Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:36am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Hello + a basic question »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Hello + a basic question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello + a basic question  (Read 775 times)
SteveR

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Hello + a basic question
« on: Feb 27th, 2007, 9:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all, I'm Steve. Smiley

first off I'd like to say what a fantastic site this is.  I've already found it extremely useful and I've only had my Scorpio (R-reg 2.3l 'Ultima', auto) for 4~5 months. Smiley

I have to admit, although I look after every car I have ever owned, the Scorpio  isn't actually my pride & joy (I also have a mkiv Toyota Supra).  I bought it and use it purely as a runaround and motorway cruiser (where I get nearly 40mpg!).  However!  I'm really pleased with it - it's a FANTASTIC car and I can't actually imagine being without it now.  I love it and even forgive it's initially ugly front - the car has grown on me so much I quite like it now!  Grin

I have 3 quick questions I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I can answer in 2 seconds flat.  I have searched the site but failed to find the details for my model (have found every other!  Roll Eyes)...
1 - what grade of oil should I be using, and how much will I need for a full change?
2 - where should i get PSF from, to 'top up' - Ford or...?  Again what grade/part number?
3 - What spark plugs do I need and at what gap?

Many thanks all Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Hello + a basic question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 10:17am »

Hi & welcome.....

I use 5/30 semi-synthetic oil in my 2.3, & it usually takes about 4.5 litres. When re-filling, I use a measuring jug & fill it slowly until it reaches half way on the dipstick. Then run it for a while, let it settle & re-check it.

As for PS fluid, Dexron II or III . When I recently replaced my steering rack I found that the fliud in it was green  Shocked (not sure what is was)....so I flushed it & re-filled it with Dexron II which states on it "exceeds Ford M2C specifications"  Smiley

Spark Plugs for 2.3 are Motorcraft 'AGPS 22P1' or NGK 'PFR6B II', & are platinum tipped. The plug gap is pre-set to 1mm.  Smiley

More info can be found here...scroll down about half way........
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/engdata2.htm

Good luck  Wink
IP Logged
SteveR

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 8:50pm »

Fantastic, thanks jonnycab! Smiley

Forgto to say, I also have the 'fans seem to be on most of the time - even from cold start' problem (temp needle stays v low), and the boot thinks it's open even though it isn't.  Will try to fix that this weekend when I do a service. Smiley
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 7:04pm »

Try turning off the air-con/climate control and see if the fans stop - if so then it's because (IMHO) Ford wired the aircon up wrong but it can be corrected...

Darren
IP Logged
SteveR

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:02am »

Cheers Darren, the air con (on/off) and fan settings (auto/off/on) don't seem to affect the fans coming on, but I'll double check.

I think it's probably a duff temperature sensor; I know there are two but haven't got further into an analysis than that...
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 3rd, 2007, 5:58pm »

Iirc, the fans will come on as long as the air stream is directed to the front window. Try directing the air to the foot wells and turn it to 'off'.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
SteveR

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 10:32am »

I think I've tried everything, but will double check when I get the chance.

Even on a 100 mile journey the temp needle will rarely move into the middle of the 'normal' range, it generally sits in the blue bit right just off the bottom of the range.  Occasionally it seems to realise it's doing too good a job of cooling the car and the needle will reach half way, but sooner of later the fans come back on and drag it back down to the blue bit  Huh
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 1:07pm »

It could be the thermostat sticking open...are all the pipes getting hot ?..

Also a faulty ECT could be telling the ECU to switch on the rad fans at the wrong temperature (ECT is the sensor in the T-stat housing with the round multiplug, as opposed to the temp sender, next to it, which has a square multiplug)  Smiley
IP Logged
SteveR

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 3:24pm »

Thanks again Johnnycab, I'll do a fuller diagnostic as soon as I get chance.  First off, I want to get this service done; the rain at the weekend scuppered my plans unfortunately, but I'll get there! Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.