Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 10:08pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Both Fans Running on high »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Both Fans Running on high
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Both Fans Running on high  (Read 481 times)
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Both Fans Running on high
« on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

On my 2.3 both the fans are running all the time, I have tried all things I could including the green relay under the o/s Headlight, I have fitted another hbc module, the aircon was regassed prior to having another engine fitted (aicon seems to work ok now although hard to tell given the present climate), changed the thermostat etc etc.
The temp guage stays on cold for quite a long time (probably due to the fans running) but then rises and settles in the mid position, all coolant levels are ok and there are never any issues with overheating.  Sometimes the idle is a little erratic but settles after a while...
Think thats it, driving me mad.  I am now looking at replacing the ECT sensor next, I figure that if the ecu is controling the fans then maybe the ecu is getting false info from this sensor,,,, Huh any thoughts anyone?

Thanks inadvance
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: Both Fans Running on high
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:44pm »

There are two wires connecting the fan relay tower (big green relay behind headlamp) with the ECU.  What speed the fans run at depends on which one of these are connected to ground.  Obviously the ECU can switch the fans on at either speed, but the air-con system will also bring the fans on either fast or slow and either permanently or as needed, depending on how your car was wired (this varied between models and years though it should be the same for all!).

Do the fans run with the A/C switched off?  If so then it could be a duff temp sensor, ECU or short in the wiring.  If it only runs with the A/C on then you can modify the wiring in front of the radiator to make the fans only come on (at your preferred speed) when needed.  Mine are set to operate on low speed when the A/C pressure goes above a certain level, though from Ford they just ran all the time the A/C was operating...

Darren
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24th, 2007, 2:29pm »

hi there

there's a similar pronlem on the mailing list at present. my thoughts are with the a/c.... a pressure issue.

to completely disable the a/c, unplug the pressure switch down to the left of the passenger h/light. you'll find the plug just under the air intake.

the fans will continue to work as normal regarding engine temp, but shouldn't run in slow/fast unless engine requires them.

if this is the case, imo, then it's the a/c.

hth
IP Logged
T_reg

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 7:16pm »

I had this problem, turned out to be the de-ice switch, see this to test it before changing.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/deicetest.htm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.