Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« AC Light »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   AC Light
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: AC Light  (Read 373 times)
DJWerkz

Email

AC Light
« on: Mar 16th, 2007, 7:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Been meaning to ask this question for some time just to make sure everything is running as it should.

I am in the habit of keeping everything switched off when parking up, which includes turning the heater/AC controls to off.

When starting the car and turning on the blower control the little green LED light on the AC button always comes on, indicating that the AC system has been switched on.  This happens no matter what the temp setting.

Is this normal?  Seems a little strange to mee that I should have to keep pressing the AC button to turn it off every time I start the car.
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: AC Light
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 7:54am »

Craig...
i'm sure the default setting for the a/c is on,no matter what position you leave it in,whenever you switch the ignition on the a/c automatically comes on....
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 8:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Craig is corect the DEFAULT is ON.  
Also remember that even with the green light off when the airflow is turned to SCREEN the a/c is ON. Its all in the Handbook . and if you haven't got one there is a copy on the main site HANDBOOK is HERE
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 9:04am »

Thanks guys,...RTFM eh!

Seems like a stupid design to me.  If the AC always comes on when the car is switched on, even if the green light is out at what point does it switch off?  Better get the manual out,...as if I don't have enough to read as it is already!!!
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 10:20am »

As well  keeping the car cool in summer,  the A/C's  job,  all the year round, is to    to clear the screen and  rid the interior of  the car of damp air  on start  up.

Why turn it off anyway  ?

This myth  that   it wastes petrol is pure.......erm,    myth. Kiss
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 10:27am »

Well my background is in Quality Systems management and anything I look at I think about whether it's  efficient or not.  Running the AC in a permanently on mode is not efficient in my book.

As for keep the glass de-misted the AC only needs to do this for very minimal periods, it doe snot need to be on permanently.

Plus I have to totally disagree with you on the petrol issue.  I have owned numeorus cars over the years with AC and every single one of them, including the Scorpio does use more fuel when the AC compressor is running.  Most owners manuals will tell you that.

But hey, if you are fortunate enough to run your car without much care for how much fuel it's using (I've been there before when running American V8's), then you are not really going to be too bothered about counting your pennies in fuel economy. Wink
IP Logged
dannynic

2.3 Manual Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 6:28pm »

Alot of well specced half decent cars are designed to be run with the air con on all the time; obviously you can manually switch off and save fuel but its designed for a comfort thing I think. My previous omega was like this, as well as my mates passat and my other mates jag. All with climate control instead of just air con by the way. Wink
IP Logged

I really want a cosworth!
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 8:10pm »

there was a test done on air con;  a car was run round a track with windows shut, air con on, then the same car doing same speed etc but with air con off, all windows open. it actually used more fuel with the air con off due to the turbulance created by the open windows, however this was at a set speed of around 60mph, the result would be different with stop start town driving....
IP Logged

pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 8:17pm »

this has puzzled me ..i have x2 scorpios
one always turns the ac on when ignition turned on the other doesnt  
so wheres the answer to that ?.. there maybe is an option to store that option somehow

IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 8:26pm »

Mine defaults to 'on', but it will remember the previous setting if the ignition is turned on within an hour or so.

Darren
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17th, 2007, 12:30pm »

The default settings for this and other setting such as flash on lock etc can be altered in the ecu but I think you need to go to the fmd to have it done, also the ecu software can be updated although it's not always a wise move... so I'm told... Huh

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.