Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Ultima Cossie »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Ultima Cossie
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ultima Cossie  (Read 649 times)
Mr_Smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Ultima Cossie
« on: Jan 24th, 2007, 4:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Afternoon all. I'm new here, so forgive me if this is a FAQ.
I'm about to buy a 1995 2.9 24V Ultima. It looks pretty mint with a good history.
But, I've been told these engines suffer with head gasket problems. Is this true? I know any car's h/g can go but is it particularly common with one of these?
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

Re: Ultima Cossie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 4:42pm »

Smiley hi the 2.3 is more prone to head problems but the 2.9 has many issues, if you go to the buyers guide that will help you alot. I would advice having the car checked out by your own mechanic or someone like the AA it could save you a lot of money in the long run. if the seller does not want the car checked it probably has issues with it that the seller will not tell you about. Roll Eyes oh and I hope it all goes well Smiley David
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 4:42pm »

hi there

best to have a read of our buyers guide.

hg can go on any car, but are a bit more common on 2.0 & 2.3.

hth
IP Logged
Mr_Smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 4:53pm »

Thanks folks.
It's actually a part ex where I work, so we've already given it the once over. It's pretty d**n cheap, so I think I will have a go. I'm one of those "strange" people that actually liked the looks when it 1st came out.
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 4:57pm »

Cheesy go for it. the_ its not for will is it  Grin
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 5:11pm »

on Jan 24th, 2007, 4:53pm, Mr_Smith wrote:
I'm one of those "strange" people that actually liked the looks when it 1st came out.

Alas! Hide your head in shame!

I like the shape too, liked it back in 1994 when they were first sold. It's aged better than the Probe or the Ka, even if you don't like the front/rear end styling, you've gotta admit there's something pleasing about the overall proportions of the car, the overhangs and wheelbase...

A well appointed Ultima on 12 spoke alloys is still a very smart looking car, more than once I had people stop me and ask me what make it was Wink

So, what colour is it then and what model? And what's the price...come on, don't keep us in suspense Smiley

Good luck with it Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Mr_Smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 5:19pm »

Well not being up on the specs yet, I can only describe it as a burgundy sort of colour, it's an Ultima saloon (cossie one). As for the price, that's still under negotiation but approx £500. Grin
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 5:27pm »

Have a read of THIS page and check out the 'thumbnail' in the VIN Plates page. The other links will tell you more. Wink  The precise detail of build date, model etc is sometimes a great help when trying to help with queries etc.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 5:41pm »

thats the beauty of the Scorpio though
24v Ultima for £500  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 6:14pm »

on Jan 24th, 2007, 5:19pm, Mr_Smith wrote:
As for the price, that's still under negotiation but approx £500. Grin

Well, it's been negotiated then...it's mine Grin

For £500 honestly, you can't exactly go wrong Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 6:24pm »

For £500 honestly, you can't exactly go wrong

hmmmm....be aware that they do have issues and can cost a bit to keep on the road. i picked up mine for £1200 a year ago, its cost about the same to get it right, and im still going.....

it is a lot of car for your money, so dont be put off, but dont expect to run it without problems/costs.

if its in a garage, you should be able to get it scanned first, see what error codes come up. "knowledgable people" here can offer advice on them. also, check the gearbox carefully as per site instructions, and give it a long run.

what mileage has it got on it? i think quite a few things start going wrong @90-100k

im not trying to put you off, but i wished i had found this site before i bought, as someone would have told me all this, and i would have been better prepared  Grin
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 6:44pm »

No, that is true Tintin, was just fooling around...£500 is so little for so much car, must be worth that in parts alone if it didn't work out.

When I bought my 2.3 in 2004 I paid £1800 with no tax or MOT, spent that again just getting it through the MOT and getting the autobox working, apart from all the small things. Although people who maintain their cars get good mileage, 100k seems to be the point where the autobox and other parts gives up if it hasn't been nursed, my main worry if buying another Scorpio regardless of engine or model would be the state of the autobox. Also (of course) check the records are genuine, check for rust and get a decent mechanic to look it over if you're not into mechanics yourself...could save a lot of headaches down the line.
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 7:33pm »

I don't wish to start trouble among the brethren  Roll Eyes  but  the  highly strung  thoroughbred  6 pots seem to  more  troublesome   ( just going by the site  threads )   than  the  bog standard   4 cyls.

£500  is a snip,    but beware,    there may  be  tears  before  bedtime.
 ( we've all been there )
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 7:47pm »

on the plus side, i wouldnt swap it for the world, and dont regret the money spent, when its going i am in heaven.

if you are sensible about the repairs, have a have-a-go attitude, and source good second hand parts, it can be kept within reason (a donor car helps  Wink ).

if you are expecting a trouble free few years think again  Grin
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
twinturbo

24V's Me game!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 8:10pm »

@500 you should be able to make a return even if something does go wrong on it.

Only thing to watch for is leaving your wallet in the petrol station. The number of visits you make increases the chances of leaving it compared to owning something like a Panda...  

I did not like the look when they came out, I was not overly keen when I bought mine. But a set of Mondeo 5spoke ( cossie style ) and a set of modifed late style headlamps even has my m8 won over and my brother in law thinking it looks rather MEAN!

TT
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.