Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:28am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New Owner (Help Needed!) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   New Owner (Help Needed!)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Owner (Help Needed!)  (Read 1000 times)
fallendark

1995 2.0 16v Ultima Saloon

View Profile

New Owner (Help Needed!)
« on: Mar 7th, 2007, 7:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Firstly let me say hello, and what a great site!! ive only had my scorp 5 days (2.0 16v Manual Ultima Saloon, M Reg 140,000 on the clock lol!) just got it with tax and test for £490!!  

Anyway, basicaly im in need of a little help with her, the previous owner has well neglected the car to say the least, ive managed to clean her up quite nice but there are a few problems. The horn, light for the clock and the cruise control all dont work, the guy who had it before me stated that they all stopped working at the same time?? ive investigated the fuse for the horn, fitted a new one which it blew the second i pressed the horn? could this be a problem with the relay and are these three things connectedHuh im at a loss!!

Secondly, what size are the front speakers?? they need to be changed but i just wanna know what i can get in there..

All in all she is a lovely car, im really impressed!!!  

Thanks to you all in advance!

RP
IP Logged

"We live in a dog town and its a dalmation parade"
fallendark

View Profile

Re: New Owner (Help Needed!)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 7:26pm »

Oh there is one more thing, the second i start the car the Aircon comes on automaticaly? is this normal??

Many thanks
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 8:14pm »

Hello and welcome to the site Smiley

With the aircon, yes this is normal. If you switch it off it'll come back on the next time you start the car. I always left mine on anyway, keeps the compressor running among other things.

With your other problem, sounds like something's shorting out on one of the looms.

The Scorpio wiring diagrams are here, don't take any notice that they're labelled Sierra, they are for the Scorpio Wink

Good luck.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 8:25pm »

Re the aircon, yes if it is set on "screen".

There is probably a short circuit in your horn circuit somewhere. Try checking for continuity between the terminals on the horns with a multi meter. (There shouldn't be any)

The clock bulb is probably blown (a common problem). You need to remove the dashboard fascia to get to it. There is a pdf on it on the site somewhere.

The cruise control can be a multitude of things, someone else may be able to help more, but check that the "extra" throttle cable is hooked up to the actuator behind the grille.

And the speakers are 4", but you will  need an adapter plate before new ones will fit (not difficult to make). I made a set out of 1.5mm aluminium, and cut them myself with a finetoothed saw.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome to the site. Good luck sorting out your problems.  Wink
IP Logged
dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 9:45pm »

Hi, i had the same problem with my horn but couldnt find the cause.  Its located just behind the front bumper on the drivers side, i replaced mine as it was well messy.  The clock bulb is reasonably easy, i managed to remove mine by undoing the screws above the stereo and above the clocks and it comes forward just enough to get a short possie screw driver behind.  As for the speakers i dont know the size but there are a few people breaking scorps that you could get a pair from, hope this ahs helped
jim  Wink
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
fallendark

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 9:53pm »

Thanks to you all! The mot is due next month so i think i shoudl get the horn problem sorted first!!  

IP Logged

fallendark

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 9:54pm »

on Mar 7th, 2007, 9:45pm, dogma wrote:
Hi, i had the same problem with my horn but couldnt find the cause.  Its located just behind the front bumper on the drivers side, i replaced mine as it was well messy.  The clock bulb is reasonably easy, i managed to remove mine by undoing the screws above the stereo and above the clocks and it comes forward just enough to get a short possie screw driver behind.  As for the speakers i dont know the size but there are a few people breaking scorps that you could get a pair from, hope this ahs helped
jim  Wink

Dogma do you mean you replaced the horn unit and it worked? because if thats the case then i know what im doing over the weekend lol
IP Logged

Scorpius

95 Cossie in metalic Green. 96 Cossie in red

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 9:55am »

No Horn and Cruise.

Mine had this fault. Take off the airbag and steering wheel and you will find a coil sprung cable that supplies these two items. You will find that it is broken.
Replace it and all will be well.
WARNING: disconnect the battery at least 15 mins before removing airbag.

Ian
IP Logged
fallendark

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 10:45am »

on Mar 8th, 2007, 9:55am, Scorpius wrote:
No Horn and Cruise.

Mine had this fault. Take off the airbag and steering wheel and you will find a coil sprung cable that supplies these two items. You will find that it is broken.
Replace it and all will be well.
WARNING: disconnect the battery at least 15 mins before removing airbag.

Ian

Ian thanks so much!! this cable is it a FMD part?  

Thanks again!
IP Logged

fallendark

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 11:32am »

on Mar 8th, 2007, 10:45am, fallendark wrote:

Ian thanks so much!! this cable is it a FMD part?  

Thanks again!

I just ordered it from Fords, £38+ !! hopefully this sorts it out because the mot is up next month and shes not passing without a horn!!

Thanks!!
IP Logged

dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12th, 2007, 3:45am »

Fallen dark, sorry i didnt reply to your question, the answer was yes, the horn is located in a rather strange spot, where it is splashed with all sorts, the one i removed was well nackered.  An easy was to test it is to quickly run a volt through from a 12 volt battery, this worked for me and t was well dead.
jim
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 11:29pm »

For the horn, you might try disconnecting both under the car and seeing if the fuse still blows. They are between bumper and mudguard and collect lots of water/mud, but are easy to get to and unplug the spade terminals. If it doesn't blow, you have found the problem, so just try connecting back up one at a time.  

My cruise wasn't working, which I traced to a little oxidation on the pins of the controller itself. It is a small black box hidden above the panel, by your knee as you drive. Remove the kick panel, then unplug the unit and check for oxidation on the pins. Just spray with WD40 and plug/unplug a few times to clear it. Another possibilty is that the actuator has failed/ is disconnected etc.. This is at the very front of the car, near the radiator. Look for the Bowden cable (like a bike brake cable) that operates the throttle and follow it around to the actuator to find the latter unit. Check the Bowden is properly connected at both ends. How you could test it further without a rolling road, or a willing volunteer to sit atop the radiator as you drive at above 25mph I don't know Smiley
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
karl

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 12:17am »

RE: 1997 2.3 AUTO 16V SCORPIO ESTATE
can anybody give me any help regarding the changing of a new timming chain.  I have bought one but it doesnt have the markings on it that you need to line up with the marks on the cam pullies.  I was hoping some one may have a picture or photo of an old chain with the original different coloured links so i can count the links between the gold links to mark up my new chain.  Any response will be much appreciated thanks karl.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.