Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Limited or not? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Limited or not?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Limited or not?  (Read 1245 times)
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Limited or not?
« on: Dec 14th, 2006, 9:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As some of you might have seen myself and Tiberius have been having a discussion(Most of it a bit over my head/knowledge) about whether the Cossie is limited to 5400-5500 rpm in 4th(O/D) (approx 140 mph on the road). His understanding of engine dynamics outweighs mine(By miles Embarassed)And his answers make sense.
Does anyone know the diffinitive answer?
It's not majorly important if it is or not but just something else to add to the memory banks/bar room bragging rights ROFL

PS. Are we both right in that the engine is limited but only to protect the engine because by 5500 rpm theres no torque increase left so it was limited to protect the engine(Why let the revs rise further when they'll be no gain in speed).
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Limited or not?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 9:32pm »

Don't know a difnitive answer for sure, but the way I understood it, it is the speed which is limited rather than revs.

Apparently, the speed can be overriden by setting the cruise control and then using the +button to creep past the limit.
You really would be creeping though I imagine.

Like I said, I don't know if this info is accurate, its only hearsay. Never tried it myself - never been that fast.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 9:35pm »

id say it's possible it's limited, the cossie engine is powerfull and in sports mode wont change up till it's hit the 6000rpm mark. It's possible though that the auto box may be the week link, its heavier, and unlike a manual, it's got a lot more parts to move and not to mention the spinning drum of oil in it. the box isnt week by any means, ive had the car flat out on the motorway in the very early hours of a sunday morning, and it's fast, 140mph fast. It would be intresting to see an autos dyno results compaired to a car thats had a manual box put in

if you look at to days big lux saloons,(mercs, bmw's etc...) they are all capible of getting to or topping the 200mph barrier. howerver because of some anti fun loving car hating loons they are all restricted to 155mph... shame
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 9:42pm »

on Dec 14th, 2006, 9:32pm, Paul B wrote:
Don't know a difnitive answer for sure, but the way I understood it, it is the speed which is limited rather than revs.

Not sure thats true after today on the rolling road. My cossie hit 148 mph on the rollers(Rollers speed not a speedo reading) As there's no drag as car is stationery then the speed can't be limited to 140 mph.
Guy.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 9:56pm »

is it posible that the rolling road could have been a bit out ?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 11:34pm »

If the rolling road was accurate, which really you would expect.. then the speedo should have been reading around the 160+ mark
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 11:35pm »

lol, here we go again Wink

My £0.02 for what it's worth is that the car isn't limited speed wise. There's a limiter to stop it constantly revving into the red and a limiter to stop it revving over 4000rpm in park and cooking the autobox but no limiter to cap the top speed. Manufacturers only seem to limit their cars once they can reach over 155mph as Matt says, anything under this is unlimited it seems...

On the Autocar test the top speed was listed as 135(as I remember), they said it was below Ford's data. On the rolling road you take away drag etc so it's higher than you could reach on the road, the engine is running out of puff at 5krpm plus, you could get nearly 160 out of it if it could run upto the redline but as the torque is tailing off in the mid 5k band, 130'ish from a 200bhp engine is good going. when you get to top speeds it depends heavily on the amount of weight you're carrying, even down to fuel, rolling/mechanical resistance and wind will alter it too. Throw in a slight incline and you can kiss the top speed goodbye.

Then you get back to either having good midrange power or blistering highs at the top of the range, no good increasing peak bhp@6000rpm if you don't get anything below. Shoot for mods which give more power in the rev range you use in normal driving, low and mid...

Tired and confused now Cheesy

Regards, Bruce Wink.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 9:47am »

I have never come across a limit speed wise.

I have had a 24V MK3 flat out showing 170mph on the clocks & a 24V BOB hitting 6000rpm in 4th which is off the clock Grin

The cars are over geared that's why a STD car won't hit the rev limit in top.
IP Logged

Dave
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.