Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:14am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Battery Voltage for Diesel »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Battery Voltage for Diesel
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Battery Voltage for Diesel  (Read 839 times)
Lord_Bubu

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Battery Voltage for Diesel
« on: Jan 8th, 2007, 10:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What is the minimum Voltage required in the Diesel?

Had no problems until now, bur since 2 days the needles flicker around, when I start the car, indicating a worn battery.
When I use the self test during driving, the displaya shows 13.6, but when I do this right after starting it mostly shows 11.6 (strangely sometimes the needle dont flicker round, even it the car wasnt used for hours)
Does that indicate I need a new battery?

Another thing i recognized, that the speed "self test" always shows about 10% less(!) in the display than the tacho needle. Doesn't sound like that is ok...
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

Re: Battery Voltage for Diesel
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 10:12am »

hi i had the same problem when i got mine and the battery was duff also make sure the battery is the right size for the car this can also give you problems if it is to small. what happened with your gearbox problem
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 10:25am »

The speedo reading will always be less than your actual speed, Ford designed it that way so you cant blame them for speeding Smiley
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 10:48am »

the battery ideally needs to be above 12v for starting, on tickover with no lights on etc the voltage range should be around 13.6 to 14.3.
as stated the battery HAS to be the right size, i.e. the correct AH and CCA. on the diesel it needs to be a minimum of 71AH and Cold Cranking Amps of 640 +
i've got the same problem at the mo in my TD, but the battery is only 60AH, probably fine for petrol, but struggles in the diesel.
i've just ordered a battery from ebay; 72AH 700CCA, sealed type with 4 year garuantee, 54.98 including postage, which is quite cheap, cant say what its like as its due to arrive any day.
the battery number for the diesel is 096 for round terminal or 097 for flat terminal.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 5:47pm »

on Jan 9th, 2007, 10:25am, Highlander wrote:
The speedo reading will always be less than your actual speed, Ford designed it that way so you cant blame them for speeding Smiley

Higher mate, higher...

Make it read less and you could really speed Roll Eyes

A good way to test the condition of the battery is to try and start with the headlamps switched on...if they dim right down and it struggles to crank then the battery capacity is low. Just over 12v is the norm with the ignition off, rising to about 14 when running. If the voltage goes up once you're moving I wouldn't worry too much Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 1:47am »

well my new battery arrived the other day, so far so good, no probs......
IP Logged

ghia-x

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 10:08pm »

Hi all.  
Checking the battery, check leads/conectors are all tight. If it is the servicable type battery remove the caps and look in check all levels are hi, {if not top up with distilled water} Also check the plates are not BLACK. BLACK =  plate damaged battery US.  Sellect 1st gear {manual gearbox} with hand and foot brake on, turn the ign key & hold on, have some one look into the batt, with torch, if ANY cells bubble = knacked battery. Sad

Checking ALT {quick test, on tickover put lights on tack revs up to 2-2.5k lights sould get brighter. Smiley}.

ENGINE SWITCHED OFF check conections/belts etc.

ALT test, with engine running alt should be putting out 12.5 -13.0 volts @ tickover raise the revs to 2k & check readings. upto max 14.70 volts. Any more alt overcharging.

Carry out ALT check again with all ancillaries on, heated windows, fan, aircon, lights etc. {not hazards/indicators} as it will give an irratic reading.
Around 13.60 volts ideal. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Hope this helps
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.