Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 7:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« buying a scorpio cosworth with big miles??? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   buying a scorpio cosworth with big miles???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: buying a scorpio cosworth with big miles???  (Read 865 times)
general--lee

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

buying a scorpio cosworth with big miles???
« on: Dec 9th, 2006, 3:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi new guy here !!! ive been offered a 97 scorpio cosworth auto thats doen 160,000miles but its cheap and clean ? on trip cop its says it does 28mpg is this realistc? i want to tow a 1000kg caravan with it  and a little worried about the box being able to cope?
  thanks in advance for any help

ps use to have v6 omegas but fancy a change does the scorpio have a limited slip diff?  
   thanks again
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: buying a scorpio cosworth with big miles???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 4:17pm »

Hello mate, welcome aboard Wink

Others on here will know more than me about the 24v lump but I've seen a few. The main problem with Scorpios in general is the autobox, normally at around 100,000 miles they tend to die, will cost between £600-£1800 depending on where/how you get it done. My own way of judging the condition of the autobox is to check the colour/smell of the fluid as it says on the main site, fluid which has gone a brown colour or has any burnt bits sticking to the dipstick means the autobox is on its last legs, also a good cold start followed by hard acceleration will tend to show up faults in the box. If it takes a while to select gear or thumps in and out of gear then don't go there unless you're planning on putting a new 'box in. It also may be worth getting the car scanned if you know anybody with the gear, will show up any fault codes saving you a lot of grief later on.  

May also be worth checking whether the electric gizmos work ok, could save you a lot of grief later on. I'm pretty sure the Cosworth came with an LSD.

I'm not sure about the cossie but I could never get 28mpg out of my 2.3 even though the computer always errs on the top 20's, the Scorpios I have seen are all quite thirsty but what price a little bit of luxury? Wink

Good luck.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 4:32pm »

hi there

no lsd on any scorpio, but was an option in some markets. you get traction control instead.

28mpg.... might just get that if drive at 60mph with cruise on! Wink no chance towing a caravan!

don't let the mileage put you off IF it's been looked after. no noises from the engine's timing gear, etc.  

re the 'box. check it as per the main website. mines is still fine at 132k miles.

hth
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 11:32pm »

on Dec 9th, 2006, 4:32pm, scorpio_man wrote:
no lsd on any scorpio, but was an option in some markets. you get traction control instead.

Sorry about that, I assumed it was standard on the cossie Wink

If the box is still ok then a change of fluid/filters will help it remain so.  

Good luck.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
twinturbo

24V's Me game!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 11:32pm »

My 24V has 153K and is fine appart from what I suspect is an Ignition missfire...

200K should be easy even with a bit of servicing missuse.,..

Not economical, but a heavy trailer wont affect it much..  

If it's cheep then GIVE IT A GO!!!

TT
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 8:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't put too much store on mileage. A well looked after car, regularly serviced, will be as good a buy as any other. Regular Oil changes are the most important thing, and by that I mean ALL oils, be it engine, gearbox, or whatever.

I always check the engine oil first when I go to buy a car. It's a long habit from when I used to work on Perkins engines for a living. Dirty oil, and I walk away. I don't even want to see the rest of the car. ALWAYS test drive a car too, and by that I don't just mean "round the block". Give it at least a 30 mile run (offer to pay for the fuel), then you'll see any horrors that may be lurking!!  Shocked

My last car (a Volvo 940 GLE Turbo), had over 220,000 miles on it when I let it go. There was not a speck of rust on it, and the engine & transmission was as smooth as when it had left the factory. It passed every MOT without problems, and was a real joy to own.  Cheesy

I still believe that a car gives you back what you put into it. Look after it, never cane it, and it will give you good service.  Grin

IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 9:40am »

Miles don't mean too much really.
What is important is if the car has been looked after.

With a 24V that means the oil must have been changed regular, to the service spec at the very least.
IP Logged

Dave
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 11:15am »

They do pop up with big mileages, there was one on eBay with over 300k a while ago and around the 200k mark is not uncommon.

As posted, servicing is everything  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 1:48pm »

pop off the top cossie plastic cover and have a look at the wiring, check that the black plastic covers look in good nick, the cossie tends to destroy the engine loom due to the heat it produces and if it's moved the insulation comes off and you get some strange and hard to diagnose problems.

28mpg, sounds like a fantasy to me, i live in bham and have to comute through it twice a day, i average 18mpg and arround 24mpg on a steady motorway run.

what variant is it? ultima form is the top model but if the wiring looms have seen better days it can be the most trouble sum as everything is electric in them...
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 3:58pm »

I average 25 with mine, on a motorway run a I can get 33-35 but it is very difficult not to put your foot down  and spoil it Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.