Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:28am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« How does a 2.3 clutch look like »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   How does a 2.3 clutch look like
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How does a 2.3 clutch look like  (Read 650 times)
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

How does a 2.3 clutch look like
« on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there, it's been a while since i wrote something here.

To cut a story short, i need to change the clutch on my 2.3. The symptoms hard to change 1,2,3 gears, also when the revs are high the gearbox changes harder. Also it doesn't operate smooth, and sometimes on harder acceleration it slips.

I went at my favorite ford parts dealer and i ordered an after market clutch made bay SACHS. The thing that bothers me is that the disk doesn't have any torsional springs. We have triple checked with Sachs and it states that this is the thing for my 2.3.

I have read Kjetil's article here
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1158008042;start=

but my clutch looks like:

IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

Re: How does a 2.3 clutch look like
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:25pm »

http://webcat.zf-trading.com/index.asp

Here you can select the type of car, using this it returns exactly the stuff i bought.... i hope i'll not dismantle the car and find out it doesn't match. As for the price of the ford original one it's almost twice over the after market one which is not cheap at all. If lets say the original one has the springs and i put this on, what effects should i encounter. Also i remember that the 2.3 had a problem with the disks

on Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:15pm, Octavian_P wrote:
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.28/1999
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 08.04.1999
Section: 16
Model: Scorpio '97 with 2.3 DOHC 16V engine, manual transmission and tow bar, built from 07.96 to
06.98 (build code TD to WU)
Markets: All
Subject: Clutch failure / overheated clutch disc when towing
Summary
Should a customer express concern about clutch failure and/or an overheated clutch disc when towing, this
could be caused by excessive clutch operation resulting from the
overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high. overall ratio of the drive train being too high.

To resolve the concern, the manual transmission should be removed and a revised clutch disc installed.
NOTE:
The revised clutch disc must only be installed in vehicles with overheated clutch discs. If the revised clutch
disc is installed in vehicles with less load on the clutch, this can lead to clutch judder and increased clutch
wear.
Remove the manual transmission (refer to the Scorpio Service Microfiche, Operation Number 16 114 0) and
Install a revised clutch disc (see Parts Required) (refer to the Scorpio Service Microfiche, Operation Number
16 724 4).

IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:37pm »

Also i found this after some searching

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1151498695;start=2#2
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 1:51am »

Kjetil has a 1995 2.0, the same as I used to have, which used to have the old Granada clutch in it.

From 1996, Ford fitted a new, dual mass flywheel clutch to all 2.0 & 2.3 Scorps....I'm not entirely sure (I've never seen one), but this is probably what you have got...so it probably is right.

I think the price may confirm it....a new clutch in my old 1995 Scorp, fitted was £160. A friend who had a 1996 2.3 at the same time paid £700 for a new, dual mass clutch & flywheel  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 8:43am »

Tat certainly looks like the 2.3 clutch, I had mine replaced when I had a replacement engine fitted, it cost £200 including the thrust bearing thingy, I still have the old one though its gone a bit rusty now, could take a photo if it will help

pete Cool
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 8:47am »

springs / damper are all in the 'dual mass' you should replace this when you replace the clutch, it may have more to do with your hard change than you think, bit expensive though, nearly all cart & vans are fitted with dual mass now, and 'carm' units thats the slave cylinder / clutch release bearing, replace that also.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 10:34am »

Thanks you all for the quick replies, it seems like I'm doomed. The price for the flywheel is way over my head and the hydraulic concentric bearing costs as two clutch kits  Tongue

I'll have a chat with my mechanic and keep you posted.

Thank you once again
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 8:41pm »

The friction disc you have is designed to go with a dual-mass flywheel which is what was fitted to the 2.3

The new disc may not cure any judder (unless it was badly worn or contaminated), but should stop the slipping.  I wouldn't have thought you'd need to change the DMF unless it was faulty (i.e. the two halves were seized together or had lots of play), and in normaly use it's the friction disc which will wear out first.  Ditto for the hydraulic piston.

I don't think a standard friction disc would sit on the flywheel properly, and in any case, it wouldn't acheive anything useful if it did.

Go ahead and fit the new bits and I think you'll be fine - sounds like your existing clutch is sticking on the splines, worn or not engaging with enough spring pressure.  Don't forget a bit of copper grease on the input shaft splines to make sure the disc can slide on it freely...

Darren
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2007, 12:22am »

Okey

The plot thickens. Looking into microcat i found out that the 2.0 and 2.3 share the same flywheel / clutch / drive plate (same finis code, same price). Also on the flywheel category there are two types available for both cars. One which has a more sensible price and another one worth it's value in heaviness of gold ...  

And maybe a clutch related problem.

Sometimes when engaging first gear, theres a slight thump forward. Also when in gear and running a sudden depression of the accelerator makes another thump like theres a lot of play in the drive. When accelerating again theres another thump... Also at very low speed like 2nd gear with no acceleration the car behaves weird doing like a kangaroo, thumping between engine and drive train... Could it be drive shaft related... ?  

PS: Thanks Darren for the tips, i also received in the KIT a small plastic envelope containing "special clutch grease" .
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 11:37pm »

If there's play in the drive-train then you might want to check the condition of the rubber 'dougnut' vibration damper on the propeller shaft - this can cause that.  Unfortunately so can a broken DMF...

Darren
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 8:05am »

Agree

I was just thinking about that elastic coupling  Wink Well i'll have to go to my mechanic because i don't have the tools and the place to start dismantling it  Tongue
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.