Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Autobox slipping »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Autobox slipping
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Autobox slipping  (Read 490 times)
camaro

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Autobox slipping
« on: Jan 8th, 2007, 10:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My gearbox seems to lose drive for about 2 seconds when changing between first and second gear. The revs rise an extra 250 to 500 rpm but no acceleration for about 2 seconds. Sometimes this condition happens with a slight rumble from the rear of the car. Any idea guys? It a 95 cossie which i have not had long. My father has got the 2.3 ultima with a manual which i would rather (the manual transmission). I have heard that the auto trannys are not very reliable?
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Autobox slipping
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 6:09pm »

Auto trannies are reliable enough while they're working but seem to have a shorter life than a lot of others. Get it scanned first of all, there may be a fault code pointing to a solenoid or something....fairly easy fix.

Not sure about the rumble, sounds like diff or propshaft bearing?

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Zombie

Will dance for petrol...

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 11:24pm »

Don't get too depressed about this sort of thing unless you have had it confirmed that the box is jiggered.

I have had a hellish time with mine, but it turned out to be low tranny fluid levels on both occasions.  The first before I took the car to get the box serviced and the second time when it got cold and I discovered that my local Northampon Ford dealers had not put enough fluid back in after said service.

I think the only drawerback with auto trannys is the lack of garages that know how to deal with them.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 7:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just to expand Zombie's post, which is good advice. Have you checked the fluid?  Shocked  

You need to do this with the engine running, and the box warmed up.

Many people make the mistake of trying to check the level when the box is cold.

It can't be done that way.  Wink
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 1:10pm »

That is true, the old C3 autobox on our Capri survived being emptied twice on a busy roundabout Shocked

Bodged plastic fluid hoses on that one, predictable results as the fluid got HOT like it did in the Capri...if the box got that hot on the 150nm torque form the old Pinto lump, God only knows what would fate it would have suffered if I'd got around to the dual Weber carb conversion and freeflow exhaust...

It seems a lot of people have trouble with the boxes but partly because they're not listed in the dealer service schedule so the fluid never gets changed...auto fluid like engine oil loses its guts over time and the box innards proceed to grind each other to death Wink. Get the fluid changed as a form of insurance, new fluid, clean the sump/filters and magnet and refill...could make a world of difference and cheaper than a new autobox at the outset.

Regards, Bruce Smiley.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.