Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 inlet manifold - good advice needed »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   2.3 inlet manifold - good advice needed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 inlet manifold - good advice needed  (Read 513 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

2.3 inlet manifold - good advice needed
« on: Feb 16th, 2007, 2:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just posted a bit in the news & problems concerning the hassle I've had tonight with that lump of plastic s**t  Roll Eyes

Anyway, got a spare manifold in the post from Scorpius yesterday for the price of the postage (top man  Smiley).......was said to be cracked.

The crack on it (on the body, next to ECT hole) is minute compared to the crack that I repaired on mine a few months ago, & seeing as it is off the car, then a good repair shouldn't be a problem as far as I can see  Smiley....

May give Devcon a ring in the morning, to see if I can get some of there stuff locally. I'm not using that quicksteel again........it may be water proof, but it definately ain't anti-freeze proof  Angry

Anyway, as I've never taken off or fitted a 2.3 inlet manifold, then it would be nice to hear from someone that has.....as I can't find any procedure on the site.

Does it have a proper big gasket, or is it just the rubber port seals that seal it to the head ?
If it's just the rubber port seals, then will I definately need new ones ?.......
& what about the 'O' rings for the fuel rail/injectors....will the old ones suffice, or will they have to be new as well ?
Also the EGR pipe rubber sealing ring....does that need to be new as well?
& what about the IACV double rubber ring seal.....new ?
Oh ,& not forgetting the throttle body rubber sealing ring.....new as well ?

Can't think of anything else I may need at the moment, but I'm sure there is something I've missed  Smiley

Also....what are the torque (Nm) settings for the manifold to head bolts ?

It would be good to have some quick advice...but please, the right advice only (no guessing  Wink), because recently this car (as much as I love it) is really starting to affect my ability to earn a living  Huh

IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: 2.3 inlet manifold
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 3:25am »

Jonny, guessing I know (hit me Roll Eyes) but Matt replaced one with the manifold from a 2.0, it's metal and not plastic apparently; doesn't suffer this fault.  

Might be worth a thought Wink

IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: 2.3 inlet manifold - good advice needed
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 8:44am »

hi jc

torque settings
manifold removal

strange about the quicksteel. never had a problem with my repair (over a year, touch wood etc!). that being said, my manifold wasn't cracked. i had screwed the ect brass nut out of the manifold.

hth
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 10:18am »

Cheers guys,.....If I can't get any Devcon, then I suppose I'll have to persevere with the quicksteel  Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 11:28am »

Can't get the Devcon locally....well not unless I wait a few days. But did manage to get some J-B Weld, so gonna give that a go  Smiley
IP Logged
davidberryman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 3:47pm »

recently replaced my cracked manifold (having removed it the crack would be almost impossible to repair properly) got second hand from spikies scorpios via e-bay, as for removal, straight forward enough just take ya time, didn't replace seals only EGR gskt.
hardest bit is removal of lower three studs (star socket reqd), without removal of these you ain't gonna get manifold off, dont forget to remeber orientation of EGR pipe from rear of block with trans dipstick (if auto) i did and had to backpedal a bit.
Just a thought but if you've any reservations about your Fuel cut-off loom nows the ideal time to change it, i did as had been repaired poorly.
Good luck
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 8:17pm »

Thanks for tips mate  Wink

P.S...how much did you pay Steve Saville for the manifold.
I see he's trying to get £155 for them now  Shocked
IP Logged
davidberryman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 5:33pm »

asked for £95 + £20 post, accepted £100.00 delivered, guess he knows they're hard to find and taking advantage!
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 1:06am »

Job almost done....just got to flush the system through & refill it....then, fingers crossed, I'm back on the road  Wink

For anyone that was thinking........  

......."I bet when he gets the manifold off, he'll find that the head is cracked between the water port & number one"........

.....I was thinking that as well, but no crack....just residue from the old rubber gaskets & some carbon staining  Smiley

P.S....there were two cracks on the new manifold....a small one where the ECT housing starts (only about 5mm, & hadn't gone all the way through)....& a larger one on top of the T-stat housing (can't think how I didn't initially see it), which was an inch long & went all the way through.

Anyway....sealed both cracks outside & inside with a hot knife & applied 'J-B Weld' to inside & outside.  

I said earlier in this post that I didn't think 'Quicksteel' was anti-freeze proof....it looks as though I was wrong, as the quicksteel that was applied to the crack on the inside of the old manifold was still holding strong.
On saying that though...the quicksteel that was holding the ECT brass nut in gave way for some reason  Huh

The J-B Weld that I've used this time does seem alot stronger than the Quicksteel (took 15 hours to cure) & seems to have a better bond to the plastic.
Although I didn't have to apply it to the brass nuts, as they were intact....I did anyway, just to make sure  Wink

So hopefully, the repair will be permanent & no more advice needed......cheers all  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 5:54am »

Good luck JC.....I think you're due some!.  Wink Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 1:07pm »

hi jc

what are you doing with you're old manifold. do you plan to fix that as a spare? how was the cracks compared to the 'new' one? same places?

IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 7:57pm »

The old manifold was cracked in a different place. It was cracked from the matrix outlet to the end of the ECT hole, so holding the ECT brass nut in was almost impossible as the housing would force apart.

Ran into another problem today though.  
Noticed that the matrix pipe outlet seemed a bit loose, so I gave it a tug & guess what, yep, it came out  Angry....
The rubber sealing ring had disintigrated. Managed to get the one out of my old manifold & the rubber ring was fine, so just hammered it home (lightly) & it seemed nice & tight.
But as a rule...if it's come out once, then it is bound to come out again.....so I slapped a load more J-B Weld around that as well    Grin.......should have hardened by the morning.  Wink

I don't think I'll be repairing the old one again....I think it's gone past that point  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.