Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Diagnostics for interior bits! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Diagnostics for interior bits!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Diagnostics for interior bits!  (Read 616 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Diagnostics for interior bits!
« on: Jan 9th, 2007, 8:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have now had a little time to have a good look at this built in diagnostic for the interior items, working off the Central Timer Module. This is the unit which turns on and off interior lights, heated screens - triggered by the door switches etc.. - there may be other items using the CTM still to be discovered. It also works the heated screens.

You just press the rear screen heater button and hold it in, plus turn the ignition on. This should produce a series of four bleeps from the CTM, then silence if everything is OK - doors all shut and light switches, including road light swtch all set to off and the glove box properly closed [1].

A continuous tone is produced if you open the glovebox, a door, or turn any interior light on by the local switches, or press the heated screen switches.

So a useful test to see if there might be a problem with door switches and an easy way to make sure your glovebox light is going off  Grin

[1] Mine was producing a contuous tone when I first tried this diagnostic mode - due to the glovebox switch failing to switch the light off, no wonder the lamps were not lasting long and why I have noticed the battery a little low.  
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Diagnostics for interior bits!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 9:57pm »

Well done Harry, should be useful to people with faults in the timed circuits. I think I may have stumbled accross it a while back when I had the dash out, I remember getting a bleep once while putting the CC module back in...

While we're on the subject of door switches, I'm confused whether there's 1 or 2 switches per door...I thought mabye the push switch on the door post for the lights etc and a microswitch inside the lock for the alarm?

When I had alarm trouble a while back the door post switches seemed ok so I cleaned the locks thinking mabye there were microswitches in there and it's been fine since, any switches in the locks?

Regards, Bruce Smiley,
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 10:02pm »

useful to know...I had problem with battery flattening and turned out to be glove compartment switch not closing

another easy check is to open the compartment when car is cold ie it has been standing overnight and touch bulb ...if you burn finger means switch isnt closing!

I just put a section of sleeving over plunger so protruded a bit further out......really a common issue I think and worth testing just be careful when touching glass though!
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 10:46pm »

There are obviously (at least) two switches per door. One you can see by the hinge which operates the interior lights via the TCM. Pushing this does not affect the door open warning in the instrument cluster, so there must be a second switch in the lock.  

I suspect this second one is wired to the CCM via the multi-plex unit inside the door and is used for both the alarm and door open display.  

On the point about checking if the glove box lamp is warm, I did check it and it was cold when I checked it or so it seemed - which was why I assumed it was switching off - WRONG!
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 9th, 2007, 10:56pm »

on Jan 9th, 2007, 10:46pm, harry.m1byt wrote:
There are obviously (at least) two switches per door. One you can see by the hinge which operates the interior lights via the TCM. Pushing this does not affect the door open warning in the instrument cluster, so there must be a second switch in the lock.  

I suspect this second one is wired to the CCM via the multi-plex unit inside the door and is used for both the alarm and door open display.

That was exactly my question Harry, thanks for that. Explains why my cleaning the 'sticky' door locks cured the alarm problem.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 7:03pm »

My interior lights and puddle lights won't work atall even if you switch them to permanently on all started when i got the battery changed.Diagnostic wont function because the rear heated screen packed in at the same time. Does this mean my timer module is kaput?
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 7:10pm »

I would check the fuse first, number 24 in the central fusebox. Also check numbers 16 and 17. Is anything else affected?
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 8:09pm »

All fuses are ok but the hazard lights and the glow plugs aren't working either. Fuse boxes have been cleaned and rebuilt very recently. Glow plugs may be to do with the injector pump relay that packed in last weekend so at the moment its off the road. Not good as its my only car
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.