Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 6:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Running a TD on Sunflower Oil »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Running a TD on Sunflower Oil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Running a TD on Sunflower Oil  (Read 1844 times)
Leeky

If i cant fix it, its going in the bin!

View Profile

Running a TD on Sunflower Oil
« on: Dec 30th, 2006, 11:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone tried this?

Been considering doing this but wanted to see if there was a reason why the scorpio wouldnt like it.

I know the more modern common rail diesel engines dont like sunflower oil as its too thick but seeing as the scorpio td engine is just a transit engine (and its been around a while) i wouldnt think it would mind it.

Anyone?

Smiley
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

Re: Running a TD on Sunflower Oil
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 12:03am »

Been running mine on the stuff for years... shall i begin the lecture?  Grin

If your seriously thinking of doing it let me know and i'll let you know what to do.

Matt

p.s. as far as i know the transit had its own 2.5 derv lump...
IP Logged
youmitegetian

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 6:00pm »

Hi guys, apparently the scorpio uses the engine from a range rover and jeep not the transit, not that it matters really.  
Any information you can give on running the car on sunflower oil would be appreciated, hadn't really thought about it but sounds like a cheaper option than diesel.  
Also while we're on the subject, what mpg should i expect from my scorpio, i think i'm only getting around 30 mpg which doesn't sound good for a derv really
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 7:28pm »

Yeah, the VM lump the scorp uses was also in the voyage, rover 800, and the frontera. What does matter is the make of the injector/fuel pump...

30 mpg can be good or bad depending how/where your driving. Around town mine gets about 32ish mpg so long as i'm careful, on the motorway at 60-65mpg i get roughly 42-45mpg. usually after a week of the 2 i end up with roughly 38-41 mpg. Bearing in mind i've turned the fueling up and its done well over 230K miles!

I use a mixture of sunflower/vegetable oil along with petrol (to act as a thinner). Most people usually gasp when i saw that followed by "petrol?? in a diesel??"

Due to it being cold i'm currently using 12% petrol to 88% sun/veg oil i've found works best.

Have a look at the links below below:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=OT;action=displa y;num=1164708603;start=10#10

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1145425109;start=

Remember to pay the tax on what you use of course  Wink although apparently it will soon be that if you produce less than 2500L of biodiesel you wont have to pay tax...

Matt
IP Logged
Leeky

If i cant fix it, its going in the bin!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 10:48pm »

Great info there  Grin

I found that there is a bio diesel supplier very very local to me. Will find out what the prices are like as it saves me having to declaire all the duty etc if its already been done by the supplier.

Cheers for that  Wink
IP Logged
youmitegetian

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 12:23pm »

Yeah thats what worries me, i only got 30 mpg on a 250 mile mostly motorway journey.  
Re biofuel, a friend uses it in his landrover but buys it from a local supplier at around 80 pence a litre
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 7:05pm »

here's my advice on running the scorp on veggie (most gained from mazzy);

go to your local tesco/sainsburys etc thats open 24 hour at around 1am (it helps if you do shiftwork), find a dark corner to park in, do your weekly shop including copious amounts of sunflower oil. while one hand is loading the shopping into the boot, the other can be emptying oil into fuel filler.
or,
if you live in a culturally diverse area, you could try a local indian shop and see how much they sell the 20ltr drums for and perhaps do a deal.
i must stress that obviously i would never do this and deprive golden gordon of fuel duty revenue, but it was just an idea that sprung too mind.
as stated, in colder weather it does put a strain on the diesel pump (even though the scorp already has an inline fuel heater) as the viscosity is higher than diesel, so a 'medium' would be adviseable; petrol, or i spose most things alcohol based.

i havent checked the mpg on mine for a while, but with diesel i was getting 23-26 around town and 35-45 on a run. however, my injectors are a bit old and probably a bit 'dribbly', i do have some new ones waiting to go in.
IP Logged

Zombie

Will dance for petrol...

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:33pm »

My local Tesco Extra is selling loads of 25ltr drums of corn oil. It must be in response to diesel owners.

Wish I had a diesel. ..... Wish I had a car that ran at the moment!
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:57pm »

wheres your tesco zombie?
IP Logged

youmitegetian

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:59pm »

So your saying the  oil would need thinning before using but what if i ran some diesel at the same time?? maybe 20 litres of oil to 10 diesel?? wouldn't it seperate if it was left for any amount of time??
IP Logged
Zombie

Will dance for petrol...

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 8:41pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:57pm, taliban wrote:
wheres your tesco zombie?

Northampton, Weston Favell
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 9:03pm »

b****r, im in s.e. london
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:16pm »

on Dec 31st, 2006, 7:28pm, mazzy_j wrote:
Remember to pay the tax on what you use of course  Wink although apparently it will soon be that if you produce less than 2500L of biodiesel you wont have to pay tax...

Matt

Of course Matt, I know you'd never do such a thing like 'forget' to pay the tax on it mate Wink

Tali, last time I was in London I remember seeing the big drums of oil in the Tescos at Gallions Reach, you may also have luck with a cash and carry (quite a few of those around there Wink)
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 8:06pm »

Quote:
Of course Matt, I know you'd never do such a thing like 'forget' to pay the tax on it mate

yeah, one of the problems with having a memory like a colender is i forget things  Grin

The scorpio will run on 100% cooking oil so long as the temp is warm along with the engine, the colder it gets the thicker it is due to it having no additives to stop it from freezing (thats where the petrol comes in). I did try with 100% once but it didn't drive nicely at all, if you fitted an extra fuel heater that should get round the problem because by heating it you thin it out to the nearer the viscosity of diesel. i've fitted an additional water heated fuel heater, but as of yet i havnt plumbed it into the fuel line as it runs perfectly fine as it is.

I used to mix diesel in with it when i first tried it in the car to make sure it worked ok, i'd say first try maybe 20L of oil to 20L diesel to make sure it runs fine, then gradually increase the amount of oil you add until your happy with the way it drives. I found that (in the summer) with a third diesel added it ran nicely, just remember you may lose a bit of power due to the way cooking oil burns, so if you're the right foot happy type then i'd say keep the ratio of diesel higher so there's less strain put on the pump. Normal driving i cant tell the difference.

Hope this is of some help,

Matt

IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 8:14pm »

on Jan 4th, 2007, 8:06pm, mazzy_j wrote:
yeah, one of the problems with having a memory like a colender is i forget things  Grin

hahahaha...top man Grin Wink

This forum is great, it's like a tonic Cheesy
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 9:43pm »

i recently ran mine on pure sunlower oil, it ran very smoothly, no noticeable loss of power etc, only 2 things i noticed; the tickover wasof  a couple of hundred revs higher and we're when it was zero degrees, it only fired on 3 cylinders when starting the other kicked in a few seconds later. as the scorp has an inline fuel heater anyway, it might be better to fit a fuel tank heater if using 100% veggie oi....
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 10:57pm »

Is there a certain spec the cooking oil needs to be for using in a car? or will any "cooking oil" do?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jan 6th, 2007, 3:54pm »

I've mixed varying quantities of veg oil with diesel (from nearly 100% to 10%) and the Scorp doesn't seem to care one bit, though when I put the 100% in the engine was already hot and there is a very definite (but not unpleasant) smell from the exhaust once you start upping the ratio beyond about 20% veg/80% diesel.

Power output didn't seem any different, nor did smoothness, however switching back to diesel after running on mostly oil did make the engine very quiet for a few miles!

Cold starts don't seem to be affected with those ratios but don't forget that the electric fuel heater won't instantly heat up and it'll do nothing at all for the cold diesel/oil already in the pump or pipework after the heater!  You could either have a two-tank system and switch to pure diesel for starting and about 5 minutes before stopping, or use something which relies on engine coolant to heat the fuel and pump, and then fit a Kenlowe hotstart thing - this'll also benefit the engine by never having to start from cold....

Darren
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jan 6th, 2007, 8:07pm »

'Is there a certain spec the cooking oil needs to be for using in a car? or will any "cooking oil" do? '

yes, it needs to be clean. if using old oil, it will need to be filtered, filter bags for this are on ebay. the muck collected in the filter bag can then be spread across the lens of your nearest speed camera  Grin
at this time of year i would suggest a mixture to thin the oil, or an in tank fuel heater....
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 12:25am »

Tried it in the TD5 over the weekend, 50:50 diesel and vegetable oil, did over 400 miles and going great, seems a bit nippier too Smiley

Thats the maximum recommended for the TD5 as it has the Lucas fuel injection pump which has very small oilways for lubrication and can seize up if a thicker mixture is used.

From what I can gather the Scorpio diesel should be able to run fine on 100% vegetable oil as long as it doesnt get too cold outside or has an oil/pump heating kit fitted
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.