Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 1:12pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« An unthinking moment! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   An unthinking moment!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: An unthinking moment!  (Read 1197 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

An unthinking moment!
« on: Feb 4th, 2007, 6:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'd just decended a long steep hill and trying to get myself accustomed to using the autobox to assist the brakes (new to autobox driving), I had put it in 2nd for the decent.

Got to the bottom of the hill onto the flat and I thought better stick it back in D. somewhere between decision and hand, it got translated to a manual change from 3rd to 4th. I moved the shift all the way forward at 60mph just getting almost into P before waking back up. Didn't think you would be able to get it to take R at that speed, but you can and surprisingly gently.  

No damage , despite my stupidity.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: An unthinking moment!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2007, 7:26pm »

hi there

the electronics should prevent any damage. same thing happens in most manuals, which is even stranger!

btw, unless the hill goes on for miles or is very steep, i wouldn't bother changing down. the brakes should cope ok.

hth
IP Logged
Scorpius

95 Cossie in metalic Green. 96 Cossie in red

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2007, 9:30pm »

In fact, if you have a Cossie, you dont use the brakes either.
You just push the accelerator down and enjoy!!!!
LOL

Ian
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 1:11am »

As   long  as  you   didn't    put   it   in to    P   at   60mph Roll Eyes

Has anyone done that,   or is there a safety  device   to prevent accidental  engagement   of the    transmission    lock  when  in   motion ?

I wouldn't want  to test  if there is,     just in case  Lips Sealed  

IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 11:43am »

Would be surprised if there isn't. (Although, I don't have an auto, so I can't test  Roll Eyes)
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 2:42pm »

if you are going down hill some were like cornwall it helps if you switch the overdrive off I found the car on those windy little roads has a tendency to run away with its self and dont forget to switch it back afer the hill ends
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 3:33pm »

It should be impossible to put the car into reverse while travelling along unless you press the release button on the gear stick.  

The only time you need  press that button is to get it out of park and put it into reverse. When changing gear manually there is NO need to press the button. The gear lever should move between 1st and "D"rive without pressing the button!
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 6:35pm »

there sould be a bar that mechanicaly prevents you from putting it into R unless the button is pressed, as snoopy said.  

when i first bought my car, you could change it in to any gear with out pressing the button, found that the plasitc retaining clip had broken and the bar had dropped out!
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 8:22pm »

Ages ago I saw a program it may have been science abuse with hammond.
Basicaly they tried to force an automatic into park and a manual into reverse at something like 50mph as I recall niether would actualy engage.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 8:26pm »

yep, think that the show i saw.

hope so anyway! you'd leave some mark behind after doing that! Wink
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 8:40pm »

Is that on the seat or on the road? Grin
Or both Wink
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 8:58pm »

IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 11:25pm »

on Feb 5th, 2007, 6:35pm, Matt wrote:
there sould be a bar that mechanicaly prevents you from putting it into R unless the button is pressed, as snoopy said.  

when i first bought my car, you could change it in to any gear with out pressing the button, found that the plasitc retaining clip had broken and the bar had dropped out!

I rather think I've got into the habit of pushing the button everytime I touch the shift. It certainly went as far as grating trying to get into P and I got quite a bit of retardation from R, but nothing too dramatic.  

I'm new to auto's, so need to iron out the bad habits. I'm swapping regularly from a manual to auto - I managed to press the brake a couple of times for the clutch and a couple of times forgot to press the clutch stalling the manual Roll Eyes  

IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 11:53pm »

on Feb 5th, 2007, 11:25pm, harry.m1byt wrote:

I'm new to auto's, so need to iron out the bad habits. I'm swapping regularly from a manual to auto - I managed to press the brake a couple of times for the clutch and a couple of times forgot to press the clutch stalling the manual Roll Eyes  

Exactly what i did with the cossie at the beginning, accelerate, brake....accelerate brake.... , also breaking with both legs.....very nasty (those seat belts work a treat Grin )
 Grin, i also stalled the 2.3 a few times until i reminded of the third pedal. The show goes on, in one morning i found out that the 2.3 in first gear doesn't go to fast ....and nope it's not changeing the gears by itself....  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 6th, 2007, 6:39pm »

One terrible thing about the automatic is that when I get a clear road, I sometimes forget what the Sport mode and kickdown are for and have to remind myself Roll Eyes

I switch between manual and auto regularly but I don't normally have a problem, mabye because I've been between both since I started driving, not like driving a manual for 20 years then getting an auto Smiley

With the electronic control, it shouldn't do any damage, same as putting it into 2 or 1 at 100+mph. The Jag at least has an interlock to stop you getting it in or out of park until stationary with the foot brake on (imagine the fun trying to move it with a flat battery, typical British thinking although they do give you a screwdriver to close the sunroof if the battery dies...), but no button or interlock to stop you going into reverse at speed, it must be inhibited somewhere...

It's the old square peg and round hole scenario Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Feb 6th, 2007, 9:54pm »

It took me a while to get the feel of the kickdown enough for over taking and I'm still over doing it. Would be nice to just be able to push a button to get the kickdown, so it goes the instant you press the loud pedal. Can this be done I wonder?
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 7:48pm »

Harry, you're the man with electronic wizardry Wink

I reckon you could, on the non electronic box like you have on the 12v, if you have a kickdown cable or switch then there's your answer...inhibit upshifts without giving it full throttle. What would be great would be a manual type shifter with the auto box but then you're getting into the tiptronic idea...

On the electronic controlled A4LDe, it's all done through the TPS I believe, throttle points control up/downshifts and kickdown. Simpler on the LDE, probably easier to mod.

I liked the sport mode on the Scorpio, couldn't use it before I had the new box fitted - but afterwards it was great, used to give the car a different feel without having to thrash the hell out of it.

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 9:18pm »

I've not even looked at it, other than to think whilst driving it would be more useful to just press a switch to have it ready to roar without the use of full throttle, than have to push the pedal down to the floor with the slight delay.

I'm finding myself following vehicles and doing the kickdown before I need it to prepare it, then having it drop back out before I can actually make use use of it -if that makes sense?

Is it as simple as just a switch down there under the pedal? If so that would just need a switch in parallel with the kickdown switch.

I used to love the overdrive buttons on the manuals, you could sit behind another vehicle in the right gear for overtaking, but with overdrive engaged for slow easy revs, then just drop the overdrive off instantly to overtake for the extra acceleration to overtake. Even slicker than a manual change, because you could use it under power.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 9:25am »

Why go to all the trouble of fitting a switch when all you have to do is manually knock it down an gear or two with the gear change lever. much smoother and easier than kickdown, and you can hold it in the gear without it changing.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 5:39pm »

A switch would not involve the risk of moving the shift all the way forward into P, if I forget I'm driving an auto  after the overtake Grin
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.