Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Wheel arches »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Wheel arches
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Wheel arches  (Read 675 times)
davidberryman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Rear Wheel arches
« on: Dec 18th, 2006, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,   Have '98 2.3 with rot in rear arches, i know from this excellent site that s not uncommon, did i read that chrome arches are available?
Anybody know where from and if they're a good idea?
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Rear Wheel arches
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 7:54pm »

Chrome arches will make it rust quicker IMO, you're just putting off the inevitable Smiley. Mine are bubbling too, happens to a lot of our beloved cars...

If you want them I believe the ones from the Mk3 Granny should fit with a slight adjustment. eBay is always a good place to look Wink

Regards, Bruce.

IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 8:30pm »

as tiberius said, you'll only be covering up. depending on how far gone they are, the money would be better going towards having the arches fixed, then underseal them....
IP Logged

LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 11:25am »

Is it me, or do the later scorps (post facelift esp) seem to be far worse for rusting. My old 95 estate had one minor spot on the tailgate yet I've seen many facelifts being sold with rusty or about to rust rear arches.
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 5:23pm »

The two places my June '96 saloon has gone are the arches where they meet the rear bumper and the bottoms of the doors, if you run a chamois along the bottom door edges after it's been raining, you'll see how much water the rubber valet strips harbour. I did the door bottoms (and the rubbing edges) earlier this year, still fine as yet but I do keep it under a cover now and rarely use it in the wet...

If I hang onto it (if I'm allowed to, nearly got neutered for buying the Jag Grin) I'll tackle the arches in the spring while there's still some metal left to bond onto, don't want the old car starting to look like a hotch potch of paint jobs though, between the devil and the deep blue sea (so to speak Wink) on that one.

Regards, Bruce Wink.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
davidberryman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 7:09pm »

thanks for advise, i'll keep a look out for repair panels, as you say if left to long cannot get a decent fix.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 1:51am »

Facelift ones do seem to be prone to rust on the arches and even the sills. I got a pair of Ford arches off ebay last year for a few quid..... just in case my rust comes back again!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.