Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Xenon Headlight  Kit  Conversion Problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Xenon Headlight  Kit  Conversion Problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Xenon Headlight  Kit  Conversion Problem  (Read 470 times)
Malcolm73

View Profile

Xenon Headlight  Kit  Conversion Problem
« on: Jan 14th, 2007, 8:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Prior to starting this conversion, my normal halogen car lights all worked correctly.

I am in the process of fitting a xenon dipped beam headlight conversion kit using the supplied relay harness which is intended to pick up a 12V dipped beam electrical supply signal to actuate and close the relay.

I have now fitted the nearside system only.

On switching from off to side lights with the driver's light switch the relay should close going from 0V to 12V, obviously remaing closed when main beam bulbs are added with the dip/main dontrol.  The switched relay contacts are connected from battery positive via a fuse and on closing 12V is available through the wiring harness to supply both near and offside electronic ballasts which provide the required 23,000 volts to power the high intensity discharge xenon  H1 bulbs.

At this stage I have only connected the nearside ballast.  On switching to side lights which work correctly the xenon dipped bulb is also unfortunately illuminated.

In fact in all switched light positions I now have a xenon near side dipped beam, including the sidelight only position.

I assumed that to work the relay a connection to the old dipped beam purple/brown? spade connection wire originally connected to the halogen H1 dipped beam bulb centre pin would power my relay correctly but on connecting a voltmeter I find that I have 12V on the H1 bulb spade connection on sidelight and dipped beam switch positions.

Can anyone suggest as to why I now have 12V on the dipped beam purple/brown? wire in the side light switch position.  All is O.K. on dipped/main.  The original offside halogen lights are still working normally.

If possible I do not wish to backtrack to the old halogen bulb as the new near side heavily insulated plastic based xenon H1 bulb is a pig to fit.

The relay actuating current between purple/brown? headlamp wire and earth is 0.16 amps

Any thoughts on my strange electrical problem would be appreciated.   Should there be any 12V on the purple/brown? N.S. dipped beeam wire on the sidelight only position?
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Re: Xenon Headlight  Kit  Conversion Problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2007, 11:08pm »

Could this be something to do with the dim/dip system?

With engine running and in the side lights position of the switch, the dipped lights are switched onto the dim lighting - the dipped filaments are lit, but quite dimmly. I think the two filaments (L+R) are connected in series to provide this low level of lighting.  

I think the dim/dip was a UK only facility and would therefore guess that it can be easily disabled - anyone know if their is a dim/dip relay in the Scorp?
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 9:22am »

yes some models have 'dim dip' , only one of my 3 has, you should be able to alter wiring so that your relay is only triggered on dip.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 5:06pm »

Thank you Martin and Harry for your replies.

I must admit that I had never heard of dim-dip but was aware that if driving with side lights I had quite good illumination which dimmed when when the ignition key was removed.  Logically my 24v Ultima does have dim-dip

This morning I called at my favourite local garage, Stourbridge M.O.T. Centre and they immediately suggested dim-dip.  The garage provided me with an Autodata printout of the offside fuse box and suggested removing F18, the headlamp dim-dip fuse.

I will let you know what happens.

73's    Malcolm.
IP Logged
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16th, 2007, 10:14am »

To Martin and Harry

Just to let you know that I removed the 10 Amp dim-dip fuse F18 and I have completed the Xenon high intensity bulb conversion.

Including carriage the high quality kit, purchased on ebay cost £98.  The car is now booked in for M.O.T. to make sure the beams are set correctly.

Thanks for your assistance.

73's     Malcolm
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16th, 2007, 12:43pm »

Let us know how the MOT goes and your opinion on the Xenon's. Was that £98 for the pair?
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 10:33pm »

Hi Harry,

Before the M.O.T. I took my car in to have the dipped beams checked.  Both were already within M.O.T. pass.  The xenon light was so intense that I requested that both dipped beams be lowered and reset to the lowest M.O.T. pass line.

The project was worthwhile and I am very pleased with the end result.  I made a mistake on the cost which was £99.98 including carriage, two ballasts, two xenon H1 bulbs, all wiring, fixings, wiring harness and relay, even two spare fuses.  I chose 6000K bulbs which give an intense white light.  Have a look on ebay, 2700 6496 6757.  The wiring harness is not essential but makes fitting much easier.  Finding space (24v) for the two ballasts is tricky.  I mounted them on home made steel brackets fitted beneath the plastic covers, each side at the front of the radiator.  For identification, the near side cover also houses the air intake.

To accept the large rubber grommet you will need to cut a 25mm diameter hole in each headlight bulb cover, also be prepared for work in the confined space behind the headlights.  The air cleaner will need to be removed but this is also a convenient time to clean the MAF sensor.

If I can be of further assistance, please ask

M.O.T. Thanks for asking.   Next test February 2008.

73's       Malcolm
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 11:58pm »

Thanks for that Malcolm, and sounds like a good price. Are you thinking of doing the mains too, or is it well matched with just the dips done?
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2007, 11:01pm »

Hi Harry,

These are early days!

To avoid imposing glare on other road users, and against the advice of the M.O.T. tester I had my dipped beams set at the lowest angle compatible with an M.O.T. pass.

My dipped beam illumination of the road area is now much shorter and being very bright, the road in the distance is black.  I am blinded by my own foreground and will be asking the garage to raise the beams.

My main bulbs, a few months old, are the brighter halogen H1's with blue glass.  In comparison to the xenon bulbs they are dim and yellow, say 4000 Kelvin, compared with the xenon's 6000K white light.

When I select  main beam with all four H1's the road in the distance is the old dim halogen colour.

In retrospect I would fit all four xenons.

When I purchased my kit  four bulb kits were available and I believe the price was less than £150 + carriage.

Being pleased with the kit, the price, and five day delivery from Canada I attempted to leave positive feedback for the seller but was unable to do so.  I received the following message.

"Feedback can not be left because this member is no longer a registered user"  

73's Malcolm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.