fault?

Mind if I nick this thread?

My hearse is also not liking the cold starts lately.  Not been too fussed because the Geabox has been a bigger worry.

I have already checked damp electrics and the ICV.  What is this coolant sensor thingmajig?  I will tap it with a hammer!  Smiley
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 7:56pm »

on Nov 27th, 2006, 8:57am, Spannerdemon wrote:
Yeah......I've had a bit of difficulty sourcing the exact O ring, so have gone completely over the top and bought a Multi Box containing 420 'O' rings........so if anybody else is stuck for an O ring !!!  Grin  Grin  Grin

Top man Wink

Reminds me of when I bought my 2.3, if I started it form cold and let it idle it would gradually start hunting and if left alone, stall. Tap the throttle or restart and it'd be fine, had it to Ford twice and they couldn't find anything wrong. Come to think of it, the fault vanished after I put the new wiring in last year, mabye a hose or gasket in my case tooHuh

Regards, Bruce Smiley.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 4th, 2006, 10:47am »

Finally got round to this last night, after work.

Removed the IACV, and replaced the 'O'ring from my box of many 'O' rings.  

Can you guess which one's missing......ROFL  ROFL  ROFL

[url=][/url]

Resealed the joint, squirt of WD40 on the spindle and screwed it together again. Took both intake hoses off, and cleaned the butterfly spindles with carb cleaner. Disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes and then reconnected. Re-coded radio, and went for a 3 mile run.

Engine now idling better than it ever has done, and all running sweetly again. Thanks for all help and suggestions.  Cheesy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.