Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v Radiators »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   24v Radiators
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v Radiators  (Read 633 times)
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

24v Radiators
« on: Feb 19th, 2007, 10:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been running a 24v with a 2.3 radiator in it for nearly two years now with no problems whatsoever.
I replaced the header tank (the 24v one with the extra pipe) with the one from the 2.3 to make it compatible with the 2.3 radiator but kept the 24v coolant tank cap.

I know the 24v radiator has a larger size core than the others plus the extra pipe on the top but thats nearly two years and 50,000 miles free from 24v radiator problems.

Thunderchild has also now fitted a 2.3 radiator to his 24v and so far its running fine too.
Maybe a cheaper and more reliable option to replacing the very expensive 24v radiator which would appear to have a production flaw?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Re: 24v Radiators
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 9:20pm »

Interesting....

I have just had to replace my radiator, due to a leak at the side, not ballooning.  

I knew the price was high but even Ford Parts UK wanted nearly £400 including the VAT. I found one on eBay in the end that was used but guaranteed ok. Bought it for £50 and the guy even delivered it  Cool

Going to get my old one reconditioned to have as a spare but this is interesting. How much do 2.3 rads go for? Are they easy (or easier) to come by?
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 11:53pm »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-GRANADA-AND-SCORPIO-DOHC-2000-RADIATOR-91-98_ W0QQitemZ150094061988QQihZ005QQcategoryZ21654QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the manual radiator, you need an auto radiator for the 24v but seen the 2.0 2.3 ones on ebay for £40-50 new.

I did it because i had a 2.3 radiator spare and wouldnt pay the £300+ to Ford for the 24v one! Smiley
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 11:55pm »

Dave was yours leaking from the crimped seal? where the cores connect to the plastic side??
I've seen a lot go there, I think it a fault with the radiators
IP Logged

DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 1:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am not convinced with that swap.  My car (unbeknown to me at time of purchase) has a 2.9 12v rad fitted which later appeared very ballooned.

When I had the garage do the timing chains (yes, mine's the 24v) they told about the wrong rad being fitted and said they would fit the correct 24v rad.

Well after we found out the garage had wrecked my cars engine after they did not know what they were doing with the timing chains, we also discovered that the so-called 24v rad was indeed another 12v,..yes, they had charged me for a 24v rad too!

Anyway, in the end got the proper 24v rad from a company called Kempston Radiators in Bedford.  Prices are real good and I would also go as far as to say that it's a no brainer if you buy a 24v rad from them as opposed risking putting in a rad that it not designed for the job at hand Wink
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 8:18am »

on Feb 20th, 2007, 11:55pm, Highlander wrote:
Dave was yours leaking from the crimped seal? where the cores connect to the plastic side??
I've seen a lot go there, I think it a fault with the radiators

Thats the place! It was in quite good nick apart from that, fins were ok etc.
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 8:32am »

on Feb 21st, 2007, 1:25am, DJWerkz wrote:
I would also go as far as to say that it's a no brainer if you buy a 24v rad from them as opposed risking putting in a rad that it not designed for the job at hand Wink

The design is faulty though DJ!

I accept the 24v radiator design is different for a reason (whatever that many be) but a radiator shouldnt balloon or leak from the seals as a very large number of them do.
Your recon radiator should be ok but a lot of original Ford ones seem to be faulty.

And, as I said thats 50,000 miles mine has done with no problems (which it couldnt do with a 24v radiator) Wink
IP Logged

DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 9:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 21st, 2007, 8:32am, Highlander wrote:

The design is faulty though DJ!

...on many original units but there are recon and new rads available for the 24v which are no problem.  Bill Field has his own rads for the 24v which I understand are very good.

on Feb 21st, 2007, 8:32am, Highlander wrote:

I accept the 24v radiator design is different for a reason  

Exactly, something to do with internal pressure no doubt and the way water needs to move around, which is probably why the hose layout is slightly different.

My replacement seems to be OK so farbut whatever we do to keep these cars running has to be good Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.