Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 9:32am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Temperature Gauge and Cooling Fans »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Temperature Gauge and Cooling Fans
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Temperature Gauge and Cooling Fans  (Read 496 times)
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Temperature Gauge and Cooling Fans
« on: Feb 12th, 2007, 12:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all I am concerned about the Temperature Gauge and Cooling Fans, as some of you know I had a 2 ltr Scorpio until last year and towed with this very successfully..   Last October after a car fire I bought a petrol 2.3 1996 Scorpio Auto gearbox with 77,000 and full service history. I noticed  that  once the car has reached the normal operating temperature the needle at (mid scale) the needle never changes up or down even when climbing the steep moor land  back roads over the Pennines,  or in town driving or standing in traffic jams or crawling forward in heavy traffic for an hour or more.
   In addition to this the cooling fans  on the radiator  have never ever switched themselves on, not even for a second.  
    Yesterday for the first time I towed my caravan with this car, coming up very steep hills the gauge did not move neither did the cooling fans switch on. Even though I could smell the engine was getting hot.!!!!!!!! Even when I was reversing the caravan onto the drive after climbing a very steep hill  the temperature gauge did not move, nor did the fans switch on. People noted how the car smelt hot,
     So is there any advise anyone can offer on how to tell if the fans and their switch are working and does the temperature gauge and the fans work of the same sensor. ANY ADVICE WELCOME .
 IT MAY BE I AM SUPPER CAUTIOUS ON THIS SUBJECT, AFTER THIS HAPPENED ON MY OLD GRANADA SCORPIO MANY YEARS AGO. The gauge did not read hot and the sender in the engine block failed to turn the fans on and the result was a blown cylinder head . Thanks Ashley
P.S
After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[/font] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[font=Verdana] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[/font] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[font=Verdana] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[/font] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[font=Verdana] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[/font] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[font=Verdana] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[/font] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[font=Verdana] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[/font] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[font=Verdana] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[/font] After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC[font=Verdana]

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Temperature Gauge and Cooling Fans
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 2:11pm »

I suggest you look at THIS page and check through the system.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 5:59pm »

Ashley, does it move gradually up from cold at cold starts or just stay at half, even from cold?

The gauge on my 2.3 rarely ever moved from halfway, even in sub zero weather or in traffic. Some gauges are not linear, show mid for a large portion of temperature and then suddenly shoot up when the engine overheats, could this be like the gauge on the Scorpio?

My fans would switch on in traffic, even in colder weather if I was held up on a motorway or something but I never used my car to tow anything or noticed any 'hot' smells.

Regards, Bruce Smiley.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 7:38pm »

Not moving from the mid point is perfectly normal. You can check the guage (only) by shorting the single plug for the actual gauge by shorting it to the engine block which should cause the needle to rise to hot. I think this sender does not operate the fans - these are turned on I think by a second temperature sender unit.

From cold, normal behavior for most cars I have had - is for the gauge to rise to the mid point, then suddenly drop slightly as the thermostat opens, then settle again onto the mid point. My Scorp seems to warm up very quickly, too quick for me to notice the sudden fall as the stat opens.  

On the point about the fans...

On probably the hottest day of last year I did a 100 mile dash on the motorway, parked my 2L Granada straight in the garage and then blanked off the radiator to see if I could get the fans to kick in, as I had the car for six years without them ever being needed. I then took a further half hour of ticking over like this, to actually get them to kick in. I did know the fans were working, but not sure of the temperature switches.

Which only leaves the 'hot smell'. Could that have been due to the clutch, you mentioned manouvering a caravan? Is it a manual? -No, just spotted you said auto!

Your engine generates most of its heat whilst on full throttle, not whilst gently reversing (even with a caravan on tow). I would be surprised if my cooling fans kicked in at all at this time of year.  

I do lots of towing and try my utmost not to have to use the car for manouvering with a manual - it kills clutches. I use a hand winch to reverse the caravan up my drive. Might be more inclined to use the car more for manouvering, now that I have an automatic.  

It might be worth checking both fans turn freely as they are inclined to seize up thorugh lack of use. If you have a/c, then the fans should kick in when you turn that on.    
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
ashley

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 11:33am »

After reading what every one left I HAVE FOUND NO FUSES BLOWN BUT ALSO THE FANS DONT TURN SLOWLEY WHEN AIRCON IS RUNNING ANY FURTHER ADVICE ALSO VERY SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE NOT INTO ELECTRONICS ETC
IP Logged
davidberryman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 3:57pm »

try the large green relay behind o/s headlamp on chassis rail, that was my problem secondhand £3/5 sorted.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.